Equipment bid

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Equipment bid

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Is there one happening this summer?
---------- ADS -----------

Admiral Benson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Equipment bid

Post by Admiral Benson »

I would certainly hope so!

Hard to say to 675 pilots that it’s too expensive to keep them on CEWS and then keep paying captains their regular wage to sit in the right seat.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

I doubt we will see one until September, when there might be some longer term certainty of our flying. It costs a lot to run a bid, and if you run a bid just to have to undo it the moment everyone is trained to go the other direction, you don't save much, if anything.

Second, if my interpretation of 10 - 4 .04 of our agreement is correct, it means a fair number of our pilots who may get downgraded, their pay will not be impacted by being put into the right seat, again, minimizing any cost benefit of a bid.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Admiral Benson wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:05 pm I would certainly hope so!

Hard to say to 675 pilots that it’s too expensive to keep them on CEWS and then keep paying captains their regular wage to sit in the right seat.
I wouldn't expect to see an equipment bid until Sept 2020. ALPA is working hard to keep everyone on CEWS, will have to wait and see I guess.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Admiral Benson wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:05 pm I would certainly hope so!

So, your logic is, if I am suffering so should the ones who are left behind! Downgrading to balance the roster won’t save jobs, we are already at a surplus even with half the active pilots on CEWS, the pilots remaining are paying your benefits while you receive CEWS, maybe a down bid should coincide with cancellation of the CEWS.
As said above, the union is working on a LOU to keep CEWS going, which will have some concessions by those who remain on payroll.
But thanks for your support!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

So got the answer today. No equipment bid till September. CEWS till August. No benefits starting July 1st. Only extended ones.... whatever that means?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:46 pm So got the answer today. No equipment bid till September. CEWS till August. No benefits starting July 1st. Only extended ones.... whatever that means?
EHC = medical and medical equipment/practitioners/ prescription drugs

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Awsome! Thanks for the info. Positive news from the ALPA email today............back to regular bidding and hints that recalls might start soon!!!

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

What indication is there that recalls may begin soon? ( I certainly hope you are correct)

My understanding is that more layoffs could be occurring after Aug 30.. and at this point there would have been more layoffs had alpa not tried to mitigate them.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

McKinley wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:52 pm What indication is there that recalls may begin soon? ( I certainly hope you are correct)

My understanding is that more layoffs could be occurring after Aug 30.. and at this point there would have been more layoffs had alpa not tried to mitigate them.
No more layoffs until Sept 1, 2020

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:37 am
McKinley wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:52 pm What indication is there that recalls may begin soon? ( I certainly hope you are correct)

No more layoffs until Sept 1, 2020
Oops! My bad. You’re correct...

What Indications are there of recalls in the future?

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

I don't think there are any indications of any pilot recalls in the short term. When you consider the vast majority of those 50% remaining are not being utilized that is an indication that if things don't change there will be more to come.

The JAZ MEC priority has been to keep the CEWS program in place and minimize any further loss of employment for those who remain along with status pay and base protections. However this cannot continue long term. The only indication of anything positive is when you see in an uptake in flying by the travelling public. At this time, there are still too many barriers to free travel within our own country. This needs to be addressed. Increase in transborder flying and expansion of international will follow however we need to have a standard protocol that is followed by all participants.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Jazz is still sitting well below 25% of planned block hours for July. August likely will not exceed 25% either. Unlikely any Pilots will transition from inactive to active before Sept 01 with a greater likelihood that many will transition from inactive/CEWS to lay-off if the CEWS program is terminated by the Feds.

Once AC makes its decision about required Express fleet for 2021, then Jazz and SKY will have to respond accordingly. Right now it seems that AC only has clarity on the mainline fleet required for 2021 and is in the process of implementing that training plan.

Eventually it will be Express turn. If AC is getting smaller, then Express will be smaller although not necessarily proportionally.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

You guys are so negative. 25% is a significant increase from less than 10%. August will likely be a bit more, with a bit more in September. A steady uptrend is solid. I doubt we will see any further layoffs, and my guess is the first bunch of guys and gals will see some recalls before Christmas. The industry is putting a fair amount of pressure on the government, and I think you will start to see the needle move in a positive direction.

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

Thanks guys, that’s kinda what I figured.

We can have 25% of total flying but I think the million dollar question is “what is the demand for flying.”

Yes, Jazz et.al. Might be flying a 25% roster but if RSM Isn’t there to support the flying I think more layoffs could be on the table. I think CR could be testing the waters..

I’m hoping I’m completely wrong !

FL101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL101 »

You guys are all far, far to positive. No call backs until January 2022 at the earliest. If we’re lucky.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Disagree!!! Strongly disagree! I will wager 1/3rd of those on the inactive list will be back by the end of this year!!!

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

truedude wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:54 pm Disagree!!! Strongly disagree! I will wager 1/3rd of those on the inactive list will be back by the end of this year!!!

Are you part of that list?

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

I am not. Just watching domestic numbers elsewhere in the world, along with actual COVID numbers from official sources instead of the news, to better grasp how many of the increased numbers are due to increased testing, age distribution, and hospital beds.

FL101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL101 »

I certainly hope you’re correct, however I’m not so confident.

Half of all Canadians had less than $400 extra in the bank before this crisis, and if the feds axe the CEWB the banks will cool or outright freeze credit for millions of Canadians.

Canadians were some of the worlds most indebted people before this crisis. Our domestic travel won’t rebound like Chinas, or Europe’s domestic travel. We’re in for a long haul I fear because of economic reasons, not virus reasons.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”