New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: New hire bids

Post by Inverted2 »

If big red stops hiring these might be the last groundschools for a while. Only a handful of retirements at Jazz this year.
---------- ADS -----------

Let’s Go Brandon
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:18 pm If big red stops hiring these might be the last groundschools for a while. Only a handful of retirements at Jazz this year.
Just going to have to wait and see what their April bid shows. Lots of rumours flying around, but will have to wait and see. AC retirements are still happening at a high rate, so they will at least need to hire for attrition. Lots of things happening in the world so just going to have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

My guess it it will be status quo.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Anyone care to guess that, if there ends up being a hiring freeze at AC soon, will Jazz still continue to hire to at least fill in the vacancies from the January bid ?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

dhc# wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:53 pm Anyone care to guess that, if there ends up being a hiring freeze at AC soon, will Jazz still continue to hire to at least fill in the vacancies from the January bid ?
Sadly the vacancies in the JAN bid are because of flow to AC. They have a guesstimate of how many Jazz pilots will need to flow to AC (500+ over the next year+). If AC stops hiring, likely Jazz will slow or stop GS's and there may be a new bid or they will hold current baselines until the Aug bid. Likely ALPA would hopefully force them to hold another equipment bid earlier...but likely would also mean quite a few people not upgrading as planned.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I don’t think the hiring at AC or Jazz will stop any time soon. Both AC and Jazz are short on pilots. If anything a slowdown in flying might allow them to catch up.
However I dream of the day we are blocked to 77 hours per month again.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

How deep could it bite, though? Last recession we went through was in '08, and that was largely cured (as I understand it) by printing money, and slashing interest rates. Now that everyone is loaded up with debt, and interest rates are essentially zero, how do they stave off the next recession? Having recently gone through a straitening of my financial circumstances, the first thing that I did was cut travel - no more expensive overseas trips for the little piglets in the summer, and camping trips rather than hotels henceforth.
If the ??900?? vacancies at AC are driven by expansion, not retirements, and the demand behind that expansion shrivels up drastically, with knock-on consequences at Jazz, then it might well be that hiring at both places comes to a crashing halt...

'MAy you live in interesting times', as the saying goes.

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

The 900 vacancies aren't driven largely by expansion but by current shortfalls, retirements and new duty regs.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

derateNO wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:30 pm The 900 vacancies aren't driven largely by expansion but by current shortfalls, retirements and new duty regs.
And 37 more 737Max which may not be coming any longer

Skittles32
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skittles32 »

Sorry, slightly off topic. But just wondering, I am at this link

https://flyjazz.ca/en/careers/pilots/pilot-recruitment/

And it mentions that total compensation for first year FO can be more than $60,000. Just wondering if this is accurate, or how it would be possible. I’m new to the 705 world, and looking at applying. But everything I’ve heard is that new FOs get paid much much less. Is there lots of OT available to be picked up that would allow one to earn that much?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Skittles32 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:22 pm Sorry, slightly off topic. But just wondering, I am at this link

And it mentions that total compensation for first year FO can be more than $60,000. Just wondering if this is accurate, or how it would be possible. I’m new to the 705 world, and looking at applying. But everything I’ve heard is that new FOs get paid much much less. Is there lots of OT available to be picked up that would allow one to earn that much?
First year FO July 2020 will earn $40.80/h blocked at 85h a month = $41,616 roughly annually gross. Then if you're able to hold a block and bid 4 day pairings you'll earn approx: $1300 per diem tax free a month. This is all with things happening perfectly and on time with no RSV months with no flying. I think $60,000 is a high estimate. But you'd earn $50,000 for sure in the first year gross or more. The health benefits are amazing, travel passes are ok, schedules are built with a human block builder who works for ALPA and not a computer program. Commuting policy is amazing and makes life possible even though commuting is expensive and eats into your days off. Minimum 12 days off a month with more off (14-16 days off a month) if you can hold a block and bid high credit pairings.
Over all Jazz is a good place to be, when you start it is rough on the salary and depending on where you live. But there are good supports and its a great opportunity to upgrade quickly and move on to AC if that's your goal.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:52 pm
derateNO wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:30 pm The 900 vacancies aren't driven largely by expansion but by current shortfalls, retirements and new duty regs.
And 37 more 737Max which may not be coming any longer
Yeah, true. But those planes will be replaced by something if they go. We need the lift.

Weather that's more older 320s or NEOs, 330s or A220 options I still think we are OK. I wouldn't worry too much right now, the end of summer things will be more telling on the medium term prospects of hiring at AC and QK.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:46 pm
Skittles32 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:22 pm Sorry, slightly off topic. But just wondering, I am at this link

First year FO July 2020 will earn $40.80/h blocked at 85h a month = $41,616 roughly annually gross. Then if you're able to hold a block and bid 4 day pairings you'll earn approx: $1300 per diem tax free a month. This is all with things happening perfectly and on time with no RSV months with no flying. I think $60,000 is a high estimate. But you'd earn $50,000 for sure in the first year gross or more. The health benefits are amazing, travel passes are ok, schedules are built with a human block builder who works for ALPA and not a computer program. Commuting policy is amazing and makes life possible even though commuting is expensive and eats into your days off. Minimum 12 days off a month with more off (14-16 days off a month) if you can hold a block and bid high credit pairings.
Over all Jazz is a good place to be, when you start it is rough on the salary and depending on where you live. But there are good supports and its a great opportunity to upgrade quickly and move on to AC if that's your goal.
Plus if you pick up a bit of OT here and there things start compounding pretty quickly. I think it's reasonable to say 48-55k gross (no per diems) with a block and 1-2 WDOs a month or more depending on how much you want to work.

Good pointing out all the contract stuff. People really undervalue a lot of that. From Vacation, sick time, benefits, commuting policy etc. It all has value.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

mmm..bacon wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:11 pm How deep could it bite, though? Last recession we went through was in '08, and that was largely cured (as I understand it) by printing money, and slashing interest rates. Now that everyone is loaded up with debt, and interest rates are essentially zero, how do they stave off the next recession? Having recently gone through a straitening of my financial circumstances, the first thing that I did was cut travel - no more expensive overseas trips for the little piglets in the summer, and camping trips rather than hotels henceforth.
If the ??900?? vacancies at AC are driven by expansion, not retirements, and the demand behind that expansion shrivels up drastically, with knock-on consequences at Jazz, then it might well be that hiring at both places comes to a crashing halt...

'MAy you live in interesting times', as the saying goes.
Unfortunately, printing money will not slow down COVID-19.

What is currently happening is going to limit the impact, but the Americans need to step up and start offering more testing. Self isolation is currently our best option.

When the smart people in lab coats are able to convince the bean counters that their vaccine is not going to kill anybody, we'll start to see a larger reduction in the infection rates. Currently it seems that people who have been infected do not get sick again.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

March 16 2020 Class
Positions on all types at all bases. 19 people, 1 DEC.

This will be the last GS until further notice.

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

What’s happened with that last GS? Were they able to complete the initial 2 weeks?

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
M12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by M12 »

nope

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

M12 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 pmnope
What’s the deal then? They keep their seniority number, get furlough and their initial GS is to be completed on the callback?

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Caterpillar wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:24 am
M12 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 pmnope
What’s the deal then? They keep their seniority number, get furlough and their initial GS is to be completed on the callback?
Basically, a seniority number, 10 years of recall rights and then when they are recalled they will finish their initial training.

petersavage_
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by petersavage_ »

Any guesses if they would offer those in the Match 30th Gs a new start day when that time came?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”