Hatz Biplane

Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Hatz Biplane

Post by iflyforpie »

I've been thinking about building a homebuilt pretty much since my AME apprenticeship started and I have drooled over all kinds from Kitfoxes to RVs to Long-Ezs to you-name-it. I was in heavy aircraft overhaul before my current job and brought about half a dozen different certified general aviation aircraft back to life from wrecks and neglect over the years.

I think I've pretty much settled on a Hatz CB-1 for the following reasons:

-I want a taildragger (of course). :D
-I'd like to experience the joys, romance, and pitfalls of an open cockpit biplane.
-I want the experience of doing wood, fabric, trammeling wings, and fully rigging a biplane.
-I have several other somewhat modern aircraft at my disposal if I want to haul passengers/luggage, fly in the rain/cold, or go distant places (which with mountains and weather isn't a whole lot of times anyways) but I do want another hole available to share the experience. This plane might make it to Oshkosh or Sun n Fun once in its lifetime.
-I have no interest in vertical torque rolls or hockey puck sink rates (sorry Hedley).
-I'd like a plane that I can start off small cost and space wise and gradually build up, rather than buying a whole or even part of a kit.

I plan on making this plane as basic as can be. A small Continental four banger up front (ideally an O-200, but will take a C90 or C85. An A65 would probably be too anemic here at 3000ASL). I am not interested in larger engines because I want to keep the hourly costs down. No electrics (Armstrong starter, handheld comm wired through battery powered intercomm), uber basic panel (day VFR minimum, maybe a turn and bank indicator with a venturi), and exposed cylinders with a J-3 front end to give it a nostalgic look.

SInce I already fly a lot during all the good flying weather, my plan for this aircraft will be just to do some circuits and bumps or fly around the valley in the early mornings or late evenings. In winter it will be stored and the engine pickled.

Anything anybody can tell me about these aircraft would be great. I've gleaned pretty much all that Google can offer, which isn't a lot compared to more popular homebuilts. I am not too interested in the overgrown Hatz Classic.

How about rigging a biplane? Is it a real chore to knock one of these down and rig them again seasonally if I want to skimp on a hangar? (Not so much cost as availability).

The fuselage is welded 4130. How much of a process is it to get the skill to weld up something like this? (I did a tiny bit of TIG in school) Or should I get somebody else to weld up a fuselage?

What kind of build time would I be looking at to complete one of these? (Not in a rush, just would like a ball-park).

Cheers,

IFFP
---------- ADS -----------

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Hatz Biplane

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The flybaby can be built as a biplane. I knew one person who bought a monoplane flybaby, complete but a little ragged for basically the cost of the engine. He cleaned up the fuse and tail and built a new set of biplane wings. He said it wasn't very fast but pleasant to fly and looked nice, and he was flying in about a third of the time it would have taken if he started from scratch.

Buschpielot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Hatz Biplane

Post by Buschpielot »

Head down to the annual Pietenpol gathering in Brodhead, WI in July. I met a lot of Hatz owners and builders there. The Matronics lists may have something as well.

Return to “Homebuilders”