Winter Bid released today.

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Radiocaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Winter Bid released today.

Post by Radiocaster »

As of experience, you need an ATPL to upgrade. The mecanisims are in place to evaluate competence.
---------- ADS -----------

Kardow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kardow »

So, now it is less than a year before being able to go Captain on the classic in YVR... What about the other bases and aircraft?

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

As far as I know as long as you have an ATPL and the seniority to hold the seat, you will be awarded the upgrade. Just because you can hold it though doesn't mean you will make it through the course.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Kardow wrote:So, now it is less than a year before being able to go Captain on the classic in YVR... What about the other bases and aircraft?

YUL DH4 JR Capt went to someone hired in Aug 2015. I think the DH8 was less than that.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I believe there is a sim eval now too. Something new because upgrades used to take several years but now we are into months and very low experience.

Let’s Go Brandon
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Experience cannot be taught even in a sim check.

Many moons ago, wise aviation companies used extensive line indoc and line checks to weed out those who managed to pass the standard ride yet failed miserably during line indoc where thought process is really examined and exposed.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

dhc# wrote:Experience cannot be taught even in a sim check.

Many moons ago, wise aviation companies used extensive line indoc and line checks to weed out those who managed to pass the standard ride yet failed miserably during line indoc where thought process is really examined and exposed.
I think that's a great way to approach this. With that being said, a large number of us, have been with other companies in the left seat before joining Jazz. That experience carries through. Sure, not all flying experience (even PIC) is relevant when it comes to airline command, but some is. Some of us have flown ATRs, Metros, 1900s, King Airs, etc. There's something to be said, say from someone that flew left seat Metro in Northern Ontario, or ATR out in SK.

Das ist mir wurst...
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

goingnowherefast wrote:
skypirate88 wrote:Junior captain has a DOH of January 2016, and will be on the Classic in YVR.
Congratulations to him, but wow!
Looking at the experience of my friends that went to Jazz, there's a very real possibility that this guy is under 3000 hours and it's quite possible that he's even under 2000. 704 and some 703 companies won't upgrade a guy with that time!

Are there any mechanisms in place to ensure experience?
There is an excellent training program in place at Jazz along with some of the most experienced instructors and supervisory pilots anywhere. This along with solid operational control, a Flight Operations Quality Assurance program and well refined Aircraft Operating Manuals (SOP's) provide a substantial safety net.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Bingo rxl

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Ex. 1: A 5-6000 hour coprporate jet pilot, who trains every 12 months often receiving instruction from some American F.S.I. guy whose never touched the plane he's teaching, has little to no knowledge of the candidates company SOP's and flying and is solely there to check boxes and couldn't care less how the candidate does as long as the boxes gets checked. Then is released often in the 604 world with 0 line indoc to fly very little, often with large amounts of down time between flights.

Ex. 2: A 3-4000 hour pilot who goes through an extensive initial training program with trainers who often have decades of experience flying the same aircraft on the same routes using the same procedure. Complete a lengthy line indoc process that must be completed successfully, followed by a line check which also must be completed successfully, then if successful flying regularly doing more hours in a year then most corporate guys do in 5 years and doing recurrent training every 6 months.

If I had the choice of what I'd rather be sitting in the back of when shit hit the fan I'd know what I'd pick for myself and my family.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”