Reserve and Holding a Block

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Delta602
Rank 0
Rank 0

Reserve and Holding a Block

Post by Delta602 »

How long after completing training do pilots normally sit on reserve before they can hold a block? I know it must be different for each type/base. But ballpark??

I've searched but couldn't find the answer talked about recently on here.
---------- ADS -----------

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Reserve and Holding a Block

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

Delta602 wrote:How long after completing training do pilots normally sit on reserve before they can hold a block? I know it must be different for each type/base. But ballpark??

I've searched but couldn't find the answer talked about recently on here.
All depends on how fast the list is moving on your type/base. Could be 2 months could be 6. The key would be to look at the people who are training below you as they will be online shortly and move you up the list off reserve. No one under you means it might take a while..

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Reserve can be a good thing. We have some pretty well established rules that make it work out. There is a reason that some fairly senior captains bid it. 2hrs from call to check in. Paid the monthly blocking average whether you get it or not! Set days off. The ability to trade those days of move them (if crew sched will accommodate)

If you're junior, and are only holding crappy pairings (stand ups, way early starts, weekends) you may be able to hold weekends off or avoid the continuous duty pairings while on reserve. If you have a family and want some more time at home and can live within a reasonable drive from the airport, it also work out quite well. As an example, I framed my suite while on reserve in May and only worked 9 days. It also generally gets you some better pairings as senior people tend to book off, or it's easy flying to cover breakdowns etc.

Back to the actual question, it all depends on the base and the relative seniority of the equipment you're on and the month to month demand. I've seen on the classic in YVR, months with NO reserve coverage, and months with 7 or 8 people. Historically, there were people at JAZZ and AC that sat on reserve for years as a result of stagnation. Its another one of those 'crystal ball' predictions. However, with all of this movement and the forecasted hiring for the remainder of 2017 and early 2018, It would be safe to say the time on reserve if you don't want to be on it (commuting etc) should be short.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

YYZ right now for captains you need 12+ years to hold a semi decent block. Only a few months for FOs. YUL and YVR are very junior now on the -8s.

Let’s Go Brandon
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Took 2 months in YUL to hold a block, CRJ FO. Moved to YVR and in the first month I had half res half pairings. Since then though it has been all block flying. Although I flew nicer pairings on reserve.

lock15
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lock15 »

Black_Tusk wrote:Took 2 months in YUL to hold a block, CRJ FO. Moved to YVR and in the first month I had half res half pairings. Since then though it has been all block flying. Although I flew nicer pairings on reserve.
How many people below you on line did you need to secure a block? Do you recall?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

lock15 wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:Took 2 months in YUL to hold a block, CRJ FO. Moved to YVR and in the first month I had half res half pairings. Since then though it has been all block flying. Although I flew nicer pairings on reserve.
How many people below you on line did you need to secure a block? Do you recall?
5 or so. Although one month I was bottom of the list, like the last pilot and I had a block. It varies month to month with how many lines they need. But I'd say 5ish is a good number to pick.

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

Getting off reserve is of course important, but having the last, or one of bottom few flying lines is not the greatest either. Held thr bottom flying line a few months and it was standups, no weekends off, interspersed with early, zero dark silly morning pairings to keep my body guessing.

Hence why i now sometimes bid reserve to get things like weekends off, and to avoid standups. Or get days off in blocks with some certainty jf i wanna do some pass travel. But then again im not a commuter...each lifestyle to their own....

Good luck!

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Just like the above guy said, it's much better to be the top guy on reserve than the lowest guy holding a shitty block. You're allowed to pass on flying if they call you on reserve and there are more junior guys on the list who also fit.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”