New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: New hire bids

Post by mbav8r »

derateNO wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:44 pm I disagree. With the new 17 year CPA it's shown AC wants LONG TERM stability. The best LONG TERM stability is bringing it back in house. Air Canada already learned that trying to suppress wages and creating infighting between different groups doesn't work AKA GGN. Jazz does the job better than anyone else in Canada and the nay sayers will argue, but it really is a very well run company. AC could benefit from having some of their management and training management integrate into Big Red and fix all the multitude of issues we have.

I would vote in favor of a new LOU/pay tier at AC for a Regional under 76 seat category as long as the scope language was locked up tight and their list was stapled to the bottom of ours (with seat and list protection for the Sr. guys). It would bring AC jobs back to AC and pilots would start accruing seniority from day one flying a Q400 or CRJ. Plus AC could tap the huge amount of experience sitting in pretty useless positions like RP to go left seat in the CRJ or Q400. Right now it's 9 months to the left seat of a CRJ at Jazz, and that's a problem.
Just curious, are you serious?
You seem to be but I can only assume if you are, you’re out of touch with reality.
Without looking for the actual language in the ACPA collective agreement, my understanding is if AC owns 20% of another airline, those pilots will be on the ACPA seniority list, it would be no different than the current AT/ACPA discussion.
I would not support any “stapled” list, protections or not. This does not protect my relative seniority as every single AC pilot would be senior and could parachute in every time there was a vacancy.
AC only needs 10% more of Jazz and we’ll find out what happens but I’m fairly certain it won’t be a stapled list. Personally I don’t think CR would want to open that can of worms, it’s more likely Jazz will absorb SR flying and be the only Express carrier.
---------- ADS -----------

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

If you read my comment you'll notice I said I'd advocate for seat and list protection. Meaning if you are a Captain at Jazz and are #1 on the CRJ YVR list, you stay #1 on that list. If I wanted to go back to being a regional Captain, then I would be below everyone from Jazz on that Captain list, but hold a senority number higher than them. If you decide to move to a WB FO in 5 years then you slot in to where your seniority can hold.

If you think Jazz would ever get anything other than BOTL at AC you are out of your mind. You're a regional airline. AT is not. There's no comparison. If someone who was Jr to me at Jazz jumped ahead of me at AC I'd be hiring a lawyer and filing a DFR.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

derateNO wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:54 pm If you read my comment you'll notice I said I'd advocate for seat and list protection. Meaning if you are a Captain at Jazz and are #1 on the CRJ YVR list, you stay #1 on that list. If I wanted to go back to being a regional Captain, then I would be below everyone from Jazz on that Captain list, but hold a senority number higher than them. If you decide to move to a WB FO in 5 years then you slot in to where your seniority can hold.

If you think Jazz would ever get anything other than BOTL at AC you are out of your mind. You're a regional airline. AT is not. There's no comparison. If someone who was Jr to me at Jazz jumped ahead of me at AC I'd be hiring a lawyer and filing a DFR.
No worries, I don’t want on your list, I’m just a regional pilot who is quite happy to be where I am.
I’m curious though, do you think flying an e190 or 320 is more difficult than an RJ?

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Then you don't need to worry since in my scenario you could stay on whatever it is you're on and never have a AC pilot go ahead of you. If you choose one day you want to make some real money and fly something bigger you'd have the opportunity to do so. And I'm pretty sure you're a minority anyways and 80% of your coworkers would be happy with an arrangement like this. Yes, even some of the old guys. Someone in their 50s could still have a few good years flying the 737 in the left seat if they really wanted to. Can't count the amount of times an older Captain told me they wished they had gone when they had the chance.

A320 yes, EMB maybe not. I dunno, I haven't flown it.

The CRJ is the easiest plane to learn and fly in a Jazz's fleet. Both the dash and Q are more work.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

derateNO wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:12 pm Then you don't need to worry since in my scenario you could stay on whatever it is you're on and never have a AC pilot go ahead of you. If you choose one day you want to make some real money and fly something bigger you'd have the opportunity to do so. And I'm pretty sure you're a minority anyways and 80% of your coworkers would be happy with an arrangement like this. Yes, even some of the old guys. Someone in their 50s could still have a few good years flying the 737 in the left seat if they really wanted to. Can't count the amount of times an older Captain told me they wished they had gone when they had the chance.

A320 yes, EMB maybe not. I dunno, I haven't flown it.

