On a quest for .......

Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: On a quest for .......

Post by AEROBAT »

I would say the Christavia or Wag Aero Cub if you want floats. Use the metal spar and not the wood spar though.
---------- ADS -----------

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

Have you thought about just buying a Stinson. It performs well on floats,wheels and skiis and is probably cheaper than what you will spent on building a Cub clone or Christavia type aircraft. You can also put it in the O/M category and have all the benefits of having an amateur built aircraft.

Something to think about.

Jim

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

If you want to "re-build" a certified aircraft into a home built,, this can be done,, you just need to convince an MDRA inspector that you built more than 51% as per the CARS..

If you own an owner maint plane,, you the owner certify all maintenance done, hence the term owner maintenance

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
ozone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ozone »

I am also in the market. I am strongly moving towards a kitfox supersport. Done a lot of comparing in performance and price and not a lot of others seem to match this one. Kitfox has also been around for a long time, so they seem to be a safe proven kitplane.

Wondering if anyone out there is building one at the moment or knows something about these.

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/kitfox_kits.htm

Injun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Injun »

AEROBAT wrote:I would say the Christavia or Wag Aero Cub if you want floats. Use the metal spar and not the wood spar though.
Why not the wood spar? Bellanca never used a metal spar on a single aircraft until purchased by ACA in 1995 and made a fleet of amazing aircraft.(every Citabria model). Hundreds of cubs (perhaps thousands) produced with wood spars without "incident". Countless others.

The ONLY problem with wood spars is the guy maintaining them or inspecting them. If I were left out in the rain for 50 years I would be grey and flaky too. Otherwise a fine fit as anyone who has ever decided to do their research would know.

My 2 cents.

Return to “Homebuilders”