E-Mail from Jazz to complete application

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

E-Mail from Jazz to complete application

Post by HansDietrich »

Good day,

I'm fairly new on this site, though I have been browsing the job adds now and then. A few months ago I started my application for Jazz, but I haven't actually finished it. Lately I've received automated messages from Jazz "Recruitment" asking me to finish the application. I believe this to be an automated message.

"We have noticed that you have started an application for the Pilot position... at our company but did not complete it."

The question I have is, what if I opt not to finish the application up just yet? Will that reflect badly on my future chances with Jazz? I'm not yet ready to apply to Jazz, even though that's the plan for the future. I have some commitments with my current company and I'm not the type of person that will just walk out on them, especially when they are "bleeding captains". They have treated me quite well and I would like to stay with them for another 6 months or so.

As a side note, I would also like to know what the commuting options are? Once I apply to Jazz, there will be a transition period until my family and I are able to relocate to the future assigned base.

Thanks for your time...
---------- ADS -----------

Das ist mir wurst...
iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: E-Mail from Jazz to complete application

Post by iamnomaverick »

Hi,

Finish up the application and see when/if they call you first... It takes 2-6 months to get hired from the first time they give you a call... You can specify then when you want to leave (You get asked on the very first phone screening regarding your earliest availability).

I was called first week of August and didn't start till January (Although I could have started in November). I would finish the application if I was you and wait for a call then take it from there.

I don't know much about commuting since I plan to live in my base city but I am sure someone here can help you.

Good luck!

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Commuting will be a bit difficult when you first start, it also depends a lot on where you are coming from. The first three months will be a training schedule which I would not consider commuter friendly, then you will most likely be on reserve for another while, this will be 18 days a month and not usually commuter friendly either.
The other thing is, I don't believe the passes kick in for 6 months, so you'll need to get familiar with the Jumpseat agreements which is probably better than using passes, seniority will be your enemy on passes, ie; you have none.
You can also plan on spending about 4-600 a month between commuting and a flop house, again depends on where you're based and where you come from, some airports have a slightly lower AIF and you can find a flop house in YYZ for 100.00/month if you're not too picky.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Training is 100% in toronto. They pay for the hotel, your full salary with per diems and they will fly you anywhere in Canada on confirmed tickets when you have 3 days or more off.

Once you are done training you'll complete line indoc. Depending on your class seniority that will range from 2 weeks to a month and a half. Unfortunately you're at the mercy of crew sched and training capt availability for that period of time.

Once that is complete you can expect 3-6 months of rsv depending on AC type and base (and again, your seniority in your class). You can bid for what time your rsv starts, as well as whether the days of rsv are grouped together or not. I bid 6 on 4 off and that's pretty much what I got for 4 months. Since ive held a flying block I havent worked more than 16 days in a month, usually 15.

You will have to wait 6 months for AC passes but you get both AC and WestJet jumpseats from day one. Most commute with wesjet even with AC passes because it's cheaper. For westjet you simply call the 1-800 # to book the flight and 5 mins later you're good to go. In 6 months out of yvr I've only been bumped once. There are plenty of crashpads at the big Jazz bases ranging from 200-300 a month.

My biggest concern making the move to Jazz was the commute, but it ended up being very straight forward. The vast majority of the people I've worked with at Jazz commute in to yyc.

Best of luck!

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

you anywhere in Canada on confirmed tickets when you have 3 days or more off.
That is simply not true, they will fly you to your base if your base is other than where you're doing your training. Also if you end up on the classic Dash you can expect some training to be in YVR depending on SIM availability.
Positiverate27, if they did fly you anywhere in Canada on your DFDs, I would not brag to anyone about that, especially me because I will 100% file a grievance about this as this was denied to me based on policy. They were more than willing to fly me to my base even though the flight would fly right past my domicile. I was the only commuter in my class and while the others enjoyed a stress free pos space flight home, I was enduring the joys of weekend commutes from YYZ, not pleasant!

