LED Anti-Collision Lights for Homebuilts - Ottawa Company

Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

LED Anti-Collision Lights for Homebuilts - Ottawa Company

Post by Spandau »

Last year a company in Ottawa was selling LED anti-collision lights for homebuilt airplanes and they were selling the bulbs via Ebay. But they seem to have dropped off the map. Does anybody know what became of them?

Dan
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: LED Anti-Collision Lights for Homebuilts - Ottawa Compan

Post by AirFrame »

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

That's it! Thanks very much!

Dan

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

LEDs are not visible to many NVGs. Since NVGs are increasingly present in aviation, maybe something to consider...

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

AuxBatOn wrote:Since NVGs are increasingly present in aviation, maybe something to consider...
Really? We're talking about anti-collision lights for an Amateur-Built aircraft here... How often will that coincide in the same airspace with someone with NVG's?

Note that there are a number of LED bulb options that work great. Aircraft bulbs are "keyed" with one of the pins on the barrel offset from the other... But you can take a standard automotive bulb with the two pins opposite each other, file one pin off and then it will fit and work just fine. That's what I did.

Depending on your lighting arrangement, you can look into whether it makes more sense to have white LED's behind the standard coloured bezels (like on the common Whelen wingtip lights), or whether you use coloured LED's behind a clear bezel. I have the standard Whelen lights, but they're installed recessed behind a clear fairing so I tried both before settling on coloured LED's.

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

The airplane is day VFR only, but interesting point about the NVG's. I exchanged my colored nav light lenses for clear ones as well as fitting a tail light in the rudder (you can't have enough strobes going into a typical fly-in breakfast!) but now that my buddy's seen it he wants a set for his as well.

Dan

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

AirFrame wrote:
AuxBatOn wrote:Since NVGs are increasingly present in aviation, maybe something to consider...
Really? We're talking about anti-collision lights for an Amateur-Built aircraft here... How often will that coincide in the same airspace with someone with NVG's?
I fly night on NVGs in civilian airspace sometimes, so do my colleagues. There is also an increasing amount of helos flying on gogs at night in the same airspace a small GA A/C would...

StudentPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by StudentPilot »

AuxBatOn wrote:I fly night on NVGs in civilian airspace sometimes, so do my colleagues. There is also an increasing amount of helos flying on gogs at night in the same airspace a small GA A/C would...
With the increasing use of LEDs, I guess that just means everyone flying on NVGs will need to fly two crew - one on NVGs and one without - so they can see and avoid other traffic :lol: Or TC could just make yet another regulation... :evil:

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

AuxBatOn wrote:
AirFrame wrote:
I fly night on NVGs in civilian airspace sometimes, so do my colleagues. There is also an increasing amount of helos flying on gogs at night in the same airspace a small GA A/C would...
I'm curious about this as I like the idea of LED aircraft lighting too. What principle do your NVGs work on that they can't see LED lights? If it's an infrared thing would the hot engine not be visible to you?

LnS.

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Not all LED's are invisible to NVG. Only ones with certain wavelengths...

http://ledsmagazine.com/news/6/3/9

Return to “Homebuilders”