Winter Bid released today.

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Winter Bid released today.

Post by Saxub »

Based on how many vacancies at YVR, looks like not a lot of people wanted to make the move.
---------- ADS -----------

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I'm surprised so many vacancies in YVR! Used to be the most most senior base and now it's the most junior. Crazy days!

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Training department will be flat out
The training department has been flat out for a very long time...

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

Maybe they might need to start outsourcing SIM training to CAE or Flight Safety. At least for upgrades or machine changes for current pilots. I wonder how they plan to train all the pilots bidding over to different machines, AND training the new hires to meed the demand required by January. I know of a pilot who was hired this year on the RJ and is now going over to the Q to stay in YYZ. How will their training differ from initial courses?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Saxub wrote:Maybe they might need to start outsourcing SIM training to CAE or Flight Safety. At least for upgrades or machine changes for current pilots. I wonder how they plan to train all the pilots bidding over to different machines, AND training the new hires to meed the demand required by January. I know of a pilot who was hired this year on the RJ and is now going over to the Q to stay in YYZ. How will their training differ from initial courses?
First I'll say NO OUTSOURCING. That's a slippery slope. Everyone going on the Q does the same intial course, whether your off the RJ or a new hire. Those coming off the Dash classic do a little bit of shorter course

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Saxub wrote:I wonder how they plan to train all the pilots bidding over to different machines, AND training the new hires to meed the demand required by January.
Are they? I'd figure they'd stop or dramatically slow external ground schools until they take care of guys that already have a seniority number.

Are they building new sims? I know they're effing expensive, but....

duncan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duncan »

For November anyways the Calgary Q guys will be doing recurrent training in Seattle.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

The rumour is Q sim in YVR.

220 training events from the bid alone, plus another 140 new hire courses. Would be a good time for anyone with the experience to join the training department.

The 3 junior Yvr classic Captains were all in the same nov 2015 class. I'm not sure if that's an anomaly from the base realignment or not. Regardless a big congrats to my classmates.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

goingnowherefast wrote:
Saxub wrote:I wonder how they plan to train all the pilots bidding over to different machines, AND training the new hires to meed the demand required by January.
Are they? I'd figure they'd stop or dramatically slow external ground schools until they take care of guys that already have a seniority number.

Are they building new sims? I know they're effing expensive, but....[/quote

Why retrain current line pilots when there is already a shortage? That now leaves two open spots...

I'm curious if they'll put new hires in class with those that are swapping.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

Rowdy wrote:The rumour is Q sim in YVR.

220 training events from the bid alone, plus another 140 new hire courses. Would be a good time for anyone with the experience to join the training department.

The 3 junior Yvr classic Captains were all in the same nov 2015 class. I'm not sure if that's an anomaly from the base realignment or not. Regardless a big congrats to my classmates.

Has Jazz ever gone on to say why they don't just have some kind of training compound? IE; find some cheap land in the middle of Canada, relocate all the sims and have dorms/cafeteria/classrooms all on site? Given how the training department is full bore all the time they must be spending a lot on hotel rooms and perdiems etc. I think Avianca has something like this and some big airlines overseas.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Rowdy wrote: I'm curious if they'll put new hires in class with those that are swapping.
Quite normal. Happens often.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Saxub wrote:
Has Jazz ever gone on to say why they don't just have some kind of training compound? IE; find some cheap land in the middle of Canada, relocate all the sims and have dorms/cafeteria/classrooms all on site? Given how the training department is full bore all the time they must be spending a lot on hotel rooms and perdiems etc. I think Avianca has something like this and some big airlines overseas.

Will never happen. And this large amount of training thing isn't new...
In fact I believe that the addition of the RJ's and then the massive hiring of 2005-2007 was likely a more significant time in terms of numbers.

I also think that training will be conducted by 3rd parties in the not too far off future.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Rowdy wrote:The rumour is Q sim in YVR.

Would Jazz ever have to hire Direct Entry Captains to fill the ranks, the way Encore has ??

Gravity always wins
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I wouldn't say never but unlikely for a long time to come yet. There are plenty of FOs with thousands of hours who are just bidding for lifestyle, as the Captain spots go more junior, you'll start to see those higher time FOs bid to the left seat.
As the PML runs through, that'll free up some seniority for the long time FOs who chose to stay to bid Captain with decent lifestyle. The problem will come with the next PML, if AC takes a high percentage of the next ones, Jazz will start losing pilots who maybe came here with 1500 hrs and be left with the university grads who will be quite a while to upgrade.
There are plenty of other variables that come to mind but above is my view of the next few years.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Saxub wrote: Has Jazz ever gone on to say why they don't just have some kind of training compound? IE; find some cheap land in the middle of Canada, relocate all the sims and have dorms/cafeteria/classrooms all on site? Given how the training department is full bore all the time they must be spending a lot on hotel rooms and perdiems etc. I think Avianca has something like this and some big airlines overseas.
Have ya ever seen what the YVR CP/Canadian Airlines (now AC) hangar was? Exactly that. Not sure what's happened to it all in last 25 years.

YVR still has a Classic Dash sim anyways too.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

plhought wrote:
Saxub wrote: Has Jazz ever gone on to say why they don't just have some kind of training compound? IE; find some cheap land in the middle of Canada, relocate all the sims and have dorms/cafeteria/classrooms all on site? Given how the training department is full bore all the time they must be spending a lot on hotel rooms and perdiems etc. I think Avianca has something like this and some big airlines overseas.
Have ya ever seen what the YVR CP/Canadian Airlines (now AC) hangar was? Exactly that. Not sure what's happened to it all in last 25 years.

YVR still has a Classic Dash sim anyways too.

I'm too young to remember anything from that time, but I have been in the Jazz/AC building on South Terminal. Not far from the Flying Beaver. Is that the old building? I could tell from being inside with all the classrooms etc. as well as the big area where the sims were that it was built for a purpose.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

Saxub wrote:Not far from the Flying Beaver. Is that the old building? I could tell from being inside with all the classrooms etc. as well as the big area where the sims were that it was built for a purpose.
This is the one i'm talking about: http://cpair.blogspot.ca/2006/02/vancou ... entre.html

Funny how AC is building a new similar facility in Toronto - When this one lays idle (well...idle relative to how busy it was during CP/Canadian Airlines/Aveos/Air Canada days).

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought this may fit here.

An award was released today upgrading 54 folks. Junior captain has a DOH of January 2016, and will be on the Classic in YVR.

Congrats to all the upgrades.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

That's great. I'm curious what spots they will offer on the next few ground-schools. Speaking of which, I heard there might be one on the 12 and one in January? This is exciting news.

Das ist mir wurst...
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

skypirate88 wrote:Junior captain has a DOH of January 2016, and will be on the Classic in YVR.
Congratulations to him, but wow!
Looking at the experience of my friends that went to Jazz, there's a very real possibility that this guy is under 3000 hours and it's quite possible that he's even under 2000. 704 and some 703 companies won't upgrade a guy with that time!

Are there any mechanisms in place to ensure experience?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”