Degree

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

avsteve1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Degree

Post by avsteve1 »

Hello, although we’re probably a while away from recalls and hiring, I was just wondering how much Jazz cares about degrees? I’m about to graduate from one of the Jazz App colleges here in Ontario, about 300 total time, but no degree. Just a diploma from the college. I know I probably won’t find a pilot job anytime soon, I do have a ground handling job at a international airport that I’m holding onto. Since I know it probably will be competitive, when the time comes, will Jazz start caring about degrees or will it mainly be experience they’re looking for? My plan is to work this current job until I can find any kind of flying job and work my way up from there, yes I am willing to move wherever. Don’t mind the cold. I know this is a Jazz forum, but what about other airlines that some of you folks may have knowledge/experience in? Encore, etc.
---------- ADS -----------

FL101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Degree

Post by FL101 »

avsteve1 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 am Hello, although we’re probably a while away from recalls and hiring, I was just wondering how much Jazz cares about degrees? I’m about to graduate from one of the Jazz App colleges here in Ontario, about 300 total time, but no degree. Just a diploma from the college. I know I probably won’t find a pilot job anytime soon, I do have a ground handling job at a international airport that I’m holding onto. Since I know it probably will be competitive, when the time comes, will Jazz start caring about degrees or will it mainly be experience they’re looking for? My plan is to work this current job until I can find any kind of flying job and work my way up from there, yes I am willing to move wherever. Don’t mind the cold. I know this is a Jazz forum, but what about other airlines that some of you folks may have knowledge/experience in? Encore, etc.

You have the perfect amount of education for a pilot. Some of the worst pilots I’ve flown with in my career had 4 year degrees. A 4 yr degree, especially one in grievance studies, makes you a worse human being and employee, not better. University isn’t what is used to be. Work hard, pay attention, have some people skills and always keeping learning about life and reading you SOPs and COM and you’ll be a great pilot, and I’m sure Jazz would love to hire you some day.

In the mean time, we’re back to the bad old days of working the ramp before flying. Go north and find some kind of employment with a company that has small aircraft that’s willing to put you in a seat when things pick up. Manitoba has always been a place where new pilots go. The regional airlines will start hiring around 2025ish if I had to guess. Good luck!

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Good to have something else outside of aviation degree wise to fall back on but I don’t think it will be necessary for employment as a pilot. Having more flying experience than the competition will be more beneficial.

Let’s Go Brandon
thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thrust set »

avsteve1

Aviation is and always will be about supply and demand. Bottom line, we are heading into an unprecedented amount of pain in this industry and where you end up when wheels start turning again all depends on your experience, education and attitude.

When AC started their hiring in 2005 they started with the remaining pilots from Jazz via LOU18 (a move up provision) and the pool that interviewed as off the street candidates. It was no secret that majority of the off the street pilots they took, had a university degree.
If this was spring 2019, I would say get flying as fast as you can but since you are probably young look into how much it would take to complete a degree. Can you transfer any credits over from college or better yet find a job on the ramp and look at completing a degree online .

I believe AC was really the only airline that favored University in their selection process and yes a shitload of pilots did make it through the doors without one, but you are in control of how you stick out to your potential employers and how fast your phone rings.
FL101 I just got off the phone with a pilot that does some of the interviews at AC..... he mentioned that rarely do we have pilots that we have to stop their training who completed a degree. There is a correlation with education and the success rate of making it through the initial courses.

FL101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL101 »

thrust set wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:36 pm avsteve1

Aviation is and always will be about supply and demand. Bottom line, we are heading into an unprecedented amount of pain in this industry and where you end up when wheels start turning again all depends on your experience, education and attitude.

When AC started their hiring in 2005 they started with the remaining pilots from Jazz via LOU18 (a move up provision) and the pool that interviewed as off the street candidates. It was no secret that majority of the off the street pilots they took, had a university degree.
If this was spring 2019, I would say get flying as fast as you can but since you are probably young look into how much it would take to complete a degree. Can you transfer any credits over from college or better yet find a job on the ramp and look at completing a degree online .

I believe AC was really the only airline that favored University in their selection process and yes a shitload of pilots did make it through the doors without one, but you are in control of how you stick out to your potential employers and how fast your phone rings.
FL101 I just got off the phone with a pilot that does some of the interviews at AC..... he mentioned that rarely do we have pilots that we have to stop their training who completed a degree. There is a correlation with education and the success rate of making it through the initial courses.
I have no doubt pilots who have a degree pass sim at a greater rate than pilots without a degree. I was talking about being a good pilot, not passing sim.

I firmly believe the correlation between having a degree and passing sim has more to do with study habits and reading and comprehension skills, not a piece of paper.

As the quality of “higher” education steadily goes down, I expect to see the differential between pilots with or without degrees passing sim decrease.

As far as a hiring board is concerned, a degree is another filter, I’m not surprised they look for it. I’d personally take a 2 year aviation diploma graduate who reads a novel or two a month, over a pilot with a grievance studies degree any day. Unfortunately that’s not easy for a hiring board navigate. Ce la vie.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

FL101 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:24 pm I firmly believe the correlation between having a degree and passing sim has more to do with study habits and reading and comprehension skills, not a piece of paper.
Well yes. Isn't that the whole point of requiring/preferring a degree?

I doubt any airline hiring board wants pilots to be well versed in art history or concrete bridge design. It's proof of a certain attitude towards studying that is important. The field of degree is mostly irrelevant for hiring boards.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

thrust set wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:36 pm
The only people from my PIT that didn't get through training were Jazz PML guys. Would they have a pass in the post-secondary education preference? I'm not sure how the PML works.

FL101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FL101 »

FL030 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:24 pm
thrust set wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:36 pm
The only people from my PIT that didn't get through training were Jazz PML guys. Would they have a pass in the post-secondary education preference? I'm not sure how the PML works.

I’m not sure how that works either. I’m also not surprised some Jazz PML guys didn’t make it through. Going from 15 years on a dash 8 and never opening a book or bothering to keep up with SOP changes to learning an airbus would be a bit of a transition lol. It’s all about study habits, work ethic and reading skills.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”