Do people go from Jazz to Sky.

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Do people go from Jazz to Sky.

Post by GATRKGA »

rudder wrote:Jazz has a CPA with AC out to Dec 2025 for a minimum of 96 aircraft including 21 CRJ705/900s. That is of course subject to change but would require CHR consent. I am not sure what the terms of the CPA deals with SKY and GGN are as they are not publicly disclosed. Given that AC controls all of the aircraft leases for those carriers, and that they are all used aircraft not subject to long term financing commitments such as the Jazz fleet, I doubt that AC has obligated itself in the longer term. Therefore, one can presume that any potential contraction in the combined Express fleet, particularly the jets, will be targeted where AC has the commercial and contractual flexibility to do so. AC asked ACPA for the ability to expand Rouge using the RRA provision and they got it. I do not expect AC to sit on their hands. As 737's arrive AC will have the ability to retain and deploy more NB Airbus in Rouge colours on RRA routes.

As for fear tactics, that is the oldest trick from the management playbook. Just like firing or disciplining union organizers. But with growth now likely off the table at SKY, upgrade times will increase unless a large swath of SKY CA receive job offers from AC. Hopefully the SKY pilots will look closely at having a voice at the table.
While an old trick, it works on a young mind. No body wants to fear missing out on an upgrade or AC so they all stay quiet. In essence though I agree with you rudder.
---------- ADS -----------

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Oxi wrote:I cannot believe you are complaining about the flying you do and knew you would do when you applied to Jazz and now you don't want to upgrade? Why is 2000 hours flying a classic then going captain on a Q400 enough... why that number?

You should be confident and Jazz etc hires folks to eventually be captains, maybe you aren't cut out for it.
Maybe I'm not, but guess what, I sneaked by those "incompetent" evaluators. Of course, I'm not serious, but we all have a comfort limit and I don't think 500 hrs on a Classic Dash is enough experience to fly as a PIC on an RJ or even Q400. Why 2000 hrs? Because that's a pretty solid number where you can call yourself proficient. Let me say that again. You can have 2000 hrs on the Classic Dash and go left seat on the Q, but I still think going left seat on the RJ you MUST have some jet time experience.

Guess what? I think I'd be a much better RJ captain than a Q captain, because I have a lot of time on business jets.... I've flown them right before I joined Jazz... I had a hard time flying the Dash 8, getting used to a Turboprop and a "steam gauge" cockpit, after coming form high speed, glass cockpit business jets.

Das ist mir wurst...
seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Why has all upgrades halted at Sky ? I am missing something, I just don't what. Please tell me.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

To each their own as far as comfort level but I've gone direct entry captain on the Dash classic and Q having never flown either and it's not that big of deal. Study the SOPs and study hard and it's no big deal. Training is top notch here.

Let’s Go Brandon
Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Inverted2 wrote:To each their own as far as comfort level but I've gone direct entry captain on the Dash classic and Q having never flown either and it's not that big of deal. Study the SOPs and study hard and it's no big deal. Training is top notch here.
agreed

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

seriousflyer wrote:Why has all upgrades halted at Sky ? I am missing something, I just don't what. Please tell me.
Apparently cause AC didn't take the projected numbers so we ended up over staffed. They're finding any reason to not upgrade people right now.

seriousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seriousflyer »

Oh...surprising, thats rough for FOs... Sorry to hear that.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

I have flown with some very capable first officers who are ready for the upgrade that are being told they aren't upgrading due to some very dumb reasons.

That's probably why some are exercising options elsewhere. When you have upgradable first officers being held back, they're experienced enough to get better jobs.

If you're debating leaving for a guaranteed jet just make sure you don't look back on how good you had it at jazz. You left for the jet with an exit strategy of becoming an expat. Do your research before embarking on this path. There's definitely no transparency to the upgrades here, so factor that into your decision making of leaving jazz where seemingly your career has a structure to it.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”