CRJ VS Q and Classic

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

CRJ VS Q and Classic

Post by iamnomaverick »

Looking to hear opinions from Jazz guys and gals on what you think would be a better choice as far as life style (schedule, pay, upgrade times) and career move if was given the choice between the CRJ and the Dash...Naturally I would always go with jets for the jet time but I hear a lot of people pick the Q-400 instead so I was wondering if there's something I should know.

And that's if bases is not an issue.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Ruddervator
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: CRJ VS Q and Classic

Post by Ruddervator »

The RJ tends to have more senior guys and gals on it, so those first few months on reserve will be very slow since there won't be many people booking off. Much better to start on the classic or the Q and then bid over to the RJ later after you're able to hold a block. At least, that's just my opinion.

Mach7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mach7 »

If you are a new hire at Jazz, the equipment type and base decision will be made for you. Most likely you will get CRJ as they seem to be quite short on that vehicle.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

From what I understand that's not totally true. While it won't be made for you, you'll be limited in your options. For example they may say for your ground school of 13 new hires you get to choose from the following..

5x CRJ YYC
5x Q YYC
1x -8 YVR
2x -8 YYZ

If you're a current/previous ALPA member I believe you get first choice. So while the options may be limited by the time you get your pick, it's not really "chosen for you."

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

The Q is the plane that will see an increase in positions over the next few years while the other 2 will see a reduction in numbers. The pay is the same for all types while the Dash classic pay tops out at year 7 the other types will continue to see pay increases.

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

Looking at the August bid list there is 57 open 400 F/O slots between YYZ/YYC. By far the biggest opening.

A V I A T O
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by A V I A T O »

Made it to medical stage, dont mean to count chickens before they hatch, but nonetheless curious..

Could anyone shed some light on what life and pairings are generally like on various types and bases? I understand reserve is reserve, so lets assume a junior flying block.

Mostly interested in favored layover spots, typical number of legs, and length of legs etc...

Can you bid pairings at bases all across the system? IE a guy based in toronto is bored of seeing flatness and wants to do some flying on the west coast?

Interested in YYZ, but im under no illusions as to how difficult that will be to get after the last equipment bid. Thus begs the question, if given all three fleets as an option at YUL, which would be the most commutable, if it makes a difference.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

FWIW Your initial hire equipment award has absolutely zero impact on upgrade time. You are upgraded at Jazz based solely on your seniority #. You can start with the DH8 and then upgrade directly onto the RJ. If you have the seniority to hold the position, you can have it. Currently the most junior captain award was YVR DH8 hired in Nov of 2015.

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

Can you bid pairings at bases all across the system?

No, you can only bid on the pairing package for your base and equipment. Now that being said, some of the trips in your bid package might include trips to the far flung regions of this country. In that case...bid away.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Once the monthly schedules are published, you can use FLica to trade, drop or add flying from other bases. If there was enough open time available in another base, you could theoretically drop all your DH400 flying in YYZ and replace it with all DH4 YUL based flying. Of course you would be responsible for getting yourself to/from YUL to do the flying(although sometimes the YUL based flying starts or ends with a Deadhead from YUL to YYZ .

A V I A T O
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by A V I A T O »

Can you use FLICA to add flights on SDOs to get Overtime? or is there a more thorough process of getting OT approved.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

You can add overtime with FLICA once you hit 85 hours for the month as long as the flying is in open. Otherwise, any flying that you add before you've hit 85 is straight time unless it's a WDO.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

85hrs is the magical number for Overtime. Unless you've signed up for WDO's and then when they call to offer you flying on a day off, it'll be overtime and you'll be asked if you want it banked or paid out. You don;t get overtime under 85hrs if you pick up flying on a day off. Other than WDO's there is no overtime until 85hrs.

You can pick up as much flying from FLICA as you can (CARs and contract permitting). Although I find it increasingly difficult to drop flying. There are many overtime champs who watch it like a hawk though, so the good flying disappears quickly.

As far as which to pick.. you must ask yourself what you want.

What base? What leg length? Where do you want to overnight?

