New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: New hire bids

Post by Babar350 »

KenoraPilot wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 am
av8ts wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:05 am
KenoraPilot wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:12 pm The equipment bid just came out and looks like Direct Entry Captain Vacancies in YYZ DH8 & YVR Q400
And now also YULQ400
Yup 40+ DEC CA Vacancies in YVR, YYZ and YUL.
Should we be expecting a DEC posting sometime soon?
---------- ADS -----------

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

200 First Officers openings
47 Captain openings.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Ironic.

Jazz absorbs GGN and less than 1 month later will be posting the same DEC ads that GGN had been posting for the last 5 years.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Babar350 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:30 am
KenoraPilot wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 am
av8ts wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:05 am

And now also YULQ400
Yup 40+ DEC CA Vacancies in YVR, YYZ and YUL.
Should we be expecting a DEC posting sometime soon?
Well here's hoping the union does what they say they would, and grind the company hard for pay raises. That was the whole excuse given in the last contract, that they would need DEC and when that happened the union would say no unless big raises. Here's my guess... they change their mind like they always do.

Raincoast
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Raincoast »

ASSuming ~ 20? qualified internal candidates, ya gots to wonder wether the HR monkeys have seen this far out, and have some decent talent coming thru their hiring pipeline?

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Of course they knew this was coming.

Doesn't help that it's impossible for people to get scheduled with a LC for PICUS, and people are loosing PICUS they had done already because of time limits.

This is just the beginning.

I'm calling it, within 5 years JAZZ will be wrapped back up into AC with the list stapled to the bottom with everyone seat protected, and all new AC hires will start by flying RJs and Q400's at the 'Regional' payrate and any new Captains needed will all be from AC who were on flat pay and most of which already came from those planes at Jazz. I'll happily go fly a CRJ or Q400 around for a few more years in the left seat while accruing my AC seniority. I've already done it, after-all.

AC didn't invest 100 million dollars into Chorus and put someone on the board for no reason....

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Flightfanatic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flightfanatic »

Any news on march GS is filled? Anyone got called in?

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

derateNO wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:46 pm Doesn't help that it's impossible for people to get scheduled with a LC for PICUS, and people are loosing PICUS they had done already because of time limits.
Oh, noes! Losing F/O time, as opposed to real PIC that 'they' can't take away from you.. :goodman:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Chips&Pops
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chips&Pops »

North Shore wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:49 pm
derateNO wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:46 pm Doesn't help that it's impossible for people to get scheduled with a LC for PICUS, and people are loosing PICUS they had done already because of time limits.
Oh, noes! Losing F/O time, as opposed to real PIC that 'they' can't take away from you.. :goodman:
I still think 705 multi-crew operation FO time is more valuable and rewarding than renting a 150 at night and doing circuits to get your hours 🤷‍♂️

Just giver bud
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Chips&Pops wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:15 pm
North Shore wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:49 pm
I still think 705 multi-crew operation FO time is more valuable and rewarding than renting a 150 at night and doing circuits to get your hours 🤷‍♂️
It is.

But hey to each their own.

I got my PIC time flying up north and it was a good time. If someone wants to go right to Jazz with 200 hours and spend 2-3 years learning how to operate in a 705 environment they'll do more than a fine job as a Captain. I've seen it first hand... the only downside for the COMPANY is that it takes 2-3 years, not the quality of candidate.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

derateNO wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:46 pm Of course they knew this was coming.

Doesn't help that it's impossible for people to get scheduled with a LC for PICUS, and people are loosing PICUS they had done already because of time limits.

This is just the beginning.

I'm calling it, within 5 years JAZZ will be wrapped back up into AC with the list stapled to the bottom with everyone seat protected, and all new AC hires will start by flying RJs and Q400's at the 'Regional' payrate and any new Captains needed will all be from AC who were on flat pay and most of which already came from those planes at Jazz. I'll happily go fly a CRJ or Q400 around for a few more years in the left seat while accruing my AC seniority. I've already done it, after-all.

AC didn't invest 100 million dollars into Chorus and put someone on the board for no reason....
i seriously doubt that. there's a huge advantage of them having a separate operator, with separate payroll, and a separate union, to isolate themselves from labor disruptions, pay rates, etc. It also makes it easy to select another contractor if Jazz employees complain about their wage etc.

plus the hurdle with ACPA...

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

I disagree. With the new 17 year CPA it's shown AC wants LONG TERM stability. The best LONG TERM stability is bringing it back in house. Air Canada already learned that trying to suppress wages and creating infighting between different groups doesn't work AKA GGN. Jazz does the job better than anyone else in Canada and the nay sayers will argue, but it really is a very well run company. AC could benefit from having some of their management and training management integrate into Big Red and fix all the multitude of issues we have.

I would vote in favor of a new LOU/pay tier at AC for a Regional under 76 seat category as long as the scope language was locked up tight and their list was stapled to the bottom of ours (with seat and list protection for the Sr. guys). It would bring AC jobs back to AC and pilots would start accruing seniority from day one flying a Q400 or CRJ. Plus AC could tap the huge amount of experience sitting in pretty useless positions like RP to go left seat in the CRJ or Q400. Right now it's 9 months to the left seat of a CRJ at Jazz, and that's a problem.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

That will not happen.

