Availability of Quality Aerobatic Training

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

mphawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Availability of Quality Aerobatic Training

Post by mphawk »

take a vacation to disney world in orlando florida, while in central florida you can get all the aerobatic flight instruction your stomach can take! You can fly a pitts with steve wolf, a p-51d in kissime fl, heck a club in deland florida eagle sport aviation they have a pitts s-2b and an ask21 aerobatic glider you can get instruction in that too. stearmans, at-6's also to rent.
---------- ADS -----------

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

Steve Wolf is a great instructor and knows everything there is to know about Pitts'.

rv4flyer1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rv4flyer1 »

Check out Harv's Air in Steinbach, Manitoba. www.harvsair.com 204-326-2434

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

In Alberta there are also options for basic aerobatic training in Citabrias at both the Calgary Flying Club and the Namao Flying Club and possibly a Decathlon at Super T Aviation in Medicine Hat.

Dave Hadfield
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dave Hadfield »

Aerobatics was a huge part of my flying life, and still is to some extent. Most of it was self-taught -- I read all the books available in the late 1970s and tried out the basic maneuvers in the Citabria I was flying. Then my father got wind of it and started teaching me a few things (how not to yank the wings off), and later we went on various courses together, one in Florida.

I met my wife at an aerobatic contest, Centralia, 1980. I got 2 prizes that time! I flew the Stampe SV4B, and later a Decathlon at that time. And I ran the Nationals, in Gimli, for 5 years.

Aerobatic competence makes an enormous difference in one's self-confidence while flying. Banked attitudes and upside-down just don't alarm you any more. You know you can recover, and thus don't fuss about it. And to know the stall, intimately, as a reliable aid to maneuvering, is liberating.

Flying aeros is one thing, but doing it at a competition, and being judged on the roundness and straightness and positioning of each maneuver, is completely different. It is orders-of-magnitude more difficult, and among the most precise flying I've ever done. The "box" looks SO TINY!

These days I display warbirds for Vintage Wings, which involves simple loops and various rolls. Not too difficult, except keeping the display in the "box" during strong winds. But I do chandelles and lazy-8s when I checkout in all new aircraft -- they're the best way to get to know a new machine that I'm aware of. And I fly lots of old, vintage, or homebuilt types. We own a Fairchild 24W (which is strong and quite nimble) and an RV6a. Aerobatic training -- and lots of tailwheel time! -- is the foundation of all that.

A friend of mine recently got his private and bought a 172, and happened to mention that he hasn't stalled it yet. I was secretly appalled. It's on my to-do list with him ASAP.

Dave

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”