Aviat or Extra?

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

moyo26
Rank 2
Rank 2

Aviat or Extra?

Post by moyo26 »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by moyo26 on Tue May 07, 2019 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Aviat or Extra?

Post by Hedley »

Last edited by Hedley on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

I've flown them both ;)

Whats not to love about the Extra, big bubble canopy, very easy to fly but hard to fly well. Serious cross country machine.
Very easy to land (compared to the Pitts) and I think aerobatics is easier also however it is more tricky to control the speed as they are very sleek and its easy to get a lot of G/speed if you are not careful.

Spin rates/roll rates etc. are very high and the Extra can be controlled easily at pretty much 0mph while the Pitts at that speed or so requires a lot more skill to make it go where you want when its at a dead stop.

What looks better at an airshow or contest .. totally subjective .. my preference is the Sukhoi and I'd get an Su-26 over an Extra or a Pitts any day (if I could afford one).

Peter

moyo26
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by moyo26 »

Last edited by moyo26 on Tue May 07, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Couple of other points of comparison. I think the hanger costs of the Extra will be much higher than the Pitts (larger square footage) but the Extra can tollerate being outside for the night in the rain at the occasional contest or overnight stop over while you really can't leave a Pitts outside overnight in the rain (they leak worse than a seive). I believe that the Extra can be flown legally at night while I don't think the Pitts has that option. Having landed a Pitts at dusk a few times I can see why ;)

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

I would take the Extra. By the way, Pitts can be flown at night if you have the equipment on board, as a matter of fact they can be certified IFR. There was one in Western Canada set up for IFR, a Pitts S2B.

Jerz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jerz »

Neither one, if your goal is Unlimited. S2S will not fly that category, and early E300 - just barely. S1-11 is the only Unlimited capable Pitts, but it hasn't score well ant any serious contest in decades... Save /borrow/steal another $30k and buy Su26. You will never look back.
Excuse me being presumptuous, but it seems that you are just starting up in the sport . If that's the case, get nice S1S (or Yak 55) for 20% of your budget and fly the wings off it for the first 2-3 years. Make your move then, if still so inclined. Most pilots find Advanced challenging enough and never make it to Unltd. There is nothing wrong with that. You can be a World Champion in Advanced. It takes huge commitment to fly Unlimited, even at regional level. No more then maybe 5% of pilots are willing/able to go all the way. And it takes more then $$$...usually cost you your marriage.
Cheers
PS
You can pm/email me with more specific questions

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”