Best guess when recalls could happen

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Best guess when recalls could happen

Post by hithere »

---------- ADS -----------

FL-200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL-200 »

21cdnflyer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:16 pm
dhc# wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm If people start travelling again with some predicting domestic flying will ramp up first, will this mean good news for Jazz, in that they will start flying more routes than AC domestically (at least to start) ?
Considering it's Air Canada pilots' flying, outsourcing to a third party, it would be interesting to see all Jazz guys recalled and operating when mainline still has guys on the streets. I'm sure that would not go over well..

The analysts I've been reading have been saying exactly that. Keep the regionals at max capacity and tag in a mainline machine on a route only when demand warrants It and redeploy the regional on different routes.

To any company, the employees are nothing more than tools of profitability. It’s hard to make money with a 777 right now, but it’s easy to make money with a RJ900/Q400. If mainline pilots wanted to fly RJ’s they shouldn’t have demanded such high wages. I’m sure AC management would prefer it if the whole operation was under one roof, but the unions made sure that wouldn’t happen decades ago.

Unions throw temper tantrums over higher wages, management farms the work out to a lower bidder. This has been the procedure in the Western world for years and years, not just in aviation. AC hasn’t been able to offshore flight crew jobs yet, we have that to be thankful for. They off-shored some heavy maintenance, to the detriment to everyone who was at Avios however.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

dhc# wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm If people start travelling again with some predicting domestic flying will ramp up first, will this mean good news for Jazz, in that they will start flying more routes than AC domestically (at least to start) ?
To me this actually makes sense. I think domestic travel will pick up before international / trans border. If what that AC exec said 2 weeks ago about travel ramping up come December is true that just furthers the point. Will people fly from say Kelowna to see family in Toronto for the holidays this year? I think the answer will be yes. As for how it helps Jazz over AC I think it all balances out. Jazz has a network of which 90% is domestic so its obviously good for them however AC has a hefty domestic route network too. It would be interesting for AC and Jazz if domestic travel explodes while international is on stand by. Thats a possibility. Just blowing smoke but something to ponder..

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

As it shows right now for the August loaded schedule, it's "back to normal", at least for Sky. If that holds true across the board, recalls should be happening shortly.

FL-200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL-200 »

yycinformer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 am As it shows right now for the August loaded schedule, it's "back to normal", at least for Sky. If that holds true across the board, recalls should be happening shortly.

AC hasn’t released the winter schedule yet, usually comes out early August, so what ever you saw, we can be pretty sure it’s inaccurate.

AC is expecting system wide of %25 seats available from last year, so, who knows.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I plan to go to BC this summer. I am hoping the risk will be quite low by then. Hospitals don't seem stretched so they are hopeful things can continue. It appears the isolating we are presently doing is working. And bonus, no need to upgrade seats because I am pretty sure we will be spread out once on board. Just keep the Purell handy (in the 100ml container of course).

flybyyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flybyyou »

yycinformer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 am As it shows right now for the August loaded schedule, it's "back to normal", at least for Sky. If that holds true across the board, recalls should be happening shortly.
any link to that august schedule ?

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

FL-200 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:31 am

AC hasn’t released the winter schedule yet, usually comes out early August, so what ever you saw, we can be pretty sure it’s inaccurate.

AC is expecting system wide of %25 seats available from last year, so, who knows.

Not referring to the winter schedule, just the summer sched people are getting all excited about. And it saw it directly on Air Canada's website. Give it run thru as if you were going to book a flight to the miriad of destinations that Sky does, and you'll see the 3x for DFW, for 5x for BOS etc. all as they have been doing pre-corona.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

My prediction is that domestic loads will pick up in the next few months followed by cases going up as provinces reopen which will result in demand going down once again. Until a vaccine comes out or the virus mutates to become less harmful I don't see recalls happening in the near future. I hope I'm wrong though.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

yycinformer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:29 pm

Not referring to the winter schedule, just the summer sched people are getting all excited about. And it saw it directly on Air Canada's website. Give it run thru as if you were going to book a flight to the miriad of destinations that Sky does, and you'll see the 3x for DFW, for 5x for BOS etc. all as they have been doing pre-corona.
thats just because AC havent touched the august sked yet. I wouldnt get too excited about it.

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

yycinformer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:29 pm

The current loaded schedule for August is part of the original summer schedule from late February. AC is doing a rolling monthly load, expect to see the August schedule in June.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Took the job. I have no doubt that recalls won't happen until next year. My logic... 50% work force is left on property and Sept will 20%-25% flying from last year. So MAYBE we will get past 50% flying and need more pilots by jan maybe not.

FL-200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL-200 »

Malfunction wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:01 pm Took the job. I have no doubt that recalls won't happen until next year. My logic... 50% work force is left on property and Sept will 20%-25% flying from last year. So MAYBE we will get past 50% flying and need more pilots by jan maybe not.
Sounds rational.

If you get a solid job offer, take it!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The July schedule now loaded/updated on aircanada.com

Some US flying added but most pre-COVID Canada-US direct routes on AC aircraft are not reinstated.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... html#/na-1

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Any updated opinions on when hiring will start back up.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

link821 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:19 pm Any updated opinions on when hiring will start back up.
Recalls commencing spring 2021 to accommodate increase to 70% capacity. New-hires spring 2022 if AC starts hiring again.

If Jazz and SKY merge, or if AC still has pilots on lay-off for all of 2022, no Express hiring before 2023.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

[/quote]

Recalls commencing spring 2021 to accommodate increase to 70% capacity. New-hires spring 2022 if AC starts hiring again.

If Jazz and SKY merge, or if AC still has pilots on lay-off for all of 2022, no Express hiring before 2023.
[/quote]

Brutal....this sounds more like a fact than an opinion?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

link821 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:55 pm Brutal....this sounds more like a fact than an opinion?
Pure speculation. But just look at what AC is doing with the schedule and listen to what is AC is saying publicly.

The rest is just a math exercise.

AA123455
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AA123455 »

rudder wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:28 pm
link821 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:55 pm Brutal....this sounds more like a fact than an opinion?
Pure speculation. But just look at what AC is doing with the schedule and listen to what is AC is saying publicly.

The rest is just a math exercise.
Exactly.

A company the size of Air Canada can’t do much without publicly disclosing it. You won’t find many insights or enlightenment on this forum that isn’t available on the AC website.

%25 seats available this fall, no clue on the type, base distribution or express/mainline ratio. Should know more by mid August.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:08 pm
link821 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:19 pm Any updated opinions on when hiring will start back up.

This is pure speculation. Everything being said in public is super conservative. In reality, they just don't know. Watch the schedule as it is updated month to month. Watch passenger numbers as they are published. Watch when and under what conditions boarders are reopening. Everything he is saying is being pulled from his ass, with the self delusional confidence pilots tend to exume.

But people do want to travel, and it will come back sooner than I think he is prediciting. Time will tell. The picture will be far clearer come September.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”