First flight in a real Civy aerobatic Aircraft

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

First flight in a real Civy aerobatic Aircraft

Post by Skyhunter »

While in England on course I had a 0.9 dual flight in an Pitts S2C. Terrific flight. Loved the airplane. The flight was basically an intro to what the Pitts could do. For most things the IP would demo and I would try. Some of simple stuff just tried on my own. Did stall, spin, (played with into spin and away from spin controls), inverted spin (hate to admit but needed to be told which rudder to push to recover), hammer head, snap roll (did about 10 but never felt like I could come close to matching the demo), various loops (including inside and outside), rolls and combos such as cubans, cloverleafs and barrels. Was demo'd only a tail slide and tumble. No attempt was made to make the aero's look pretty more just to get a feel for the aircraft. Didn't land or take but did everything til very short final. Taxied as well... vis sucks but after figuring out the weave it wasn't to bad to deal with.

Must say,,, I absolutely loved the flight and the airplane. First thing I said when getting down was,,, man I gotta get me one of these. Anyone want to loan me a significant amount of money interest free for about 3 years before I start to pay it back :).

Seriously.. might be a bit before can by my own aerobatic bird (wifes car and boat to pay off first) but I have definately been biten by the bug and will be getting something as soon as it is feasible.
---------- ADS -----------

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: First flight in a real Civy aerobatic Aircraft

Post by Skyhunter »

Engine Guy,

Not the first time doing areo's... just the first time in something other than a jet, and there are certain things I wasn't ever able to try because of aircraft limitations. Tail slides, snap rolls and inverted spins and the like being the main ones.

The negative G was kind of new to me. Haven't done that much of it before... and when we do it is for a very short period of time. It wasn't too bad.. but kept the neg G to 3ish. Not comfortable... but not that bad. The inverted spin... will need to do a few of those to really be comfortable with how that all works.

Loved the S2C, nice crisp handling airplane. Felt a bit like a fighter but lighter. Quicker to respond in pitch but not roll. Just felt very nimble, and responded well. For basic flying just have to think it where you want it to go, much like riding a sport bike.

Will want to try a flight in a Sukhoi and an extra now... but will have to save some money for those.

Cheers

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Engine Guy, Will do that, never know when one gets the chance to get out west. Will definitely let you know, as would love to see what the Sukhoi is like.

tiggermoth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tiggermoth »

Well, I had the experience of a lifetime yesterday as well. My very first experiene with aerobatics and formation flight all in one go. I had the chance to go for a ride with Jerzy Strzyz in Kevin Hopkins Sukhoi 29. All I can say is, HOLY S*&T what a ride. Slow rolls, fast rolls, a torque roll, hammerhead, loop, formation with a Harvard and Harmon Rocket!!!!! He even gave me the chance to fly it a bit, what a change from my Cessna 172!!!

Plus......I never even felt sick :D

Thank you Jerzy, Kevin, and the FSJ Airshow crew for making this happen. It certainly was something I will never forget.

Tigger

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”