Bid 2019

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Bid 2019

Post by Outlaw58 »

rudder wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:14 am Corrected number - 203 pilots from GGN signed up for Jazz and will be participating in Bid 2019-01.

If there are any GGN pilots reading this - have you been provided with guidance for equipment bidding from Jazz or ALPA? Bidding deadline is February 23rd.
Texted with a friend of mine who is coming over from GGN and he said he has received instruction and his bid is in.

I have not probed further so not sot sure what guidance they were given, nor what mode of bidding they were provided.

---------- ADS -----------

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

So basically how many signed for Jazz, how many for AC? How many both ?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Babar350 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:31 am So basically how many signed for Jazz, how many for AC? How many both ?
203 are coming to Jazz out of a possible 226.

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

KenoraPilot wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:29 pm
Babar350 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:31 am So basically how many signed for Jazz, how many for AC? How many both ?
That would be an uptake of 90%. If a small number are going directly to AC, that leaves GGN with very few pilots.

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

Splash wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:19 pm
That would be an uptake of 90%. If a small number are going directly to AC, that leaves GGN with very few pilots.
And pool pilots with an undefined waiting period. There’s no way of estimating when gs for us would be available, is there? I’d also like to understand numbers on how 200 ggn pilots coming in just before us pool guys will affect our career now if we chose to pursue ac from jazz. Did this just cost us a year more? I’m not against them coming in, but it does affect the progression we had estimated for ourselves when we knew we were in the pool to come to jazz.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Yieldermatik wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 pm
Splash wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:19 pm

And pool pilots with an undefined waiting period. There’s no way of estimating when gs for us would be available, is there? I’d also like to understand numbers on how 200 ggn pilots coming in just before us pool guys will affect our career now if we chose to pursue ac from jazz. Did this just cost us a year more? I’m not against them coming in, but it does affect the progression we had estimated for ourselves when we knew we were in the pool to come to jazz.
/ people trying to even get a call back or in to the pool.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Yieldermatik wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 pm And pool pilots with an undefined waiting period. There’s no way of estimating when gs for us would be available, is there? I’d also like to understand numbers on how 200 ggn pilots coming in just before us pool guys will affect our career now if we chose to pursue ac from jazz. Did this just cost us a year more? I’m not against them coming in, but it does affect the progression we had estimated for ourselves when we knew we were in the pool to come to jazz.
Well, it depends where you seat in the pool... However, nobody knows how they choose from the pool the candidates they are putting into GS... Quit contradicting huh?

So from we can gather here and there, there will be around 170 spots for OTS. Remove 16 OTS from January GS and 15 from February, it leaves us with 140 spots to fill in from March to December, which leads us to 14 OTS averaged until the end of the year...

Now the big question is: how do they choose who is going to be in the GS? Are we sorted by email date or by experience?

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

Yieldermatik wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 pm I’d also like to understand numbers on how 200 ggn pilots coming in just before us pool guys will affect our career now if we chose to pursue ac from jazz.
Those guys would have been available to AC from GGN... Instead of having 70% of flow, Jazz will now have 90%.

There is no downsizing in express flights, so the pool of express pilots stays the same. They are now packed into one company instead of two.

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
DH8Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH8Pilot »

It's hard to predict how this will all play out with the limited information we have now. We don't know how quickly the Q's will leave YYZ, nor how quickly the RJ's will be transferred back to Jazz. Furthermore, we don't know the rate at which we'll intake those 203 GGN pilots. If I were to hazard a guess at this point, I'd say OTS hiring will be somewhat limited until just before the summer, if not later.

Hilroy makes a good point. While the inclusion of the GGN pilots may have the immediate effect of lengthening the upgrade time and time to AC by 6-12 months for new hires, the guaranteed flow of 60% at a 90% hiring rate might mitigate that dramatically compared to what might've otherwise been the case. As stated before though, we won't know the extent of this until we see how it all plays out. Anything more now is simply an educated guess.

It's also worth noting that any GGN pilot coming already holds a seniority number above the most junior Jazz pilot on property. Therefore, any further OTS hiring would be placed at the bottom of the list behind all GGN pilots either way. What I mean by this is that for the very next OTS hire, it won't matter in terms of seniority whether they're hired tomorrow or in 6 months, as they'll still hold the same seniority.

