Classic Dash replacement??

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Classic Dash replacement??

Post by Hilroy »

Hey guys!

Which aircraft represent the future of the 37 passengers? I guess Jazz/AC will at one point start to phase out those DHC8-100, most of them are now over 30 years old.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Classic Dash replacement??

Post by Rowdy »

The 100 is already being phased out. A lot of it’s routes it’s being replaced by 300’s and their routes by the Q. There are quite a few that don’t seem to justify the Q And I wonder how jazz/chorus plans to supplement that

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Saabs.

Lol

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Unless someone wants to crank out new 100's would the small ATR's be about the same or are they closer to the 300?

(I guess the are is 54 seats so yeah a 300 not 100)

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Georgian can take over some of those runs. I hear they’re hiring.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

So Jazz would take over some Georgian routes in the near future ?

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

I hear they getting some flying boats and are going to open some float bases. (This would actually be awesome)

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

mixturerich wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:10 pm I hear they getting some flying boats and are going to open some float bases. (This would actually be awesome)
Last I heard EVAS is replacing the 1900’s with canso’s

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Aren't they just extending the life of the -300s?

I'm sure a big enough order, and Viking would make some Q300NGs

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:08 pm Aren't they just extending the life of the -300s?

They are attempting to extend the life of the -311's, as it seems the -301s are kaput once the gear is out of spec. GSTA went in for its extension and lo and behold, ended up being parted out and cut up. I think a few more may end up that way in the very near future.

Supposedly a few years ago BBD approached Jazz/Chorus and offered to spool up the production line if they made a reasonable order. Doubt that would ever happen.

It does leave a pretty big gap in some of our route structure.

GGN's 1900 base in YYZ is done. Supposedly Calgary is next on the chopping block. Rumour says CMA for red deer and med hat. Classic dash for lethbridge and cranbrook.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I would imagine ATR 42’s are the only aircraft around that can fill the void although their operating cost is within 10% of the 72’s so it may not make sense.

CFM56
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CFM56 »

Rowdy wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:02 pm
goingnowherefast wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:08 pm Aren't they just extending the life of the -300s?

They are attempting to extend the life of the -311's, as it seems the -301s are kaput once the gear is out of spec. GSTA went in for its extension and lo and behold, ended up being parted out and cut up. I think a few more may end up that way in the very near future.

Supposedly a few years ago BBD approached Jazz/Chorus and offered to spool up the production line if they made a reasonable order. Doubt that would ever happen.

GGN's 1900 base in YYZ is done. Supposedly Calgary is next on the chopping block. Rumour says CMA for red deer and med hat. Classic dash for lethbridge and cranbrook.
What’s interesting is that MTA, STA and VTA have been removed from service. MTA was very recently, so the fleet is now down to 25 -300s with an overstaffed roster!

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

There is a big hole in the 19 pax market (1900) and 37 pax market (-100)...

I guess we're a special country and those type of aircraft aren't in a big demand around the world!!

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

19 seat market: Cessna SkyCourier

https://cessna.txtav.com/en/turboprop/skycourier

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

J31 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:45 am 19 seat market: Cessna SkyCourier

https://cessna.txtav.com/en/turboprop/skycourier
Correct me if I'm wrong but that's not a pressurized aircraft. I'm not sure if they have "two versions".

Das ist mir wurst...
iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Rowdy wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Red deer stopped service Nov 1st 2018.

AC won't work with CMA because of some bad blood from the past. (previous legal action).

May 1st is the rumour I heard for the 1900 yyc base closing down. Jazz to take over the remaining routes.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

A few years ago, there was lots of talk about lifetime extensions, so I can see the reluctance to consider new aircraft. If planes aren't able to be economically extended, then new airframes is the next logical step. I really doubt we'll see a "Dash-9", although that is a neat idea.

Modernised more efficient engines, Q400 avionics, legitimate common type rating with the current Q400. I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:05 pm A few years ago, there was lots of talk about lifetime extensions, so I can see the reluctance to consider new aircraft. If planes aren't able to be economically extended, then new airframes is the next logical step. I really doubt we'll see a "Dash-9", although that is a neat idea.

Modernised more efficient engines, Q400 avionics, legitimate common type rating with the current Q400. I don't think it's that much of a stretch.
Now that Viking owns the dash-8 program they should revamp the 100/300 and make new frames like they did with the twotter

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

Heard some old Ilyushin maybe on par

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Alcoholism wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:17 pm Heard some old Ilyushin maybe on par
As much as this may be a bit tongue in cheek, most Russian aircraft would serve the Canadian market much better than the airplanes we currently use that were mainly designed for pavement to pavement originally.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”