AC Jazz interview questions, profile and sim 2011-2015

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

suve87
Rank 0
Rank 0

AC Jazz interview questions, profile and sim 2011-2015

Post by suve87 »

please do not write other than this topic.

interview profile
interview questions
interview sim evaluation
---------- ADS -----------

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: AC Jazz interview questions, profile and sim 2011-2015

Post by tipsails »

What?

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I think s/he's looking for recent info on the Jazz interview process...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Viper32
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Viper32 »

Phone Interview to check if your still interested in the position with Jazz including discussing credit hours, bases, willing to move, questions about your licence, medical, citizen or permanent resident, ever had any accidents or convictions in the last 5 years, does employer know your applying for this job, why are choosing Jazz at this point in your career. then decision for face to face interview or not.

Face to Face Interview - ( you sign a paper understand you can be terminated at any point i believe or to that affect and that they can contact your references )
Jazz fly you to the interview if you dont live near the location
Free Limo service over to the Interview building
2 people in the interview - Chief Pilot and HR
Tell me about yourself , career to date
Why Jazz compared to other carriers, what make Jazz stand out to you compared to other comanies
Have you ever SMS anything ,
Tell us about a something in your current company that came into affect lately or changed and weather you agree or disagree with it
What do you like most about your current company
Asked about my Sim time for training and PPC and where i did it and what i thought of the training standards
Why did you leave previous company,
Explained about the AC PML list eligibility
Do you have a ATPL or IATRA can i see your licence and logbook please and copy of supervisory references
any questions for them ...
with your current location would you be willing to move to vancouver if you drew last in the class on selection day ..
Tell us a time when you were in a unfamiliar environment and something unusual you may have eaten and would u or would u not try it again
have you ever worked in an environment with different ethnic cultures, beliefs or ways, how did you like it or adapt or other cultures
Lasted a total of 30 minutes at most then back to airport in Limo service

Sim Eval
Done in YYZ - Jazz pays for flight there
Done in Dash 8 100 simulator - they give u a script and some time in a room with poster of dash 8 to look over the script and the approach plate 1 precision was single engine and 1 non precision approach with missed approach , steep turn 150 kts 360 degrees, NDB holding clearance and 1 turn in the hold , transfer control back forth for briefings, On departure youll fly a SID initially then break off for the airwork - all is done at 150 kts you set the powers, there is no auto pilot or flight director or FMS being used its a fairly straight forward RAW data ride - last 45 mins at most , the sim is quite a bit sensitive but if you stay ahead of it know ur pitch attitudes, fly based of basic principals , if u make mistake say correcting and dont hesitate be assertive and give it all you got for that 45 mins , They dont used the same airport for all sim evals i have heard YYZ YVR and YUL being used

At some point meaning next day all way to weeks ahead youll find out if you passed or not
If successful then
Email for criminal check
Reference Check
Schedule Date for Medical ( urine test ) all paid for by Jazz

Then waiting game begins - hope this info helps

suve87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suve87 »

viper32 you are the best. I can see that you probably got hired too. Just few question when did you do this interview and do they use jepp approach plates .

Viper32
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Viper32 »

Did the Jazz process July - October period 2015 -

Yes they do use the Jepp Approach Plates for the Sim Eval =

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

From what I understand, and I could have misheard but I was under the impression that if you bring a CAP they will let you use it as it's what you're most familiar with using.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

Part of the experience is seeing if you can/willing to learn a new thing. You have 20 min to have a look at ONE approach plate. When I get a minute I will try and post rwy 23 on here.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

You are allowed to however use t/o, hold briefings that you are PRIOVOUSKY used to

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

BingBong wrote:You are allowed to however use t/o, hold briefings that you are PRIOVOUSKY used to
???

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

av8ts wrote:
BingBong wrote:You are allowed to however use t/o, hold briefings that you are PRIOVOUSKY used to
???
He meant "previously" ie if you get your hands on Jazz's briefing SOPS, don't use them. Use what you use at your current employer.

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shivam282 »

Does Jazz Aviation Interview for Pilots include a Mathematics test, or IQ test, or anything related to that sort?

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

There is an online personality test and logic test now prior to the interview.

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shivam282 »

Saxub wrote:There is an online personality test and logic test now prior to the interview.
Does a Logic test involve Mathematics?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Its basic mathematics...

How many cups of coffee can you drink per hour, divided by how many times you need to use the lav. Keep in mind, it's about 4 minutes to TOD at 1500fpm. Do you wait until you're on the gate for a 32 minute turn? Or can you meet all the STAR restrictions at 2000fpm and delay it until you're back in your seat?

Pissing your pants is not an option.

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shivam282 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:Its basic mathematics...

How many cups of coffee can you drink per hour, divided by how many times you need to use the lav. Keep in mind, it's about 4 minutes to TOD at 1500fpm. Do you wait until you're on the gate for a 32 minute turn? Or can you meet all the STAR restrictions at 2000fpm and delay it until you're back in your seat?

