22 Million HP Rocket Test

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related videos and photos.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

22 Million HP Rocket Test

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Testing a 22 million HP rocket motor. 30,000 lbs of cO2 to extinguish the flames when done.

This is the Ares 1 rocket. Development in 2007 and first flight was expected to be in 2014. This was canceled in 2010 due to the government cutting NASA's budget. In 2011 NASA lost the shuttle program too.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=be3_1414299356
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: 22 Million HP Rocket Test

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Now THAT'S a FIRE!!!

sidestick stirrer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sidestick stirrer »

Brings memories off how Russia decommissioned their ICBM's under the SALT agreement.
They dug a big trench, lay the missile down so its tail was angled up and then lit it off, the result looking quite similar to this video.
I've often wondered how that was possible if it was liquid fueled as the tank skins are very thin but perhaps it was just the boosters being burnt off.
Also wondered if the spin of our planet would be affected if all 400+ of them were fired at the same time...

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Zero horsepower. :wink:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
vanNostrum
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by vanNostrum »

I read somewhere that a magnitude 9 heart quake could change the rotational speed of earth by 1.8 microseconds.
The amount of energy released by the hq is around Joules 1.9 followed by 18 ceros
If 400 rockets like this were placed in the Ecuator facing E to speed up or W to slow down the earth rotation, firing them at the same time would release approx 16.3 GJoules of energy a miniscule amount compare to the 10 followed by 29 ceros Joules that is earth rotational energy :rolleyes: . I love to see this 400 rockets firing in unison :prayer:
Disclaimer I'm not an expert on anything , just find the post interesting and try to find an answer with some quick grade 3 math calculations
Cheers
vN

Return to “Aviation Videos & Photos”