Anyone Flown Aerobatics With SOSA?

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CNU8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Anyone Flown Aerobatics With SOSA?

Post by CNU8 »

To start, I have no time in gliders and am well aware that I will probably need to get my glider licence; I do already have my Recreational Permit. As much as I would love to head down to the states or to Harv's and do 10 hours in a pitts, it is a bit hard when you are making minimum wage. I figure for about the same price as doing the 10 hour pitts thing, I could get my Gliders Licence and start flying aerobatics at SOSA. If anyone has flown with them let me know how it was, please.
---------- ADS -----------

ScottHolmes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Anyone Flown Aerobatics With SOSA?

Post by ScottHolmes »

I've flown acro at Harv's, SOSA, Florida, and various places in Alberta. Although I highly recommend you get your glider license regardless, getting it just to fly upside down might not be worth it. remember that unpowered glider aerobatic rides need a VERY high tow. from where I come from, that's 6000 feet at a rate of $12/1000 feet plus the glider airtime cost. So in the end after a 20-minute glider aerobatic ride where you actually get to fly aerobatics for 5 minutes or so and spend 15 minutes on tow, you will owe around 80 bucks.

Powered acro on the other hand is much less restrictive. I think Harv's charges 130/hr or so for their Citabria aerobatics (unverified). In an hour-long flight, you would probably get over half an hour of pure acro in the Citabria.

Both the instructors at Harv's and SOSA are friends of mine and both have great programs in my opinion. But in the interest of cost "per maneuver", I'd probably recommend you do the powered aerobatics at Harv's especially if you dont have a glider license.

When I was in your position and still in college, I'd head down to Harv's for a week at the end of every summer and fly their Citabria and Pitts. Then I'd fly minimally over the winter until the next summer. Worked great.

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

Man $130.00 per hour for a Citabria dual is dirt cheap...I'd check into that.

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

not difficult, it's right on Harv's website

robertsailor1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by robertsailor1 »

Checked and thats solo not dual and its the 7EC which is the little engine but that is still an excellent deal.
If you are learning aerobatics as something your going to continue your better off learning in a prop driven light aircraft because the P factor of the prop changes how you fly compared to a glider. Its not that the training would be a waste of time because it wouldn't but your $$$ is better spent on a powered aircraft.

ScottHolmes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ScottHolmes »

totally agree with robertsailor1. he is bang on.

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”