YYC base destinations

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

proflight
Rank 1
Rank 1

YYC base destinations

Post by proflight »

Hello all,

I am starting the initial ground school soon and want to gather some information before the base and equipment bidding. I am highly interested to bid for the YYC base if there is any opening and would like to know some of destinations that rj and q from YYC. And is there any dash operation out of YYC nowadays?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: YYC base destinations

Post by Rowdy »

YYC has all three fleet types presently. YVR is now the only base that doesn't have each fleet type. Although this seems to constantly change.

In the initial ground school, they will have a pre determined list of aircraft/bases for you to essentially draw straws and bid on, on day two. You kind of get what you get though. check the other thread on bids to see whats been offered recently. I foresee a lot of YVR Q and CRJ FO spots.

After that, Jazz holds two annual equipment/base bids. Although they do sometimes backfill open positions on same type. You are frozen on type for upto 24 months as an FO. The upgrade will unfreeze you for type.

The CRJ services a lot of US destinations with a handful of Canadian ones, I'd have to look through the YYC bid packages, but I seem to remember destinations like san diego, san francisco, chicago, houston, winnipeg, ottawa and some maritime spots. More and more as we transition the fleet towards the CRJ.

The Q does seattle, portland, all the west coast spots such as nanaimo, comox, victoria, kelowna, kamloops, prince george, fort st john, and a lot of prairie flying from YYC as well. Regina, saskatoon, edmonton, winnipeg, ft mac, as well as yellowknife. It'll start picking up a lot of the classic fleet flying too. You can end up anywhere system wide though as Air Canada shifts flying around.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

The Classic DH8 in YYC is about to see quite the reduction (forecast) so I wouldn't pick the DH8 YYC. The May DH8 bid pack shows 80% of the flying either YVR based coastal flying or YYZ based flying.....telling.

proflight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by proflight »

Rowdy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:21 pm YYC has all three fleet types presently. YVR is now the only base that doesn't have each fleet type. Although this seems to constantly change.

In the initial ground school, they will have a pre determined list of aircraft/bases for you to essentially draw straws and bid on, on day two. You kind of get what you get though. check the other thread on bids to see whats been offered recently. I foresee a lot of YVR Q and CRJ FO spots.

After that, Jazz holds two annual equipment/base bids. Although they do sometimes backfill open positions on same type. You are frozen on type for upto 24 months as an FO. The upgrade will unfreeze you for type.

The CRJ services a lot of US destinations with a handful of Canadian ones, I'd have to look through the YYC bid packages, but I seem to remember destinations like san diego, san francisco, chicago, houston, winnipeg, ottawa and some maritime spots. More and more as we transition the fleet towards the CRJ.

The Q does seattle, portland, all the west coast spots such as nanaimo, comox, victoria, kelowna, kamloops, prince george, fort st john, and a lot of prairie flying from YYC as well. Regina, saskatoon, edmonton, winnipeg, ft mac, as well as yellowknife. It'll start picking up a lot of the classic fleet flying too. You can end up anywhere system wide though as Air Canada shifts flying around.
I guess it would be nice to have q or rj even if I don't get the yyc base. How long does it usually take to get base change? I wouldn't mind commuting to yvr, but living in a same base would be really nice. And does the lifestyle fairly similar in between q and rj?

Thank you for the reply.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Seems western Q is a bit of a slog. Lots of short hops, while RJ is nicer long legs, from what has been before anyways.

proflight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by proflight »

C-GGGQ wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:58 pm Seems western Q is a bit of a slog. Lots of short hops, while RJ is nicer long legs, from what has been before anyways.
I wish I can get rj, but from what I saw in the last bid, q seems like a trend in western ops. I wouldn't mind q as long as working hours and lifestyle are similar.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I wish I had the problem of picking between Q and RJ :lol: instead of sitting in a snowstorm in a semi waiting on a groundschool date for a small 703

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

YVR has a lot of open positions for the Q from the last bid. YYC I do believe was full, so it will depend on how many people senior to you want to get into that base (and as the Classic is reduced in YYC I can only assume the guys from the Classic will slide over to the Q positions CA and FO).
YVR Commute is the easiest in the system in my opinion plus great overnights. The flying is tough though. The working conditions on the Q are drastically different than the RJ. Basically two different airlines lol, the Q you will see 4-7 leg days and in YVR you'll be doing a lot of short short sectors between YVR and YYJ/YCD.

proflight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by proflight »

KenoraPilot wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:04 am YVR has a lot of open positions for the Q from the last bid. YYC I do believe was full, so it will depend on how many people senior to you want to get into that base (and as the Classic is reduced in YYC I can only assume the guys from the Classic will slide over to the Q positions CA and FO).
YVR Commute is the easiest in the system in my opinion plus great overnights. The flying is tough though. The working conditions on the Q are drastically different than the RJ. Basically two different airlines lol, the Q you will see 4-7 leg days and in YVR you'll be doing a lot of short short sectors between YVR and YYJ/YCD.
That’s good to know. Thanks!
By the way how the yvr commuting the easiest? Heard it got harder due to max grounding nowadays.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

C-GGGQ wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:09 pm I wish I had the problem of picking between Q and RJ :lol: instead of sitting in a snowstorm in a semi waiting on a groundschool date for a small 703
It sounds horrible waiting to do your 500th hour that way...

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Unclench dude. I'm not complaining, just telling OP that his "problem" is a pretty decent one to have. On that note, what did you finally end up picking/ getting proflight?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

proflight wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:14 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:04 am YVR has a lot of open positions for the Q from the last bid. YYC I do believe was full, so it will depend on how many people senior to you want to get into that base (and as the Classic is reduced in YYC I can only assume the guys from the Classic will slide over to the Q positions CA and FO).
That’s good to know. Thanks!
By the way how the yvr commuting the easiest? Heard it got harder due to max grounding nowadays.
In terms of frequency and gaining and hour when going to YVR instead of losing 2 hours when travelling to YYZ. More options also to travel through YLW, YEG, YKA to get to and from YVR if need be. YYZ......is a long 4 hour flight losing 2 hours and often hammered at the end of the night coming back to YYC. Life style and body physiology its a much nicer commute. YEG-YVR almost always has open seats and you'll also be able to access WJ for commuting as well which doesn't over book. I have zero issues commuting to YVR for the 7mths when I started.

Everything is kinda sideways with the 737 Max down, however, the YYC-YVR route was usually on the 320/319 anyways so it wasn't effected as much as the YYZ route which had multiple 737M flights a day.

proflight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by proflight »

C-GGGQ wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:59 am Unclench dude. I'm not complaining, just telling OP that his "problem" is a pretty decent one to have. On that note, what did you finally end up picking/ getting proflight?
My ground school hasn't started yet. The reason why I was asking all the questions is I am current ALPA member, and the company I am currently working has the seniority mobility program with Jazz. You probably know which company I am working by now. I assume I will have some options to choose, and I want the position that will work the best for my family. But I bet any position would be better than grooming a plane when it is -30 degrees outside.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Well good luck with the bid. Hope they have what you want.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”