jazz pool

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: jazz pool

Post by awitzke »

Toronto CRJ, Calgary CRJ, Vancouver Classic and Calgary Q400. I think. Someone told me a week ago, I think I got it right. Lots of Vancouver.
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Multiple friends on the course. 10 YVR dh8 classic. a couple YYC RJ and the rest YYC Q400.

Most of our course, that got YVR, have bid off... so there should be some more spots here.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

I knew I had something off.

I wonder how long it will take for them to find permanent YVR pilots. From what I've heard a fair amount have bid off right away since the slots started coming up in the fall.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

YVR used to be really senior wasn't it? Is everyone bidding away because no one can afford to live there without making 200k+ anymore?

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

fish4life wrote:YVR used to be really senior wasn't it? Is everyone bidding away because no one can afford to live there without making 200k+ anymore?
Lots of expansion plus flow to AC off the Q in YYC is opening up lots of movement of senior FO's in YVR to upgrade onto the Q400 in YYC

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

fish4life wrote:YVR used to be really senior wasn't it? Is everyone bidding away because no one can afford to live there without making 200k+ anymore?

Hey fish4life

You need to explain that to me now.

200k a year min to live in yvr? Like i thought i used expensive face creams in the morning but clearely yours are way more expensive than mine !!! :lol:

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I have to stay pretty from all the night flying without beauty sleep lol.

I was just saying 200k as the income if you wanted to buy any sort of housing out there.

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

In that case yeah the 200k year comes in handy!

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

200k a year to live in YVR? Ya'll are nuts. You can easily live in the area of YVR for Jazz starting pay. No, you won't be living the fanciest of lifestyles but if I was able to do it pretty comfortably for $40k/yr before I got into aviation you can do it too.

You don't need to live in the penthouse of the Shangri La. YVR is about a 30-45 min drive from many different sutable places. I for one lived in South Surrey near White Rock. A mere 30-40min drive and you're at YVR. Yeah it's not next door but hey you're doing the drive once a week there and back on average, no? I wouldn't want to live that far away if I was driving every day to work 703. If pilots commute to different bases to work a 30-40min drive should not be a problem.

You can rent a very nice apartment in that area for under $1000/mo. You can buy a townhouse or apartment for mid 200's. Working at YVR dosent' mean living in downtown Vancouver. There are many many other options that in my opinion give a better quality of life. South Langley, White Rock, South Surrey all are great places to live. Close to the beach, close to transit and a short hop to go downtown if you want to.

There are other options in Richmond as well. Apartments for $600-$1000 within a 5-10min drive of the main terminal or 5 min walk to the Skytrain which takes you direct to the airport.

Another option is the Cambie corridor, which you can expect to see a lot of low rise apartment blocks being built in the next few years. The Canada Line is right on Cambie St and goes right to the Airport.

edit; ok I missed the "buy a house" comment for $200,000k. Which is true and also not. The whole GVRD is a pretty dynamic place where prices can range significantly. If you wanted to buy a house in Vancouver, yeah $200,000k would be nice.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I'm an hour and fifteen away and suffered the commute working in 703 daily. This is much more civilized. Maybe twice a week I make the drive now. Many others commute further distances.

I think the reason we're seeing all the open YVR spots is the folk at the top of the FO list moving to AC or taking Captain spots in YYC/YYZ etc in prep for the move to AC (and the pay bump for the PML)

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Yeah I can see how that would have been tough. 3 hours now taken away from your rest period. If you're working min rest that would be hard.

Most airline pilots I know live in Langley/South Langley/Abby.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”