ACPA Article 1 (SCOPE) is specific about accrual of seniority. Any variance comes only at the direct consent of ACPA (example was reserved seniority spots in PML 1.0)

There was a brief time in the 1990’s where 100% of AC new-hires had to come from AC Regional. It was time limited and fairly short lived. That LOU did not survive the representational transition of the AC pilots from CALPA to ACPA.

If nothing, the AC pilots have been 100% consistent and 100% successful (mergers notwithstanding) in controlling access to their seniority list.

Best outcome to be considered would be similar to PML 1.0 with a reserved seniority number from entitled PIT course at AC with 24 month deferral rights. This would get Jazz/Express pilots more opportunity to accumulate Part 705 flying experience - including command time - prior to transitioning to AC.

Time will tell.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Never say never.

I'd personally be happy to see it happen. I could go make a living again as a regional Captain.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

derateNO wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:44 pm I disagree. With the new 17 year CPA it's shown AC wants LONG TERM stability. The best LONG TERM stability is bringing it back in house. Air Canada already learned that trying to suppress wages and creating infighting between different groups doesn't work AKA GGN. Jazz does the job better than anyone else in Canada and the nay sayers will argue, but it really is a very well run company. AC could benefit from having some of their management and training management integrate into Big Red and fix all the multitude of issues we have.

I would vote in favor of a new LOU/pay tier at AC for a Regional under 76 seat category as long as the scope language was locked up tight and their list was stapled to the bottom of ours (with seat and list protection for the Sr. guys). It would bring AC jobs back to AC and pilots would start accruing seniority from day one flying a Q400 or CRJ. Plus AC could tap the huge amount of experience sitting in pretty useless positions like RP to go left seat in the CRJ or Q400. Right now it's 9 months to the left seat of a CRJ at Jazz, and that's a problem.
Just curious, are you serious?
You seem to be but I can only assume if you are, you’re out of touch with reality.
Without looking for the actual language in the ACPA collective agreement, my understanding is if AC owns 20% of another airline, those pilots will be on the ACPA seniority list, it would be no different than the current AT/ACPA discussion.
I would not support any “stapled” list, protections or not. This does not protect my relative seniority as every single AC pilot would be senior and could parachute in every time there was a vacancy.
AC only needs 10% more of Jazz and we’ll find out what happens but I’m fairly certain it won’t be a stapled list. Personally I don’t think CR would want to open that can of worms, it’s more likely Jazz will absorb SR flying and be the only Express carrier.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

If you read my comment you'll notice I said I'd advocate for seat and list protection. Meaning if you are a Captain at Jazz and are #1 on the CRJ YVR list, you stay #1 on that list. If I wanted to go back to being a regional Captain, then I would be below everyone from Jazz on that Captain list, but hold a senority number higher than them. If you decide to move to a WB FO in 5 years then you slot in to where your seniority can hold.

If you think Jazz would ever get anything other than BOTL at AC you are out of your mind. You're a regional airline. AT is not. There's no comparison. If someone who was Jr to me at Jazz jumped ahead of me at AC I'd be hiring a lawyer and filing a DFR.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

derateNO wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:54 pm If you read my comment you'll notice I said I'd advocate for seat and list protection. Meaning if you are a Captain at Jazz and are #1 on the CRJ YVR list, you stay #1 on that list. If I wanted to go back to being a regional Captain, then I would be below everyone from Jazz on that Captain list, but hold a senority number higher than them. If you decide to move to a WB FO in 5 years then you slot in to where your seniority can hold.

If you think Jazz would ever get anything other than BOTL at AC you are out of your mind. You're a regional airline. AT is not. There's no comparison. If someone who was Jr to me at Jazz jumped ahead of me at AC I'd be hiring a lawyer and filing a DFR.
No worries, I don’t want on your list, I’m just a regional pilot who is quite happy to be where I am.
I’m curious though, do you think flying an e190 or 320 is more difficult than an RJ?

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Then you don't need to worry since in my scenario you could stay on whatever it is you're on and never have a AC pilot go ahead of you. If you choose one day you want to make some real money and fly something bigger you'd have the opportunity to do so. And I'm pretty sure you're a minority anyways and 80% of your coworkers would be happy with an arrangement like this. Yes, even some of the old guys. Someone in their 50s could still have a few good years flying the 737 in the left seat if they really wanted to. Can't count the amount of times an older Captain told me they wished they had gone when they had the chance.

A320 yes, EMB maybe not. I dunno, I haven't flown it.

The CRJ is the easiest plane to learn and fly in a Jazz's fleet. Both the dash and Q are more work.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

derateNO wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:12 pm Then you don't need to worry since in my scenario you could stay on whatever it is you're on and never have a AC pilot go ahead of you. If you choose one day you want to make some real money and fly something bigger you'd have the opportunity to do so. And I'm pretty sure you're a minority anyways and 80% of your coworkers would be happy with an arrangement like this. Yes, even some of the old guys. Someone in their 50s could still have a few good years flying the 737 in the left seat if they really wanted to. Can't count the amount of times an older Captain told me they wished they had gone when they had the chance.

A320 yes, EMB maybe not. I dunno, I haven't flown it.

The CRJ is the easiest plane to learn and fly in a Jazz's fleet. Both the dash and Q are more work.
I find this quite comical, the work we do on the RJ is much the same as the A320 and E190, but somehow a Regional pilots is less than.
Anyhow,I hope I don’t find out, I have more to lose than you might think. I’m close enough to retirement that my pension is far more important than flying a bigger airplane.
Cheers

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”