Pissing your pants is not an option.
Ok, thank you.

flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: AC Jazz interview questions, profile and sim 2011-2016

Post by flymore »

Good one PostmasterGeneral :lol: I don't think the new version of nickynick got your sarcasm.

I have my 2 cents to add to what viper32 has already mentioned. Recruitment process was mid 2016.

PHONE CALL FOR INTERVIEW
They will ask if you are willing to move bases. The base will be assigned on Day 2 of Groundschool.

ONLINE ASSESSMENT
This has to be done within 5 days of when they call you to book an interview. I wouldn't stress about it. In my opinion, it doesn't disqualify you. Probably just a way to get to know you better and can also give you a few extra points if you do well on some of the learning based stuff.
There are 3 things measured

1. Your Behaviour Style at Work
E.g. Which of the following MOST describes how you work and which the LEAST?
Like a challenge / Thoughtful / Full of Fun / Easy to Get Along With

2. Your learning ability - there are a few different types of questions. I've put an example of each below. These are all time based.
a) Jim is not as tall as Bob. (The statement disappears followed by a question).
Who is taller? Jim/Bob

b) G D Y U
g f y r
See how many letters in the upper row match the lower row. Then answer that number as quickly as possible. In this case: 2

c) 4 12 9
You have to first mentally see which number is the largest and smallest. Then, pick the one that is furthest from the middle number.
So in this case, 12 and 4 are largest and smallest. You would pick 4 because it is furthest from 9.

d) table chair book
Pick the one that doesn't match with the others. In this case, book

There may be some other types. They explain each question and show you a sample before asking you if you are ready to do it. As you can see, you can't study for these and they are actually kinda fun.

3. Emotional IQ
There's a bunch of questions and you have to pick whether you disagree or agree or somewhere in the middle.
a) I don't have a lot of happy memories
b) I'm usually able to control other people
c) I must be under pressure to work hard
Just answer honestly.

INTERVIEW
With ACP and HR
Tell us about your aviation career
Tell us what you know about Jazz
Who is the CEO
Why would you pick Jazz over any other airline
Tell us about a time you were dissatisfied with your company
tell us when you are happiest with your job
What are the responsibilities or duties of your current job
Have you ever experienced someone intolerant about diversity and what did you do
Have you ever delayed a decision and why
What's the most unsafe thing you have seen someone do.
Tell us about a big change you experienced in your career
Have you noticed anything that was inefficient and was going to be inefficient, what you did
Tell us about a time you saw someone do something unsafe and what you did
Have you noticed something go wrong and what did you do
Have you made a mistake. How did you address it in the future.
What would your references say about your attendance and punctuality

SIM EVAL
King Air 200 Sim in Seneca College Toronto
45 minutes to study the speeds/config and SID/Approach plates

Takeoff, followed by steep turn, followed by hold over NDB inbound on the localizer, then a LOC approach followed by a missed, then a Single Engine ILS Approach. About 30 minutes.

REST OF THE CHECKS
References, criminal background, medical test (urine), how much notice you need to start. All expenses paid for by Jazz.

TIMELINE
Application to interview: 5 weeks, Interview to Hire: 6 weeks, Hire to Groundschool: 4 weeks.
Basically you're looking at 2.5 months for the entire process. It may get longer as they're getting busier.

I hope this helps relieve some of the stress of the uncertainty in the recruitment process. Good luck everyone!

flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

I have gotten a few questions about a more specific timeline so here goes. Keep in mind that things are probably going to be longer now and also depends on your availability. I was quite flexible.

Application to phone interview - 1 week
Phone interview to interview - 5 weeks
Phone call for sim eval - called next day
Booked sim eval 1 week later
Morning after sim eval got an Email for medical, criminal background check, reference checks, availablility for start
Medical booked a week later.
Criminal check can be done online yourself and takes 24 hours. Results sent directly to Jazz.

Reference checks could take 3 weeks to 2 months depending on your references so make sure they are available. They first get called to 'book' a phone interview for the next week. Then they are called for the actual interview and get asked a lot of stuff about you, so pick your references wisely.

Email that I got put in a hiring pool about 3 weeks after medical.

Got called for job offer 1 week after that.

Groundschool started 4 weeks after the call.

pilotsky
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilotsky »

Does Jazz usually calle next day after the sim eval?

Last edited by pilotsky on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

I got an email the day after the sim eval for the rest of the checks. I don't know about other people's experience. I don't think they'll wait too long as they do want to get you in as soon as possible, before other carriers take you.

It's hard to judge how well you do in a sim. First of all, you're flying a sim which always sucks. Then the aircraft isn't familiar. You don't know the people you're with. Then you're nervous.

That being said, I think I did quite well for the circumstances, but I doubt that plays a factor in how soon they call you. Jazz is quite short of pilots. As long as you meet the minimum benchmark, you're good. They're not going to be picky when there aren't a lot of choices.

For the sim, keep using the PM and it'll make everything easier. Make them set headings, call altitudes, prompt you if you're deviating, direct you on the missed approach. They all want to help you. Be a cheerful crew member. Show that you will get along well with someone for a 4 day pairing (I was told this a lot by other people haha before I went through the recruitment process).

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”