Question for you formation flyers out there.

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Question for you formation flyers out there.

Post by . ._ »

Hi folks,

I was wondering:

From what I've heard, when you're flying formation and you have an in-flight emergency like loss of power, high temp/low oil pressure combo, low fuel etc., you break from formation and deal with the emergency.

So specifically, if you're in a big formation or a small formation, how do you break formation? Do you do the Hedley-style stick forward "see ya later", or just peel off if you're on the end of an echelon? Is there a standard way of getting out?

I don't do any formation flying, and I'm not planning on it- a little too close for my comfort levels. I'm just curious.

Thanks,
istp
---------- ADS -----------

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Question for you formation flyers out there.

Post by Blakey »

All briefed beforehand and specific to each posiiton of a large formation such as the Snowbirds. A few common rules:

1. Stay in formation, if you can, until it is safe to depart. IE: If you have a comm fail, it's not a critical emergency. Stay in position until such time as lead comes looking for you on comms and realizes you're NORDO or until it is safe to depart the formation and recover NORDO on your own. The middle of a formation change at the top of a 9-plane roll is not the place to be making unexpected position changes if you don't have to. If you have to depart at a time like this, (Engine flame out for example.) you depart in the safest manner possible respecting the other rules as you go.

2. Depart to the outside of the formation or below the formation as the situation and altitude permit.

3. Inform lead as soon as safely possible.

4. Keep other formation aircraft visual or avoid their last know position if loss of visual due to inadvertent IMC is the problem.

5. Use comms and all other means to ensure good separation SA for all. Altitude separation is your best protection.

This always used to be exciting when we would practice the Inadvertent IMC procedure with a 12-plane of Hercs!

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Every form flight I fly (2 to 4 ship form) starts with a comprehensive preflight brief. This goes over every manoever and the order they will be performed and finishes with a review of emergencies. If immediate power and control are uneffected (ie rising oil temp, low fuel etc) than the affected aircraft tells lead the nature of the emergency and lead will split the formation into two 2 ship elements. The aircraft in trouble will assume lead of his element with his number two alongside to provide assistance as required. If there is an immediate issue of loss of power or control the affected aircraft will lave the formation via the safest route and lead will assist as required.

Interestingly I had a Comm failure a couple of weeks ago. The phone jack shorted out killing the radios shortly after takeoff. It was a complete non event as I used a hand signal to alert lead and we continued the flight as briefed using as usual the normal hand signals. The formation arrival with a overhead break got me neatly on the ground and all in all it was a total non event.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

As said, there is always an escape route for every position in the formation. Also, stay in the formation if you can, but loosen up to deal with the emergency. Don't forget mutual support from other aircraft in the formation.

Going for the deck at corner
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Comm failure
civilian pilots will be surprised to learn that comm failure is nearly a non-event in formation.

Years ago, I had a comm failure doing formation aerobatics over the water, with one mag dead as I learned later. Non-event, even with the towered airport - I just did a formation approach and side-by-side landing.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

OK. Thanks guys. I guess you just leave the formation in the safest way possible and tell someone.

Sounds like common sense that should be regulated by Transport Canada.

(I'm just messin' with ya, Hedley. :P )

Thanks again.

-istp :)

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”