Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

A Chinese company bought Glasair.

Post by Beefitarian »

http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/120721_glasair.html

Some of the EAA members sound a bit disgruntled about it in the comments.
---------- ADS -----------

slam525i
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: A Chinese company bought Glasair.

Post by slam525i »

I would understand if it the comments reflected genuine issues, like the potential loss of jobs or quality issues, or something, but the majority of them seem to just be thinking "'MERICA!!!! 'MERICA!!! 'MERICA!!!" and that's about it...

The funny thing is, as far as I can tell, all of these purchases are just paper pushing. The jobs aren't moving to China, and if anything, they're throwing investments into a sector that most people avoid, and for good reason.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

It's getting strange. The quality of some products there has come up extraordinarily.

I'll be honest. I'm mildly concerned about the transition of China and North America switching roles economically. Nothing I can do though so I'll try to enjoy the ride.

slam525i
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re:

Post by slam525i »

Beefitarian wrote:It's getting strange. The quality of some products there has come up extraordinarily.

I'll be honest. I'm mildly concerned about the transition of China and North America switching roles economically. Nothing I can do though so I'll try to enjoy the ride.
I'd bet a majority of the "'MERICA!" people have iPhones and love them... because they're "Designed in California!" by an American company... but made in China by Foxconn. Apple has shown that high quality can come from Chinese mass manufacturing. If anything, it makes sense to be excited about another country dumping capital into yours, but I'll bet these chest-thumpers don't have a basic understanding of economics.

I think the next few decades will be interesting. High-end / low-volume manufacturing is coming back to North America, cheap manufacturing is still in China, but in most of the Chinese manufacturing cities the cost of labour is going up. The manufacturing will move more towards Western China, shipping costs will increase, labour costs will increase. China will become more focused on design and development based (do you have any idea how many scientists and engineers they train each year?), and manufacturing will have to move somewhere else.

That leaves North America and Western Europe... Our cost of living / standard of living is far too high too be sustained by a labour based economy, which leaves us with... ???

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

This is getting too deep, if the manufacturing stays where it is, that brings money into the economy. If everything is made in another place and everyone in 'merica is management, who and what are they managing?

Funny thing is in the past you couldn't get quality products made in China. I bought a fender strat a couple of years ago at christmas for $150, and it plays like an American one only the pickups/electronics are not as good. You couldn't afford to pay any north american that didn't live with their parents to make crappy guitars like they used to make in China if you sell them that cheap. I bought an American made bass in 1986 and it cost $1600.

The guy that said something about "crappy Chinese metal cracking" seems out of touch. Someone has figured out how to make good metal or send it there.

RenegadeAV8R
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RenegadeAV8R »

Beefitarian wrote:http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/120721_glasair.html

Some of the EAA members sound a bit disgruntled about it in the comments.
And last year, Cirrus (which started as a kit aircraft company) was sold to China Aviation Industry General Aircraft (CAIGA), a subsidiary of Aviation Industry Corporation, which is wholly owned by the Government of the People's Republic of China.

There is a trend there.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

True and the talk by Diamond about moving production there.

kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kevinsky18 »

The pattern if you haven't seen it yet is composites. Composites are the future of aviation and China isn't about buying paper companies for immediate financial gain they are buying intellectual property to leap frog their country into top positions in research and development.

This is very calculated and a truly impressive display of forethought and future planning.

China will soon be the number one super power and the US will slip into history along with Rome. Only instead of having coliseums and other impressive remnants of a once great empire the US will have NASCAR race tracks and greasy spoon dinners.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

You forgot these allready? http://www.deadmalls.com/

Also, this article adds "Hawker Beechcraft" to the list of companies purchased.
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news ... l?page=all

Anyway.. Currently there are no plans to relocate or terminate any Glasair employees.
http://glasair.wordpress.com/2012/07/21 ... up-co-ltd/

Then again the guy in charge is "Mr Fang."

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

The 70's had Japanese stuff being mostly crap too...now look at it. Don't kid yourselves, all the Chinese need is improved quality control and watch out!!! I've seen tractor stuff from China that was made with crap materials, but the build and workmanship were first rate and some stuff I've seen from John Deere "MERICA" was solid stuff but the workmanship was pure crap!!! Weld spatter, poor paint etc... When (not IF) China gets it's ducks in a row for quality materials, watch out. They have some imitations cars right now that mimic Porches and Mercedes and they are really impressive looking!! Not that I'd buy one yet, but in 20 years, most likely they will be the best bang for the buck!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

The British sports car brand MG was bought by Nanjing automobile in 2005. That company started making MGs in China then they were bought by another chinese company and reopened a factory in the UK.

The plan for Glasair is to change over some models to certified aircraft so they can be commercially registered and manufacture them as complete units for flight training. It might even bring in some revenue if they keep the factory running and sell some planes to companies and schools in China.

Return to “Homebuilders”