WAC

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Jerz
Rank 3
Rank 3

WAC

Post by Jerz »

The biggest event in aerobatics is underway in Sherman Denison, Texas. Canada has a team for the first time since 1996. Dave Barbet of Calgary amazed everybody having a good flight in Q program in a Pitts S1S - the only 4 cylinder bi-plane in a field of high performance monoplanes. More at www.WAC2013.com
---------- ADS -----------

jamesel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: WAC

Post by jamesel »

Amazing, good show, Dave.
Noticed the 26's aren't doing too bad either - not all going to the latest & most expensive machines..
Good Luck Jerzy, here's hoping the weather picks up..

Jerz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jerz »

Thanks. Dave had a beautiful flight and was the only pilot to get cheers from everybody so far. He would've had scored better if it wasn't for the 250 points "Low" penalty. Don't remember when was the last time 4 cyl Pitts flown the WAC, probably 20 years ago, or so. It is funny to see his little Pitts in a hangar full of shinny half million dollars monoplanes.
The weather has been a real problem so far - winds over the CIVA limits and today low ceiling. Forecast is bad for the next couple days. The Europeans voted against bumping up the limits, so now we have to finish the Q program in under 12m/sec winds. We have flown only 38 pilots in 4 days. I am nr 49...maybe tomorrow. I may need a re-currency check by then. Also the chances of flying the unknowns are slipping away.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

And a Canadian Pitts no less. Has to be first time for a biplane at the WAC in a very long time!

Looks like the Extras are making a comeback to the higher rankings too.

Jerz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jerz »

Yeah, the Extra 330 SC is much different animal then the 300S. The 330SC, Xtreme, and MXS are the highest performance birds here. The Russians haven't brought their latest Sukhois 26M3.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Oh to have unlimited funds!

But heck the Su 26's are getting reasonable now, 150k or so. That still my favorite of the lot.

Too bad about the weather, usually its the UK that is a mess. last time in the US in Florida I seem to recall very nice weather, although there were TFRs that grounded the planes for a day I think.

Best of luck to the Canadians!

Peter

Jerz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jerz »

Thanks Peter. Sukhois are indeed incredible value right now, both 26 and 29s. I had a chance to sample some of the latest monoplanes and while really impressive at high speed, still not as good as Sukhois at slow speed. Considering we fly in a cubic kilometer of airspace , being fast is not necessary an advantage.

The rumor has it that World Championship in Advanced category may be coming to North America in 2016. Get in there Peter and start practicing. You would look good in one...

Things here look miserable this morning. We woke up to rain and low clouds.

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”