EAA AirVenture Oshkosh July 29 - Aug 4, 2013

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

flyalmaguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: EAA AirVenture Oshkosh July 29 - Aug 4, 2013

Post by flyalmaguin »

Well after 9 months of waiting and planning, we depart home for Oshkosh Saturday morning. Already have the tent trailer packed, not including food and drinks which we will pick up on the way there.

From everything we can find online, it seems the shuttle buses running through Camp Scholler will be our best bet for getting to and from the gate. Don't have a lot of room for bikes in the tow vehicle :(

Can't wait :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I gave up on my bicycle last year.

There is a real good grocery store just a bit north of the airport. They had everything we wanted and more. Also the prices were good. Well at least to us but then again we're in YYC.

Have fun and come back with stories.

flyalmaguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re:

Post by flyalmaguin »

Beefitarian wrote:I gave up on my bicycle last year.
What are the shuttles like? We are kinda counting on them to get us to the gate from wherever we end up camped :lol:
Beefitarian wrote:There is a real good grocery store just a bit north of the airport. They had everything we wanted and more. Also the prices were good.
Are the prices as good or better than WallyMart (tm)? Do they stock enough product as I imagine they are busy this week! We plan on stopping in Marinette at the Supercenter while enroute....

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

The shuttles were excellent. I could beat them with my bicycle by taking a shortcut as long as I was not towing my kids.

They are basically school busses going through the camp to the gates, pioneer field and the bus tower, you can get busses to places like malls etc. at the bus tower. Once you're at the gate you have to leave the bike behind.

The area inside the gate is just as big as the camp. There are shuttles there that are trailers pulled by tractors. Also good if you don't feel like walking a couple miles between the ultra light strip and war bird alley or wherever. There is basically 3 airports, 2 are inside the gates.

If you don't have pets you can probably camp pretty close to a red barn. That is where the showers and toilets are. Shuttle buses will stop there also.

Our dog will be vacationing with his best friends here next time.

I suspect Walmart has better prices. I avoid that place. Lowering prices, quality and job conditions. I understand though. We stopped at one to park overnight last trip, I was up early so I went I to use the restroom. They had crazy prices. Tempted me toward the dark side.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Ok, check in people.

Where are the trip reports for my vicarious, jealousy inducing reading?

I hope everyone is soaking it in and having a great time.

jump154
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jump154 »

Also sitting in my office green-eyed. Wife has givne me permission for a future trip though, date TBC. Actually told me she enjoyed herself last year :D

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

We're penciled in for 2014.

Here's something not safe for work.

http://www.airventure.org/webcams/

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Well Beef - thank your lucky stars you aren't here. It's dreadful as always. :lol:

Actually, it's great of course. Aviation nirvana. Different without the military presence but still so much to see and do a week is not enough. One disappointment is that you'd think EAA has shares in Terrafugia. That Rube Goldberg thing flew a couple of times and the announcer carried on like Vince selling a Sham-Wow.

A couple of the Honda jets flew a few times and they looked quite impressive and are very quiet.

But the most fun is it's Just so great to hang out and see old friends, see all the new gadgets and always a new plane (Hey, I've never seen one of those before!) just around the corner.

I'll sign off now as I'm pretty busy sitting in the shade of the wing, watching the airshow and sipping a Guiness. Oh yeah!

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Well Boys
Just got home from the "Kosh"
Had a great time , lots to see as usual
Also went to a couple of off field Airport BBQ's
Got the Boys( qty 10) together and raided SOS Brotherson Tuesday night
Loud music fom a live band, cheap beer , lots of pilot bullshit AND plenty of Bunnies in bikini tops and short shorts :smt040
Sorry no pictures - what happens at Oshkosh stays at Oshkosh

The show has changed a bit and is getting more corporate every year
Still there is no place like it anywhere
Ran into lots of friends two of whom the Colonel would like
They flew a Maule across the lake at 1500ft :shock: no life jackets > no problem
Did a bit of vintage parts business with and Aussie that needed a vintage hand crank starter for his PT - Ryan and that paid for my trip :wink:

One week in a tent :rolleyes: glad to be home
and that

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Just got back from the homebuilder's dinner, and in relation to what fleet16b mentioned on the corporate focus, there has been a change at the EAA. The previous president. Rod Hightower has left and the new guy, Jack Pelton signals a return to the roots focus. A lot of EAA members felt the EAA had lost its way and was not only becoming more corporate but also somewhat accepting of whatever the FAA directed. The change at the top will definitely result in changes and it will be interesting just what and how much actually happens.

