Trying new maneuvers for the first time

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

niwre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Trying new maneuvers for the first time

Post by niwre »

Any suggestions?

I want to try a few things out, now I am not one of these "crazy" people that will just do it a hope for the best. I don't want to have things go south on me. Now altitude for me is key. Also reading.... lots of reading on how to perform the maneuver too, watching videos is one thing however most of the time how to perform the "exit" is not shown. I can easily picture the inputs for the "entry" but that's the easy part. Like the derry turn easy to enter but I am having a heck of a time to compensate for the wing loading and getting that "outside wing" to stall. I do also have a competent person at the controls with me but they have not performed this maneuver either but has done almost every other maneuver except snap roll and avalanche because the airframe cant take it. Maybe a smack upside the head might help :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

What you need to know is, how to get what you need to know.

This is not a retreat. Its an advance to the rear.

There are only 10 people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Trying new maneuvers for the first time

Post by Hedley »

*** edited ***

Last edited by Hedley on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niwre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by niwre »

Hedley wrote:Before you experiment with aerobatics:

1) learn about ALL modes of spins and
spin recovery techniques, because you're
going to end up there, sooner or later
Funny you should mention, we want to enter the spin from an inverted position. But thank you for the tips, I know that the spin is not an aerobatic maneuver but it is an "unusual" entry (for me anyways) and I don't want to futz things up. There is a golf course at the airport though and I do own a set of clubs...

There are only 10 people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

Nwire,

I like the fact that you want altitude. But how much altitude? When you begin in the acro world - specifically when self taught - NOTHING replaces altitude underneath your butt. When I began flying acro again, after close to 10 years absence, I did my first loop at 7000ft AGL.

Even now a day I start my season high. I ended the last season flying acro comfortably at 250ft AGL (I fly airshows), but when I returned this spring - after 4 months off - I did my first training sortie at 3000ft agl.

Enjoy and fly safe

F

niwre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by niwre »

I'm talking like 6000' agl over flat prairie with not much around in terms of obstacles. Now I have done avalanches before but now I want to keep it going to see what happens. That's why I will have experience with me. I guess its more about the apprehension of trying a new maneuver but, I guess that's what has kept me alive so far :rolleyes:

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Now I have done avalanches before but now I want to keep it going to see what happens.
Don't know what kind of plane you are flying but an avalanche is of course a snap flown rather slowly, say 100MPH at the top of a loop from inverted to inverted. I rather enjoy them as they look very pretty with a smoke trail and don't damage the plane too much. Unfortunately if you continue them onto the downline its gonna get expensive ;) I'd suggest instead starting the first one on the 45 upline and ending the last one on a 45 downline (say 3 max) That way you go from a known moderate G to a known moderate G, rather than starting at a very low G (the apogee) and ending nose down in a very high G situation.

Here is one shot with my rear facing cam .. good fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nF2s6ZEKis

You could also save yourself a ton of money by powering back just before they start by 100 RPM or so. Full power high G snaps can be incredibly expensive. For example I had my wings rebuilt at 700hrs and I'm a pretty gentle pilot. Now I only do level or down snaps at substantially reduced power or airspeed.

niwre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by niwre »

done that too... was part of my aero training

Talking about inducing a spin from an inverted position and see where it goes. The reason I used the avalanche example was that I have done maneuvers in the inverted position before. I just don't want to "hot dogs" because I would become a "dead dog" quickly. But look at me I "was" a person who could do a spin comfortably but would balk at doing anything else other than doing a "steeper" steep turn :lol: a year ago. Now flying inverted is not good enough :rolleyes: aerobatics is more addicting than crack (not that I have done it) :mrgreen:

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

*** edited ***

Last edited by Hedley on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

The Beggs Mueller spin recovery method works pretty good I have found. It doesn't matter if you are inverted or upright or have no clue what is going on :rolleyes: . It is only fractionaly slower, if at all, from the standard spin recovery. When you purposely enter a spin you know which way you booted the rudder and the recovery is usually obvious. It's when you screw up something and end up spinnin that the Beggs Mueller method is handy

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”