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

mbav8r wrote:
you anywhere in Canada on confirmed tickets when you have 3 days or more off.
That is simply not true, they will fly you to your base if your base is other than where you're doing your training. Also if you end up on the classic Dash you can expect some training to be in YVR depending on SIM availability.
Positiverate27, if they did fly you anywhere in Canada on your DFDs, I would not brag to anyone about that, especially me because I will 100% file a grievance about this as this was denied to me based on policy. They were more than willing to fly me to my base even though the flight would fly right past my domicile. I was the only commuter in my class and while the others enjoyed a stress free pos space flight home, I was enduring the joys of weekend commutes from YYZ, not pleasant!

Check your pm's

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Do new hires expect a similar amount of reserve time for each type, or is there a particular type / base that will offer very little time on reserve?

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Perhaps I should clarify. It was my experience that people on my course, including myself, were traveling positive space to their domiciles on groups of 3 days off or more. We were not traveling to our assigned bases, we were traveling to both coasts, direct flights within the AC network from YYZ. This may have changed since my course date. I can't comment on what other courses have experienced since I was hired.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

PointyEngine wrote:Do new hires expect a similar amount of reserve time for each type, or is there a particular type / base that will offer very little time on reserve?
Would depend on how many other pilots below you on your base/type, how many senior pilots bid for reserve and how many lines of flying each month.

Also mbav8r, please relax, what positiverate27 said, you can do. What are you going to grievance about some hearsay on a public forum?

iSight
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iSight »

Reserve definitely depends on how many people are hired into your assigned base on your equipment below you. Prepare for the worst case scenario and cross your fingers for the best. I only did one month on reserve and now I'm holding a flying block (horseshoes, I guess).

During my training, they would fly our class home on pos if we had two or more days off. There were stories of the company flying people to places like Vegas on their days off. They didn't care where you went (you're off). They just said to make sure you were ready to work on Monday (or tuesday or whatever)

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

iSight wrote:Reserve definitely depends on how many people are hired into your assigned base on your equipment below you. Prepare for the worst case scenario and cross your fingers for the best. I only did one month on reserve and now I'm holding a flying block (horseshoes, I guess).

During my training, they would fly our class home on pos if we had two or more days off. There were stories of the company flying people to places like Vegas on their days off. They didn't care where you went (you're off). They just said to make sure you were ready to work on Monday (or tuesday or whatever)

The management that told us the Vegas story first hand didn't seem too impressed by it. I recall that the folks in question booked it through their own travel benefits, and was not arranged as pos space by Jazz.

AvExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AvExpress »

They will only fly you to where you lived/domicile, it's in the contract.

Prior to ground school, I was out west. During my days off in training I was wanting to go east to visit family, and this was simply not allowed, even though the distance was a lot shorter. My training coordinator said only to where I was living prior or new base.

iSight
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iSight »

PositiveRate27 wrote:
iSight wrote:Reserve definitely depends on how many people are hired into your assigned base on your equipment below you. Prepare for the worst case scenario and cross your fingers for the best. I only did one month on reserve and now I'm holding a flying block (horseshoes, I guess).

The management that told us the Vegas story first hand didn't seem too impressed by it. I recall that the folks in question booked it through their own travel benefits, and was not arranged as pos space by Jazz.
That may have been the case with those that travelled in my class as well. I can't recall. I can't seem to find anything in the agreement specifically regarding restrictions to travel on days off during training. It does pay dividends to be very nice to your training coordinator.

To the OP: there is a commuting policy in the contract. Depending on where you live, you may or may not find it a breeze but it's doable. The WestJet jumpseat agreement has been a great thing for me and I continue to use WJ to get to work. The AC passes become my contractual back-up plan.

As others have said, finishing the application is probably best. I don't think it'll look bad if you don't. It just won't get you in contact with an actual human if you don't. The person that handled my application was very accommodating (I deferred my interview by a month and then had to rearrange the sim eval too).

If the plan for the future is to get to Jazz I would have a serious talk with your current employer. Not starting at Jazz for 6 months just to keep your current boss happy is noble but could also hurt you in many ways (seniority, lifestyle, upgrades, pay).

On the flip side, in 6 months you might be happy to have kept your current job.

AvExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AvExpress »

I can't seem to find anything in the agreement specifically regarding restrictions to travel on days off during training. It does pay dividends to be very nice to your training coordinator.
Section 29 LOU #6 part 3)
Of course it always pays to be nice to them or any other employee :)

And OP I second what iSight and others have said, the process can take up to 3-6 mths, and you very likely have the option to defer a gs or 2.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

PositiveRate27 wrote:Training is 100% in toronto. They pay for the hotel, your full salary with per diems and they will fly you anywhere in Canada on confirmed tickets when you have 3 days or more off.

Once you are done training you'll complete line indoc. Depending on your class seniority that will range from 2 weeks to a month and a half. Unfortunately you're at the mercy of crew sched and training capt availability for that period of time.

Once that is complete you can expect 3-6 months of rsv depending on AC type and base (and again, your seniority in your class). You can bid for what time your rsv starts, as well as whether the days of rsv are grouped together or not. I bid 6 on 4 off and that's pretty much what I got for 4 months. Since ive held a flying block I havent worked more than 16 days in a month, usually 15.

You will have to wait 6 months for AC passes but you get both AC and WestJet jumpseats from day one. Most commute with wesjet even with AC passes because it's cheaper. For westjet you simply call the 1-800 # to book the flight and 5 mins later you're good to go. In 6 months out of yvr I've only been bumped once. There are plenty of crashpads at the big Jazz bases ranging from 200-300 a month.

My biggest concern making the move to Jazz was the commute, but it ended up being very straight forward. The vast majority of the people I've worked with at Jazz commute in to yyc.

Best of luck!

Wow. Is this for real? You can actually get "JUMPSEAT" privileges from day one with Air Canada? (I know, not passes, but "jumpseat agreement"). Also, are Jazz pilots allowed in actual jump-seat if the back is full? I used to work for a company that has "Jumpseat agreement" with AC, but we were only allowed in "the back" of the aircraft, for obvious reasons (post 9/11 rules)

Das ist mir wurst...
Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bajan Pilot »

Unless things have changed, and I stand corrected, there is no 'jumpseat agreement' with AC. You can sit in the j/s [except to the US] but you must use a pass. The j/s agreement with WJ is the better deal, but you cannot sit in the j/s.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

HansDietrich wrote:
PositiveRate27 wrote:Training is 100% in toronto. They pay for the hotel, your full salary with per diems and they will fly you anywhere in Canada on confirmed tickets when you have 3 days or more off.

Best of luck!

Wow. Is this for real? You can actually get "JUMPSEAT" privileges from day one with Air Canada? (I know, not passes, but "jumpseat agreement"). Also, are Jazz pilots allowed in actual jump-seat if the back is full? I used to work for a company that has "Jumpseat agreement" with AC, but we were only allowed in "the back" of the aircraft, for obvious reasons (post 9/11 rules)
I did some digging. You get reciprocal jumpseat privileges from West Jet from day one. You can only occupy a cabin seat if one is available. There is no flight deck access. You receive travel privileges with AC after 6 months. You do have Jumpseat access with both Jazz and AC. I've ridden on the jumpseat with AC many times. My experience has been always very pleasant.

As previously stated West Jet is the better price. It's a bit more of a pain to arrange the ticket, but I've found while AC is usually hammered going to YYC, Westjet always seems pretty much wide open. That may just be the time of day I usually commute though.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Glad to hear you've had pleasant experiences. I just want to clear up the differences between 'passes' and 'jumpseats'; Jumpseats arrangements are for pilots to sit in the flight deck, think Catch me if you can, they're a carry over from a bygone era. After Sept 11th the ability to sit in the fight deck with another carrier was taken away from us. Pseudo-agreements like what we now have with WJ where then created in their place, where you can sit in the cabin as a 'jumpseater'. On the bright side, for Air Canada's purposes Mainline, Jazz, Georgian, and Sky Regional are considered to be one company and pilots are eligible for one and others jumpseats.

Passes are for all the airlines employees. At AC all employees must wait 6 months before receiving pass travel privileges, this I'm told was due to issues with new hires abusing the system for a few months then quitting. To aid new hire pilots (at AC) that commute those pilots are given the right to use passes between two cities when they join.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”