A380 Min Velocity Take off test

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related videos and photos.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

joco
Rank 4
Rank 4

A380 Min Velocity Take off test

Post by joco »

---------- ADS -----------

joco
AMM
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: A380 Min Velocity Take off test

Post by AMM »

Was the double contact strike (one with the strike plate and the other with the tail cone) in the first video intentional? Compared to the second video and a similar video of the 777 test I saw, it begs the question.

joco
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by joco »

It looks to me that for a split sec the a/c was riding on its tail, just watch when the main gears lift and that the a/c rolls a bit left and right. I think that the tail strike was not planned, but the rwy end was coming and they tried to lift it off the rwy. It is my belief that that upon lift-off they lower the nose to gain airpeed. The tail went up pretty fast in relation to the visible part of the body on the right side of the screen.

joco
AMM
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by AMM »

I'm aware its a certification test. Its pretty obvious even without reading the video title. And its still a tail strike even if its a test.

I was pointing out that in the first video there was ground contact with both the "crush can" and the further aft tail section. This doesn't happen in the second video, nor in this similar 777 test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VqG2WRe ... re=related).

Just wondering if the double contact was accidental or not.

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

AMM wrote:I'm aware its a certification test. Its pretty obvious even without reading the video title. And its still a tail strike even if its a test.

I was pointing out that in the first video there was ground contact with both the "crush can" and the further aft tail section. This doesn't happen in the second video, nor in this similar 777 test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VqG2WRe ... re=related).

Just wondering if the double contact was accidental or not.

The double contact was NOT planned. Check out this clip from a documentary about the plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwQMXz9PbrY

AMM
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by AMM »

MapleFlag wrote:No insult intended, chill man.
None taken. I guess I came across a bit defensive.

Thanks Pygmie :smt023

Makes one wonder why they didn't have two safe contact points on that massive tail.
Also if the 380 went through steel plates that easlity, whats with the 777 using oak .:?

Return to “Aviation Videos & Photos”