Paternity Leave/ Reduced block

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

stratosphere
Rank 0
Rank 0

Paternity Leave/ Reduced block

Post by stratosphere »

I am a new father and have recently got the call to come fly for Jazz. I am interested if anyone has information regarding working less then the min guaranteed hours. I realize pay is computed by the hour and would directly effect total pay. For my questions, please DISREGARD how it would effect PAY.

I understand one can bid for something called a reduced block. How does that work exactly? Can you set how many hours max you fly in a month? or are there just a few reduced blocks with a first come (seniority based) way of choosing who gets them?

Can a Jazz pilot be assigned a normal (75-80hr) block and then put his flights up on FLICA reducing his total days away? I would assume you must keep a minimum number of hours a month. Is it frowned upon to work less than the guaranteed minimum?

I realize it is considered unsavory to start a new job with the thought of wanting to take paternity leave right away. I have asked my wife to put my son back inside... so far she is giving me a hard no. Would I be forced to take paternity leave in order to get some time at home? Paternity leave is only available after 6 month probation? Has anyone out there done this and if so, is it considered negatively?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

4Stroke
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Paternity Leave/ Reduced block

Post by 4Stroke »

HI stratosphere...I can’t answer all your questions, I haven’t been at Jazz for a few years

But, I had my first born son there. I took 6 weeks pat leave. I can’t recall when your leave benefits kick in, perhaps it is 6 months.

First, call your CP. explain your situation and see what the options are. They are all good guys, and all are fathers themselves. They are very helpful in these situations if you are upfront with them.

I hope you get a chance to be at home with your little one. It is absolutely priceless, and you will forever cherish the memories of being there.

Cheers,
4S

Edit: I just re-read that you haven’t Started yet, so don’t know the CP’s. Still, call the HR folks guiding your new-hire package and explain the same. Again, they hired you, they want you, they will work with you if you are upfront with them.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Hey mate,

RTB's are bid for on a month to month basis at set intervals and you can hold them for i believe 6 months at a shot. They do get bid on and are based on seniority. A reduced time block is essentially built as half the blocking average. Anything above it is overtime or you can pick things up from the trade board or open time, IF YOU WANT. You will have to contribute to the pension and your benefits at the normal rate though. No discounts! It is a good way for the FO's who need the flexibility an don't have the seniority to get exactly what they need schedule wise.

Yes you certainly can put all of your pairings up on the trade board on FLICA. Whether or not people take them is another thing. Its rare that crew sched will let us just drop things into open.

Management is very proactive and great to deal with when it comes to families and what not. When you do get on here, pop in and chat with your bases CP or call up one of the benefit reps and see. I'm not super familiar with all the terms as I don't have any kids.. yet.

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

I am not sure if you have to be employed a certain time frame before you can take PAT or RTB. That will be a question for HR. However Normal entitlement is either 12 months PAT, or 24 Months RTB, or you can take a mix of both.

From an EI claim perspective you would have to take PAT and not work to receive the payments. If your partner is off work claiming EI you can still take either PAT or RTB or a mix, you just wont get the government benefit. RTB for when you have a child is independent of the ones bid on every year. You are guaranteed them and no need to bid. A few things to note, once you start the RTB and then once you stop you cant break it up to different times, it all has to be continuous.

So in short you have 24 months to play with, a LOA (PAT) costs you 2 months, a RTB costs you one. So you could take 6 months PAT and then 12 months RTB for your total 24 months.

As for flica, yes you can drop pairings (but if you are new and on reserve, that wont really be something you can drop) So if you dont get PAT or RTB this will be your best bet. Also if you take RTB you can still pick up some open time- however with this I think maybe their have been some past complaints, such as pilots on RTB picking up enough flying that would be a full block, or working WDO getting time and a half on a 45 hour block. So maybe on that note just check with the union and company on exactly how that would work.

What you need to find out is if they will let you take PAT or RTB and then if you can, determine how you want to break it down.

stratosphere
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by stratosphere »

Wow... thanks for the detailed well written responses. I was half expecting someone just responding less days worked = less money. What your each saying makes sense and seems very reasonable.

(I will of course confirm the details with HR.)

Thanks!

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Congrats! I'm going to agree with what the lads said above. I remember being a new father and I also took time off to help my wife and be with our child.

This is the most important part of life. I haven't worked for a company yet that would not accommodate such thing; even the "crappy ones". Jazz is not even close to being in that category.

Good luck

Hans

Das ist mir wurst...

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”