The CRJ is the easiest plane to learn and fly in a Jazz's fleet. Both the dash and Q are more work.
I find this quite comical, the work we do on the RJ is much the same as the A320 and E190, but somehow a Regional pilots is less than.
Anyhow,I hope I don’t find out, I have more to lose than you might think. I’m close enough to retirement that my pension is far more important than flying a bigger airplane.
Cheers

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

derateNO wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:54 pm If you read my comment you'll notice I said I'd advocate for seat and list protection. Meaning if you are a Captain at Jazz and are #1 on the CRJ YVR list, you stay #1 on that list. If I wanted to go back to being a regional Captain, then I would be below everyone from Jazz on that Captain list, but hold a senority number higher than them. If you decide to move to a WB FO in 5 years then you slot in to where your seniority can hold.
That was the proposed Global Solution ‘solution’. For those that can recall, ACPA leadership rejected it.

Perhaps times have changed. But that would require action and involvement from the grass roots.

My sense has generally been that the grass roots care mostly about the grass-self. WHAM theory. etc.

Like I said - time will tell.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

rudder wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:54 pm
That was the proposed Global Solution ‘solution’. For those that can recall, ACPA leadership rejected it.

Perhaps times have changed. But that would require action and involvement from the grass roots.

My sense has generally been that the grass roots care mostly about the grass-self. WHAM theory. etc.

Like I said - time will tell.
I don't really see a downside to that scenario. Everyone at Jazz keeps their seat and their seniority within those who are at Jazz (and against anyone who might bid "down") but then they have the opportunity to bid into a mainline plane if they want to a few years down the road. I would have preferred this option and remained a Captain at "Jazz/Regional Scale" than made the jump to 4 years of flat pay at AC. But it wasn't an option for me, so whatever. But if it solved the issue of people taking big pay cuts to come to AC then that's a good thing. And I'm always in favor of making things better for those who come after me in this industry.

And then AC can have ultimate control on who gets hired, and when you start at AC you go BOTL behind the combined list and fly a CRJ or Q400.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

My guess is that ACPA will be 100% focused on the AT merger and the impact that will have on the membership for the foreseeable future.

If Global Solution 2.0 were ever to make it on the ACPA radar screen, it would probably be out in the 2023 time frame, well after they have digested the consequences of the AT transaction.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

You're probably right.

Let's have them focus on one thing at a time... specifically the AT merger as that will have much more far reaching consequences for the membership.

I still think Jazz and AC really screwed the pooch by not allowing deferrals for say a year or so. It would have made this transition to the HUGE Jazz numbers going to AC much easier, and they have more than enough candidates from WJ and other carriers that they could have hired from them in the mean time. I would have happily continued flying at Jazz for another year or two and as a Captain. Many people's experience is being wasted in seats like RP. We would be more valuable to the AC system flying in the left seat of a smaller aircraft.

The whole industry really is quite fucked when you think about it. Nowhere else do industries not account for experience the way aviation does.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Flightfanatic wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:23 pm Any news on march GS is filled? Anyone got called in?
Yes all March GS are full.

Last edited by KenoraPilot on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

KenoraPilot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:17 am
Flightfanatic wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:23 pm Any news on march GS is filled? Anyone got called in?
Yes both March GS are full.
There is 3 GS in March (2,16,30)

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

There is 3 GS in March (2,16,30)
[/quote]

Is March 30 full?...

Techno
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Techno »

Anyone know what the newest class's slots were?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Techno wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 am Anyone know what the newest class's slots were?
GGN pilots took CA and FO RJ at various bases
OTS: 2x Q400 YYC, 4x DH8 YYC

Flightnerd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flightnerd »

Question about the actual process on GS day 2 for the new hire bid.

I know that you will get seniority decided thru a lottery, and ALPA members get an advantage in choice as well (how much practical difference this will make??)

But what is it like to go thru the process? Are you given time to think about the pros and cons of different types and different bases? Is there somewhere (official) to look and see what equipment is at which base? So that you can pick a type and move to a base later.

I know there is a ton of movement and flux with the types and bases.

I’m just trying to get ready for my March 16th GS

A

Stayfly121
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stayfly121 »

How many people are per GS?

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Classes range from 6 to 18. Usually 14 or so though..

Stayfly121
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stayfly121 »

With the recent GGN merger, I'm assuming there will be very limited number of RJs if any in the next couple GSs?

Last edited by Stayfly121 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Stayfly121 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm With the recent GGN merger, I'm assuming there will be very limited number of RJs if any?
Jazz is loosing over 50 pilots a month to AC. I don't think there's a limited number of anything.

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

derateNO wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:12 pm
Stayfly121 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:09 pm With the recent GGN merger, I'm assuming there will be very limited number of RJs if any?
Jazz is loosing over 50 pilots a month to AC. I don't think there's a limited number of anything.
It’s actually a fact. No RJ was awarded very recently to OTS hires.

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”