In regards to your question of whether Jazz is still a good bet, I'd say it's now more so than ever. AC will still be hiring like crazy for the next two years, then pretty consistently after that. With 60% flow at a 90% hiring rate, movement will continue. Jazz is now centre in AC's long-term regional plans, so whether you want to stay here or leave for AC, both are extremely good options.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

DH8Pilot wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:35 am It's hard to predict how this will all play out with the limited information we have now. We don't know how quickly the Q's will leave YYZ, nor how quickly the RJ's will be transferred back to Jazz. Furthermore, we don't know the rate at which we'll intake those 203 GGN pilots. If I were to hazard a guess at this point, I'd say OTS hiring will be somewhat limited until just before the summer, if not later.

Hilroy makes a good point. While the inclusion of the GGN pilots may have the immediate effect of lengthening the upgrade time and time to AC by 6-12 months for new hires, the guaranteed flow of 60% at a 90% hiring rate might mitigate that dramatically compared to what might've otherwise been the case. As stated before though, we won't know the extent of this until we see how it all plays out. Anything more now is simply an educated guess.

It's also worth noting that any GGN pilot coming already holds a seniority number above the most junior Jazz pilot on property. Therefore, any further OTS hiring would be placed at the bottom of the list behind all GGN pilots either way. What I mean by this is that for the very next OTS hire, it won't matter in terms of seniority whether they're hired tomorrow or in 6 months, as they'll still hold the same seniority.

In regards to your question of whether Jazz is still a good bet, I'd say it's now more so than ever. AC will still be hiring like crazy for the next two years, then pretty consistently after that. With 60% flow at a 90% hiring rate, movement will continue. Jazz is now centre in AC's long-term regional plans, so whether you want to stay here or leave for AC, both are extremely good options.
I was told by a pretty reliable source that the Ggn CRJs will not start to come over until the summer. The Q400s won’t go back until the end of 2020. The Dash 8-100s are TBD as AC is looking to keeping them a bit longer than the end of 2019.

The training department is ramping up for lots of training. If I had to guess I would say OTS will continue until the Ggn Pilots really start coming over and then will pause a bit to intake those pilots until OTS starts up again.

I would guess that a good number of the Ggn Pilots won’t be able to hold their current position on the CRJ, at least captains in YYZ. This may prompt more of them to flow to AC.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Bid is out. Some pretty junior Captains in there. Looks like upgrades under 12 months now.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

47north wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:43 pm Bid is out. Some pretty junior Captains in there. Looks like upgrades under 12 months now.
On every bases or a specific one and specific equipment?

DH8Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH8Pilot »

Absolutely insane bid! The most junior captain was hired January 2019 (DH8 YUL).

For those waiting in the pool/for a call back, I count 150+ vacancies post-GGN integration. You'll all be flying with us soon!

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Wow!
I wasn't far from the numbers!
Guess we'll be in before September! :smt008

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Just saw the bid! Upgrade 4 months earlier than I expected....no complaints here!!!

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I think it’s safe to say with those vacancies that every new hire for the next year or so will be on the Q in YVR!

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Babar350 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:01 pm
47north wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:43 pm Bid is out. Some pretty junior Captains in there. Looks like upgrades under 12 months now.
On every bases or a specific one and specific equipment?
YUL Dash and Q400. YYZ Dash 8 and YVR Q400 went junior too.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Question for any Ggn pilots. There seems to be a fair number of pilots from Ggn on the combined seniority list when the bid was posted that don't appear on the published results.

Did some pilots pull their names and elect to stay at Ggn or flow directly to AC?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

150 vacancies on this bid, I expect they will be running 20pilots per GS until Dec 2019. There might even be the possibility of two GS a month come summer. This again will all be predicated on the hiring AC does over the summer. If AC takes a break over the summer like they tend to, I'd expect only 1 GS a month. OTS hiring will remain high for every GS IMO. YVR Q400 has 70+ vacancies on its FO roster. Jan 2019 Captains means anyone with ATPL basically could hold a Captain position at Jazz in YUL or YYZ.

I expect the 2019-02 (Aug bid) to be a course correction after they see what the AC hiring cycle is like. I also noticed that the bid did not include the 8 new CA positions that were supposed to be added to YYC DH8 in Oct/Nov. So shows that they are really taking a look now at who has an application in at AC and who does not (ie lifers at Jazz like myself). So hopefully with the next few bids things will finally be shaken out and we can see some stability. Thankfully on this bid there were not many people who were "forcibly" reduced and had to move bases (YVR DH8 reduction but it seems everyone was able to move to the Q and RJ and there were still left over spots for new Captains to join the lists)

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

i noted 116 YVR DH4 captains awarded. The minimum is 84 and I believe they're holding a baseline of 100. Sounds like they expect quite a bit of attrition.

Supposed another 330 to go to AC this year..

I also noticed that they seem to have quite a few folk who have set their retirement dates training as well. I'm guessing the next bid (if they run one) will also see a lot of new captains.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”