Commuting at Jazz

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Earl E. Bird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Commuting at Jazz

Post by Earl E. Bird »

What would the roster be like for a YVR based Q400 Pilot. Any chance of managing a commute to YLW? Interested to here from any current Jazz pilots managing a commutable roster.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Commuting at Jazz

Post by KenoraPilot »

there are a few pilots commuting from YLW to YVR on the Q. It’s possible but it will all depend on your seniority and your monthly schedules etc. Almost any commute is possible, it just takes time and money to do it (crash pad, flights, public transit etc).

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

Like the above poster said, almost any commute is possible. Make sure you add up the true total cost such as flights $500/month, crash pad $200-500/month, Uber/taxi/bus to crash pad $100/month.

Mine comes to about $750/month. I did it partly because my base closed and I wanted to stay on my aircraft type plus have a better seniority at my commuting base.

Ideally it should be a temporary thing to do until you get the desired base. There are hundreds of permanent commuters who live where there are no bases. But they make their time on the road less painful by

1) bidding afternoons pairings so they commute in the morning to avoid paying for a hotel.
2) bidding pairings that pass through their domicile and pick up the pairing from there. Such as if you live in Ottawa and the first leg is a deadhead YUL-YOW. Just cancel the deadhead and go straight to the airport in Ottawa.
3) bid high credit pairings to fly less a month.

I like to make use of my down time reading a book, improve my French with audio lessons or watch Netflix etc.

Earl E. Bird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Earl E. Bird »

Thanks for the very helpful information. I’ll have to give it some serious thought.

Cheers

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”