The CRJ does longer but fewer legs. Out of YYC and YVR it'll mostly go to houston, whitehorse, regina, toronto, san diego etc. Its no longer based in YYZ. As already mentioned, the skippers tend to be older and higher seniority.

The Q does a lot of the heavy lifting and central flying. It is fairly junior in the system thus far. Regina, Saskatoon, yellowknife, edmonton, mcmurray. Once in YVR it'll keep doing Portland, Seattle, Kelowna and vancouver island bounces when the loads warrant. I think we will only see an increase in its utilization out west. I have no idea what it does in YYZ. To me the world ends east of those big rocks ;)

The classic does all of the smaller routes and smaller communities.(the 100's hang out in YYZ and YUL, only 300's in YVR and YYC) In YYZ you'll see sudbury, Timmins, North Bay, Sault, with the occasional forays into quebec and the maritimes. In YVR it goes everywhere in BC, the calgary classic base is quite small but mimics it. Overnights in nanaimo, victoria, kamloops, kelowna, penticton, terrace, calgary, edmonton, grade prairie and the occasional ft mac. Until now it was the only bird in YVR. It WAS very senior but thats changing quickly.

They all pay the same. They are all just airplanes. I'd never pick one based on schedule as it changes. I'd be picking a base. The flying out west so far has been pretty good.

Good Luck!@

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Rowdy wrote:85hrs is the magical number for Overtime. Unless you've signed up for WDO's and then when they call to offer you flying on a day off, it'll be overtime and you'll be asked if you want it banked or paid out. You don;t get overtime under 85hrs if you pick up flying on a day off. Other than WDO's there is no overtime until 85hrs.

You can pick up as much flying from FLICA as you can (CARs and contract permitting). Although I find it increasingly difficult to drop flying. There are many overtime champs who watch it like a hawk though, so the good flying disappears quickly.

As far as which to pick.. you must ask yourself what you want.

What base? What leg length? Where do you want to overnight?

The CRJ does longer but fewer legs. Out of YYC and YVR it'll mostly go to houston, whitehorse, regina, toronto, san diego etc. Its no longer based in YYZ. As already mentioned, the skippers tend to be older and higher seniority.

The Q does a lot of the heavy lifting and central flying. It is fairly junior in the system thus far. Regina, Saskatoon, yellowknife, edmonton, mcmurray. Once in YVR it'll keep doing Portland, Seattle, Kelowna and vancouver island bounces when the loads warrant. I think we will only see an increase in its utilization out west. I have no idea what it does in YYZ. To me the world ends east of those big rocks ;)

The classic does all of the smaller routes and smaller communities.(the 100's hang out in YYZ and YUL, only 300's in YVR and YYC) In YYZ you'll see sudbury, Timmins, North Bay, Sault, with the occasional forays into quebec and the maritimes. In YVR it goes everywhere in BC, the calgary classic base is quite small but mimics it. Overnights in nanaimo, victoria, kamloops, kelowna, penticton, terrace, calgary, edmonton, grade prairie and the occasional ft mac. Until now it was the only bird in YVR. It WAS very senior but thats changing quickly.

They all pay the same. They are all just airplanes. I'd never pick one based on schedule as it changes. I'd be picking a base. The flying out west so far has been pretty good.

Good Luck!@

Well said! +1

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Rowdy wrote:The Q does a lot of the heavy lifting and central flying. It is fairly junior in the system thus far. Regina, Saskatoon, yellowknife, edmonton, mcmurray. Once in YVR it'll keep doing Portland, Seattle, Kelowna and vancouver island bounces when the loads warrant. I think we will only see an increase in its utilization out west. I have no idea what it does in YYZ. To me the world ends east of those big rocks ;)

I assure you a world exists East of the big rocks, and it's the center of the universe (YYZ) ;)

You're right though. One should never chase metal, but rather look at the base and lifestyle. It's the most important thing. If I'm to be lucky enough to get on-board with Jazz, aircraft type would be the least of my concern. Sure the 100s / 300s are a bit older, but they're maintained well and are solid airplanes. I would have no problem flying one.

Das ist mir wurst...
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

The DH8 has the coolest and most fun destinations. It's a real "flying" machine. As well as the best crews....."just my opinion" lol

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”