Question for Q400 drivers

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Question for Q400 drivers

Post by loopa »

Is there a way to program holds in the FMS and fly them on LNAV or do you guys fly holds traditionally using HDG ? Thanks for the info.
---------- ADS -----------

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Question for Q400 drivers

Post by countryhick »

Holds are programmed and flown with the FMS. Classic Dash also.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Thanks countryhick.

Also another question, when you do the VNAV TO a point, can you do it to two points? Say you are flying an arrival where you have a 21000 or Below restrictions followed by a 14000 and below restriction, can you do the vnav to both points or do you have to do a vnav to the initial point, then do another vnav calculation to the second point?

Thanks this stuff really does help.

Cheers

Loopa

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by countryhick »

All arrivals are in the database, the Vnav will take care of all the altitudes, if it's armed of course!!

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Up to 9 VNAV waypoints can be programmed.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Don't you have to initially do a VNAV TO a way point? Or by simply loading the arrival and arming VNAV it takes care of them?

Another question I had is I understand when you climb/descend in IAS, you use the VS wheel to change the IAS bug. How about when you are level and want to bug a speed for a reference. Is that something you guys don't do or is there a speed bug somewhere that I'm missing?

Gah the biggest adjustment is getting used to hitting ALT SEL every time I bug a new altitude. So annoying :lol:

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

loopa wrote:Don't you have to initially do a VNAV TO a way point? Or by simply loading the arrival and arming VNAV it takes care of them?

Can be done either way. When the STAR is loaded, simply enter the desired rate of descent in the VNAV page and when TOD arrives, select VNAV and away you go, provided a lower alt has been entered in the alt sel.

Another question I had is I understand when you climb/descend in IAS, you use the VS wheel to change the IAS bug. How about when you are level and want to bug a speed for a reference. Is that something you guys don't do or is there a speed bug somewhere that I'm missing?

We don't typically set a speed bug for reference for cruise flight or assigned speeds. You could use the open or solid delta bugs if you want, but it may interfere with duties already complete (ie approach prep setting Vref speeds).

Gah the biggest adjustment is getting used to hitting ALT SEL every time I bug a new altitude. So annoying :lol:

Be glad you don't fly a classic Dash. They don't have the line drawn between the selector and the Alt Sel to remind you to hit the button. At least we get that ;)

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Canoehead. Thanks so much!

And lol about your ALT sel comment :lol:

MCB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MCB »

Some language NSFW, but hilarious and accurate:

http://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments ... me/cq26tut

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

I think there could be a similar rant for any air plane really. Someone really has emotions about the q400 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

MCB - that was funny

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”