What is ALPA Jazz's views on the new CASTA rules?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

What is ALPA Jazz's views on the new CASTA rules?

Post by simply_no_one »

ACPA doesn't give a shit. So I'm hoping ALPA will be able to fight against these nonsense new rules/mandatory screening and bag opening of every flight crew member (while CASTA people walk through unchecked of course).

Has there been any communication from JAZZ ALPA about this? Are they fighting it? It's our only hope, I have no faith in ACPA.
---------- ADS -----------

redbusdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: What is ALPA Jazz's views on the new CASTA rules?

Post by redbusdriver »

go back to jazz if that's how you feel

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

redbusdriver wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:41 pm go back to jazz if that's how you feel
People like you are the problem at AC and ACPA. :roll:

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

It is beyond silly how degarded our profession has vs become.

Catsa walks right through, while the guys who sit in front of the flight deck doors, get their lunch bag examined :rolleyes:

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

What has lead to the change? Has there been a rise in crew bringing contraband through security? Maybe this is necessary... I don’t want to have to fly next to someone who doesn’t want their bag inspected... that’s like as crazy as those anti mask peeps! Risk should be zero! Search every bag. Anyone who thinks differently is someone I would be uncomfortable operating an aircraft with. Why would a pilot who should be so logical disagree with this, just follow your SOPs. Maybe the mods should just delete every comment here that disagree with me also, other opinions could be dangerous. We can’t question the experts on everything, clearly they used science beyond my capabilities and we need to trust the experts on this one. Your freedom ends where my begin, this means bend over and get inspected! Freedumbs! What are you a trump supporter?

Signed

The liberals of Avcanada.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

montado wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:14 am What has lead to the change?
It is a TC response to change in ICAO standard.

Current TC implementation is just a limited trial at 2 locations.

I have no problem with 100% NPS (it happens for flight crew at many foreign airports) so long as there are dedicated facilities to accommodate volume.

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

rudder wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:26 am
montado wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:14 am What has lead to the change?

Current TC implementation is just a limited trial at 2 locations.

I have no problem with 100% NPS (it happens for flight crew at many foreign airports) so long as there are dedicated facilities to accommodate volume.
100% NPS isn't a huge deal so long as there is enough belts to deal with it, and it doesn't involve full pat downs and bag searches for everyone.

Make it as simple as a red light was before. Bag on the belt, swap hands... off you go. There is no reason why crew should be checked over with more scrutiny than Nexus passengers.

For this to work properly though they would need to expand all NPS areas to minimum two belts or more. And staff it appropriately.

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

Guys the only reason this is happening now is because its slowwwwwwwwwwwwww right now. It gives the employees time to do this. Once things pick up they will definitely go back to the old system. This is all for Optics. Imagine regular passengers watching crewmembers push a button and just walk through. They need to make it looks like they are doing something. Who cares move on

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

Mrbobmarly111 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:09 pm Guys the only reason this is happening now is because its slowwwwwwwwwwwwww right now. It gives the employees time to do this. Once things pick up they will definitely go back to the old system. This is all for Optics. Imagine regular passengers watching crewmembers push a button and just walk through. They need to make it looks like they are doing something. Who cares move on
That's the thing, passengers don't see it. It's hidden away through a maze of corridors.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

I believe it was approximately three years ago we were told in a WestJet recurrent ground school by someone that we were headed for 100% screening for aircrew in the NPS. I do not believe this is temporary. This thread is also the first time I have heard of the implementation of the policy.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Mrbobmarly111 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:09 pm Guys the only reason this is happening now is because its slowwwwwwwwwwwwww right now. It gives the employees time to do this. Once things pick up they will definitely go back to the old system. This is all for Optics. Imagine regular passengers watching crewmembers push a button and just walk through. They need to make it looks like they are doing something. Who cares move on
Highly doubtful, when have you ever knows CATSA to use common sense

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

It’s permanent to meet ICAO standards.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

simply_no_one wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:42 pm
redbusdriver wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:41 pm go back to jazz if that's how you feel
People like you are the problem at AC and ACPA. :roll:
ACPA won't stand up for anything. Sadly LEC elections and 3/4 spots were taken up by the old guard. P4C is starting to have an impact. I wish them well. I know a few of the faces and they are top notch.

Down in the USA ALPA helped get their policy started for Pilots and FAs. Hopefully we get something

straight2thepoint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by straight2thepoint »

rudder wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:26 am
Can you cite this source, please?

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

I emailed Transport Canada a few weeks ago. This is an excerpt from their reply.
The aviation security program is in place to mitigate the risk of unlawful interference with civil aviation. The program is also aligned with the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standard. Having said that, the intrusiveness of our measures is something we take very seriously. This issue will be discussed internally as we look to improve our program.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”