ATPL as a requirement

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

ATPL as a requirement

Post by Hilroy »

Hi,

Just wondering if they ask you to have your ATPL written prior to being invited for an interview or being granted a GS date?

Can they live with us having the IATRA for a few months?
---------- ADS -----------

Master of Cessna 172
It has been 0 days since I've almost died in an airplane.
Never trust a student with fuel and oil.
Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: ATPL as a requirement

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Hilroy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:12 am Hi,

Just wondering if they ask you to have your ATPL written prior to being invited for an interview or being granted a GS date?

10 years ago yes, now you’d be able to spend your entire career there on an IATRA if you didn’t want to go left seat or to AC.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:49 am

10 years ago yes, now you’d be able to spend your entire career there on an IATRA if you didn’t want to go left seat or to AC.
True. I've had only my iatra for over 2 years of working there

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:49 am 10 years ago yes, now you’d be able to spend your entire career there on an IATRA if you didn’t want to go left seat or to AC.
Still wonder if they do have a recent history of hiring without the A's done tho...

Master of Cessna 172
laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

Lol. I'd say at least 300-400 FOs don't have their ATPL. You good.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Depends of what kind of hours you have.
It seems that it works that way :
704 : Iatra
703/702/instructing multi :1500 hrs with iatra or A’s written
Aviation college: iatra

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Hilroy wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:34 pm
Yycjetdriver wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:49 am 10 years ago yes, now you’d be able to spend your entire career there on an IATRA if you didn’t want to go left seat or to AC.
Still wonder if they do have a recent history of hiring without the A's done tho...
Yes

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

I understand the need to win the race to the bottom and secure that seniority number as early as you can, but my advice to you is get your ATPL done, or at the very very least, get your ATPL PIC requirement before applying to a 705 operation.

Eventually, you will understand what I mean and offer the same advice to the following generation.

my 2 cents,

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

With the AC flow through, mostly captains, coupled with the fact jazz hires sub 1000 hour no ATPL pilots, it will eventually catch up to them. I can see the hiring of Direct Entry Captains becoming a thing very soon. Get that PIC time.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

I think they are already anticipating it. Since January most of new hires have either 1500 hrs or proper experience to be able to be awarded very soon with a left seat.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

RILEY wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:10 am With the AC flow through, mostly captains, coupled with the fact jazz hires sub 1000 hour no ATPL pilots, it will eventually catch up to them. I can see the hiring of Direct Entry Captains becoming a thing very soon. Get that PIC time.
I don’t think you’ll see direct entry Captains, there are some people being hired with experience. I think what you’ll see is Captain upgrades out of seniority

Hilroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hilroy »

Outlaw58 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:34 am get your ATPL PIC requirement before applying to a 705 operation.
I have all the required time, except total time.

Master of Cessna 172
laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

av8ts wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:52 pm
RILEY wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:10 am With the AC flow through, mostly captains, coupled with the fact jazz hires sub 1000 hour no ATPL pilots, it will eventually catch up to them. I can see the hiring of Direct Entry Captains becoming a thing very soon. Get that PIC time.
I don’t think you’ll see direct entry Captains, there are some people being hired with experience. I think what you’ll see is Captain upgrades out of seniority
It's not out of seniority if someone gets passed over because they have no ATPL. If you don't qualify, you don't qualify.

There were upgrades for the last 3 years that were "out of seniority" if you will.

I fully expect to see Jazz have DEC within the next two years unless something changes significantly in Canada economically and shit slows down.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Hilroy wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:16 pm
Outlaw58 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:34 am get your ATPL PIC requirement before applying to a 705 operation.
I have all the required time, except total time.
How much total time do you have right now? The website says they want 750

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I've changed my opinion on DEC.....unless there is a major economic disturbance or something changes at AC, I would foresee DEC hiring at Jazz in 2021......

Only so many PICUS Captains, not many pilots coming with ATPL, many collage grads. This will also depend on how many pilots who wanted to go to WJ and Encore will come to Jazz instead if the "one list" doesn't happen!? Again always a toss of the dice as to what will actually happen. But I could see DEC hiring 2021.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Lol guess my chances are on the rise. Don't plan on going anywhere till I get my atpl at my 703. Sounds like I'll be overqualified for the regionals :lol:

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”