Hiring on stand by

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hiring on stand by

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

got the words from a training captain that hiring was frozen for two months. and people that are in the pool will swim all summer. any infos on this?
---------- ADS -----------

Woodkid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Hiring on stand by

Post by Woodkid »

I did my medical exam 3 weeks ago and I didn't receive any response from Jazz. So yes maybe the hiring process is on Standby right now.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

I know a GS started today...

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

And there is another may 7th

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

CanadianPilotQc wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:52 am got the words from a training captain that hiring was frozen for two months. and people that are in the pool will swim all summer. any infos on this?
That training captain was incorrect.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Just had CRM and the CP for "west" was in our class and informed us that the hiring outlooks have dropped a bit down to a forecast of 200 for 2018. But no mention of "halting"

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

And you guys thought the new new PML didn't meant they threw the 80% flow out the window in favour of whatever the heck they felt like doing today. Welcome to climbing the grease pole.

Tap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tap »

What is going on with the PML, has it stopped or greatly slowed down?

Kapitanov
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Kapitanov »

Right now it looks like it has almost stopped at least for this summer...
No one has heard anything yet or had a reply from the AC Express Pilot Careers Portal posting that came out in March. And only a few have been hired from PML 2.0 in the last six months. Mostly people from PML 1.0 hired recently but only a few once again. However, it looks like Jazz is finally at a proper level of staffing and most hiring from the PML should happen this fall hopefully.

Tap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tap »

Do you think this will slow upgrade times down significantly and FOs be stuck to close to a 2K a month paycheck for a couple years?

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Ouch...if the party is indeed over for now, those FO wages would be hard to take if there is little movement in the near future...

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

AC generally (historically) does not run new hire PIT courses in the summer months. Everyone fretted about this last summer too..

Tap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tap »

I agree, but as far as I know ( very little ) Jazz ( and maybe ALPA) have close to zero interest in any form of a pay increase to FO’s or Jazz pilots as a whole?

Thoughts?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

As long as they have a supply of warm bodies to fill seats, they don't have any reason to increase pay.

Let’s Go Brandon
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Tap wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 pm I agree, but as far as I know ( very little ) Jazz ( and maybe ALPA) have close to zero interest in any form of a pay increase to FO’s or Jazz pilots as a whole?

Thoughts?
ALPA gets union dues as a percentage of pay so it’s in their best interest to get higher rates of pay

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

ALPA has no reason to prevent increases in pay, they represent ALL Jazz pilots not just the new ones who chose to accept the conditions, Jazz management has no reason to raise the pay considering pilots continue to accept the current conditions.
Bit of a conundrum, if you ask me, ALPA can’t get us more because pilots choose to accept but the pilots who choose to accept blame ALPA for not getting them more.
As for hiring on standby, normal ops during the summer, has been for years.
As for the Jazz surplus, a combination of factors but I believe the target demographic for the LOA is more senior pilots, that has and will always be the goal by Jazz management going forward. The projected surplus is until next summer, the LOAs are short term with pilots expected to return by spring 19. I suspect we will continue hiring depending on how many pilots take a leave, the PML is no doubt slowing somewhat but it’s not stopping.
What I’d like to know, are more qualified(degree) pilots choosing the other Express carriers, not sure why they would fill more seats than Jazz pilots at AC.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”