Jazz APP aviation pathway program

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

YJL
Rank 0
Rank 0

Jazz APP aviation pathway program

Post by YJL »

Hi Folks,

What are the chances that Jazz will hire straight out of college again in 4/5 years for Seneca College? Anybody went through the selection process? What grades on TC exams are needed?

Many Thanks,
Daniel
---------- ADS -----------

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Jazz APP aviation pathway program

Post by FL-280 »

Who knows now. I don't think Jazz will hire for 3 years... and then plenty of 703/704 pilots with decent hours will be willing to work for Jazz and will be applying. A company will always go with the most experience their starting salary will get them IMHO....
I think covid 19 has put us back into the stone age for a while.
best of luck, don't let this negative sentiment floating around stop you! Things will pick back up and you will find a spot somewhere with time

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I unfortunately think there will be more layoffs at AC and Jazz before there is hiring. I have been hearing the US border may be closed to leisure travel till next year. 3 years seems possible for hiring again but who knows. There definitely won’t be a pilot shortage for many years now and I doubt they will need to hire right out of flight schools for a very long time.

Let’s Go Brandon
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

At this point in time the future of AC (jazz by extension) and WJ are in question. Trying figure out if they will hire out of flight school is impossible when no one knows what the airline industry will look like a year from now.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Not the end of the world though. There will still be jobs up north for new pilots and it’s always nice to hear stories from the north when I fly with new hires. You’ll look back on your career more fondly someday if you have a few stories to share about flying to #$&@ Lake or *#+@ House rather than how you graduated from Seneca and still live in your parents basement and you’re renting a C150 to get your night X-country for your ATPL.

Let’s Go Brandon
L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

Looking out 4 or 5 years from now when you would presumably graduate, I think (and it's just a guess like anyone else is too) that the industry will be back to pre-COVID levels of travel. Just a few moments ago, the Finance Minister indicated that the economy is going to shrink by 6.8% this year but bounce back by 5.5% in 2021. They cite private sector economists for these numbers.

If so and since air travel moves in lockstep with the economy, by 2022 or a tad later we should be back to a pre-COVID air passenger environment. All things being equal all AC and Jazz pilots should be back to work.

AC will be retiring about 100 or so pilots per year even after the early retirement package offered earlier; that will expedite the recalls of any furloughed pilots and, once they are all back, produce hiring of which 60% or roughly 60 or so per year will come from Jazz. This will, in turn, create openings at Jazz. Unless Jazz cancels its Pathways program with the colleges it means that Jazz will be drawing the top graduates from the colleges again.

Considering that your window of hiring would not be until 2024 or 2025, you should be fine. It's difficult to see the forest through the trees at this time but the longer term outlook still remains positive.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 am I unfortunately think there will be more layoffs at AC and Jazz before there is hiring. I have been hearing the US border may be closed to leisure travel till next year. 3 years seems possible for hiring again but who knows. There definitely won’t be a pilot shortage for many years now and I doubt they will need to hire right out of flight schools for a very long time.
I strongly suspect Jazz will be recalling pilots before the end of the year. Perhaps even before the end of the year.

I suspect Air Canada is well positioned to handle the market as is. Unless there is a serious second wave that drives travel into the ground, which I doubt. The modeling of Covid-19 hasn't been right once, not even close. Not sure why governments keep relying on them to make decisions. In any case, Air Canada, I doubt more layoffs. Jazz, pilots recalled before end of year (at least 200). That is my bet!

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

truedude wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:53 pm
Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 am I unfortunately think there will be more layoffs at AC and Jazz before there is hiring. I have been hearing the US border may be closed to leisure travel till next year. 3 years seems possible for hiring again but who knows. There definitely won’t be a pilot shortage for many years now and I doubt they will need to hire right out of flight schools for a very long time.
I strongly suspect Jazz will be recalling pilots before the end of the year. Perhaps even before the end of the year.

I suspect Air Canada is well positioned to handle the market as is. Unless there is a serious second wave that drives travel into the ground, which I doubt. The modeling of Covid-19 hasn't been right once, not even close. Not sure why governments keep relying on them to make decisions. In any case, Air Canada, I doubt more layoffs. Jazz, pilots recalled before end of year (at least 200). That is my bet!
I hope you are right however I am not so optimistic. I don't see anyone at Jazz being recalled before spring 2021 or after a vaccine comes out.

Blueshift
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blueshift »

YJL, no one will be able to give you the answer you're looking for with any certainty. One thing to note is that with this slow-down, experience levels will increase throughout the industry. Pilots who would've otherwise soon left their 703/704 with 1500hrs to go to Jazz will now be applying with 2500hrs-3000hrs+, if hiring restarts two years from now. Jazz will have less of an incentive to seek low-time straight-from-college applicants, with the wealth of experience available to them already. It may very well shift back to what we saw prior to 2015/2017, where only a few students were selected into the Jazz APP program from across the country.

Bottom line: I'd highly suggest not basing any decisions on whether the Jazz APP will be available. It'd be far safer to assume it won't be, and to plan accordingly.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5641745

I can’t see anyone doing a recall as long as the US border remains closed, in fact I’d be shocked if more layoffs don’t come when the LOU’s all the companies signed expire

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

I don't have a dog in this fight, but looking at the last two downturns in aviation....lets say you had started an aviation college program in September 2001, or September 2008. Assuming 4 years to get through....you'd have gotten through in 2005 or 2012, both of which were reasonably good years for pilot hiring, and also were on the leading edge of decent hiring booms (2005-thru early 2008, 2011 thru March 2020).

In a strange way, what is happening may actually have a positive effect on your career years down the road, as I'm guessing a lot of folks will look at the aviation landscape and just not enter it. So, less competition for that airline job, and hopefully that will also manifest itself in terms of better pay / working conditions when you get to somewhere you want to be.

Conversely, I run across a good # of people at my airline who put their career on pause during economic downturns, not fun but they did what they had to do to put food on the table and pay the bills.

Best of luck in your aviation career!

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I for one, am struggling to find any positives in this particular downturn. Even during the "good time", competition was always fierce, regardless of what people would say. It is a bit like that hole left in the bucket of water when you take your hand out. Just keep going and don't think too much about it.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”