Which kit to build

Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

BJK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Which kit to build

Post by BJK »

I am new to the forum and would like some input from home builders who may have experience with the planes I am looking at.
Murphy Rebel is a good plane, I have spoke with some plane owners who love their plane and this would meet my needs well. The one issue I have is the build time which is about 2000 hrs. I have seen where some builders take 10 years and alot of Rebels end up sold as unfinished kits. I am concerned this would be too big an undertaking for a first build. Second option is a Just Aircraft Highlander which would also work even better because of the folding wings. This plane is fabric covered vs the rebel with aluminum skin and it has a 700 hr build time. The down side to build it in Alberta the only way to get the air worthiness certificate is to have the Canadian dealer come here to do the certification and he is from the Toronto area, and is the only person in Canada to be able to certify the plane. The 3rd option is the Blue Yonder Aviation Merlin EZ just south of Calgary Alberta. The location would be the best option and the Merlin has a build time of approx 450 hrs. For the first build this may be the best. There is very little info on the merlin other than 3 flight reports I found online from 1995. I have flown but don't have a recreational license and would like to build the plane then use my own plane to train and get my license.
Does anyone from Alberta know anything about the Merlin EZ, I would like to speak with an owner of one if at all possible.

Thanks
Blaine
---------- ADS -----------

Pavese
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Which kit to build

Post by Pavese »

BJK wrote:I am new to the forum and would like some input from home builders who may have experience with the planes I am looking at.
Murphy Rebel is a good plane, I have spoke with some plane owners who love their plane and this would meet my needs well. The one issue I have is the build time which is about 2000 hrs. I have seen where some builders take 10 years and alot of Rebels end up sold as unfinished kits. I am concerned this would be too big an undertaking for a first build. Second option is a Just Aircraft Highlander which would also work even better because of the folding wings. This plane is fabric covered vs the rebel with aluminum skin and it has a 700 hr build time. The down side to build it in Alberta the only way to get the air worthiness certificate is to have the Canadian dealer come here to do the certification and he is from the Toronto area, and is the only person in Canada to be able to certify the plane. The 3rd option is the Blue Yonder Aviation Merlin EZ just south of Calgary Alberta. The location would be the best option and the Merlin has a build time of approx 450 hrs. For the first build this may be the best. There is very little info on the merlin other than 3 flight reports I found online from 1995. I have flown but don't have a recreational license and would like to build the plane then use my own plane to train and get my license.
Does anyone from Alberta know anything about the Merlin EZ, I would like to speak with an owner of one if at all possible.

Thanks
Blaine

I'll offer one piece of advice. Before giving anyone any $, dig deeply to make sure they are a thriving company making profits so they will be around for a long time (the time for you to build and fly your plane). You want technical support when you call for help. Try the tech support line and see if you get an enthusiastic voice eager to fill you in on the finer details of any technical question or an answering machine. The answering machine is an ominous warning as is lack of information about a design. Call and ask to speak to the company owner, not just the salesman. One of the companies you mention has an enthusiastic salesman who will reserve you a spot in the next batch of kits but they're not the one who is providing your technical support. One of the companies you mentioned has a recent not so good record of filling orders for parts and accessories on time.

About your picks, why do you need to have someone come and "certify" your home built Highlander? You will be the builder and the MDRA inspector is who you have to have inspect and sign off your work, not someone from the factory.

Go out and see if you can find an internet group or mailing list dedicated to the type. Vans has discussion forums as do Zenair, check out your choices and see how the builders feel about their choices and the support they're getting.

BTW, on the Canadian side of the border you can find Bush Caddy and Dream aircraft Tundra, a couple more high wing metal bush planes.

After all that, get building and HAVE FUN!

D 8)

mmartin1872
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmartin1872 »

The one that intrigues me is the Bearhawk... 2500 Gross, same wing style as a Stinson..a little bit pricey as a kit, but you can buy just the plans. But I'm a tube and fabric type of guy (tube and fabric fuselage, with metal covered wings).

BJK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BJK »

Thanks for the advise, I have checked out the bushcaddy, emailed the owner of the company and got my questions answered without a big sales pitch, I was very impressed. Spoke to a builder who took his first flight in Feb, 2011 and he is very impressed with the aircraft although it is still new and exciting, 100 mph criuse on full lotus floats which work excellent on snow. He checked out the Murphy Rebel and felt the Bushcaddy was a stronger designed plane. He did say the kit is a bit of a bugger to build as are most aluminum kits. Bushcaddy told me they are in the process of upgrading the kit to reduce build time and make it better overall. I am taking a flight in a bushcaddy taildragger on March 26th. I spoke to another builder who flew a Merlin for 10 years and he said the bushcaddy is a far supperior plane and has it on full lotus floats with the 80 hp rotax and still has decent performance. I have found from speaking with builders who have looked at the Murphy Rebel And other kits went with the Bush Caddy because they felt it was a stronger plane and a very good experience dealing with the company before they made the commitment to buy. I am looking forward to my day, I think the research is complete. :)

Return to “Homebuilders”