Cassutt 111 for sale

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Cassutt 111 for sale

Post by AEROBAT »

There is a cassutt for sale on barnstomers for $24000, apparently racing in the Bronze class. Pretty cheap flying and a lot of fun! Plus it is in Canada so no hassle from Transport trying to import.
---------- ADS -----------

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Cassutt 111 for sale

Post by Strega »

I read somewhere the Cassutt has one of the highest stall spin accident rates of ANY airplane..

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

I have seen them flown in aerobatic contests where spins are sort of required so it's likely not a plane problem .....

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

Strega wrote:I read somewhere the Cassutt has one of the highest stall spin accident rates of ANY airplane..
Most people who fly them already have a pretty good handle on spin recovery. If you are refering to accidents when pylon racing they are not very far off the ground and quite often end up inverted from prop wash and vortex from the other planes. That is why one of the things you must demo is a roll inverted then a roll back in the opposite direction to upright with minimal altitude loss.

If you are too ham fisted in spin recovery you end up in a cross over with most F1 type planes. I know mine does 8)

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

Aerobat,

Do you have a Cassutt? and or fly one?

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

Strega wrote:Aerobat,

Do you have a Cassutt? and or fly one?
No, I have a Midget Mustang. There are not many M-1 Mustangs in F1 anymore, they bleed too much energy when you pull a lot of G as compared to Cassuts with the newer [longer] wings.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

Aerobat,

Do you race your mustang?

This is something Id like do!

S

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

I would love to try F1 but Reno is a long ways away from here, plus my engine is an O-235 and the rules require an O-200. It is probably the cheapest form of racing to get into. I was looking on Barnstormers again last night and there were three Cassutts for sale.

You can race prep an O-200 for not much more than a regular re-build. The pylon course you have to take seems very reasonable in price as well. One year they were using a Harmon Rocket for the trainer.

I wish Canada had some form of air racing. I suppose you could have a race like Sun n Fun and Transport wouldn't care as long as there was no "assembly of people" watching it.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

I was in Van the other day and I guess the owner crashed the plane that was in the ad

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

That's too bad, did he damage the plane much? If he is the same fellow I am thinking of he had a Mong Biplane for sale a few years ago as well. Those little planes keep you on your toes for sure. I don't buy into the theory of the smaller the plane the easier it is to fly.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

I heard it was totalled, I googled around a bit and found some pieces of it for sale on the racing clubs website.

http://www.if1airracing.com/IF1_ForSale.php

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”