But whatever occurs, it's simply the best thing any pilot or wannabe pilot can attend. If you haven't yet then do so. If you have before - do it again. You will never regret it.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Cool. Even if it went on without me. Nice to hear they're going back to the roots. I love me some EAA.

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

Just came back from "kosh" last night. Ill post some pics soon. This was my first time so i cant compare with the previous years but it was breath taking.
I was planning for 3 days there but the wx turned heavy ifr enroute and i had to park it over night at port huron. So it was only 2 full days for me to see and enjoy the show. I crossed the lake much higher than the boys i maule. I dont trust this plane yet.

Actually the most fun i had was watching arrival landings on 36 after the airshow.

Colonel was that you on the comm saying "lets go alabama boy" refering to the harrier guy?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I went to the museum on Wednesday but couldn't get the pictures I wanted as the Eagle Hangar was closed for a private function :evil:. Was on my way out when I spotted a guy in front of a bunch of chairs in the Rutan area who looked like Dick Rutan. Then he started talking about flying around the world unrefuelled and it was Dick Rutan! Fabulously interesting to hear him talk about the project and specifically his feelings about it.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

ahramin, I was there too. And more or less the same thing - just stumbled on Dick speaking. There's so much going on all around the place you can't keep it all straight. But the great thing is you can bump into those guys after a session or on the way to one and they'll chat just like any other pilot. Pretty cool - Osh kinda brings everyone back to the basic love of aviation. That's why everyone on aviation should go at least once. And then try to stay away.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I think they close the Eagle hangar every year during AirVenture for private functions.

I started videoing Dick's talk last year but the camera died.

flyalmaguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyalmaguin »

We got home yesterday afternoon....

My poor wife and children, they will be listening to and sorting through endless stories and pictures (I honestly took over 1000 pics!) for weeks to come :lol:

I concur about the Terafugia, way too much talking and advertising, but I guess that's what happens when the CEO of the company is with the announcer at the microphone :roll:

As a first time visitor to Oshkosh I really don't have any complaints, and certainly do have many memories and stories to tell.

Met Chris Hadfield after the Space Night Forum at Theatre in The Woods. Chris spoke on a panel that included Apollo 16 Astronaut and moonwalker Charlie Duke, and two shuttle commanders whose names escape me at the momment. Incredible evening.

Bumped into Kermit Weeks of Fantasy of Flight and spoke with him for 10 minutes, got a book signed for my daughters. An incredibly passionate person.

Then, when at the Museum (best one I've been to, including Dayton AFM), Dad and I realized the person standing beside us looking at the same engine display was Clay Lacy, aviation icon and entrepeneur. We spoke with him for about 15 minutes, and not once did it seem like we were anything less than fellow buffs. When I thanked him for everything he has done for aviation over the years, he said "Let me turn that around a bit.... I think I still owe aviation for everything it has done for me"..... amazing.

One thing missing from the airshows was any sort of current military hardware due to the sequestration by the government. The airshows were still really good, even if they repeated a lot of content from day to day. I just love heavy iron, turning and burning. The night airshows were unbelievable. Fireworks done like only Americans do them topped off with a wall of fire finale large enough to make your face warm from 3/4 of a km away! :shock:

Not once, even one single time did I ever see anyone pissed off, angry or disrespectful to anyone or anything at the show. Any big show/fair/concert I've ever been to looked like a disaster after the crowd thinned, leaving garbage and debris everywhere. For some reason and I think it has to do with the respect people have for FOD and perhaps respect for the amount of volunteer hours put into the event, the place was near spotless all week.

We've said for years this was a "bucket list" item for my father and I to do. I think however it may remain in the bucket to be done again :smt040

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

There are somethings there beyond airplanes. My wife and kids talk about going back now as if it was just a normal thing to do. "When we go to Oshkosh next time..."

We did combine it with strategic stops at a few extras like the mall of America, Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument. Still, I think the family programs there are excellent and effective. Also that church group's amazing chili dogs near the bus tower/main gate.

I never thought I'd say this but, I wouldn't mind not having to plug my ears for the fighter jet high powered low passes. Then again I did enjoy them a bit when we were there.

I remember in the 1990s when our military was on a tight budget. An acquaintance of mine had a friend who was a CF-18 pilot tell him, "Pilots are barely able to get enough flights to stay current."

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=2680136529001

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Delete

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”