Starting Flight Training Now-Am I Crazy!!!

Place a topic in this forum to introduce yourself and find a little advice.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

Carcillo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Starting Flight Training Now-Am I Crazy!!!

Post by Carcillo »

Hey everybody! Starting my dream to become CPL this spring. I have the money to finish everything for CPL and some more to enroll in either Multi or Instructor. I do like showing/teaching people how to do things. I know I would enjoy helping people achieve the 'gift of flight', however, I am not a 20 something and would like to have a job/career where I wasn't making under $15,000 a year (at least in say, 5 years!).

I am leaning towards getting my training done at Harv's Air. They aren't the closest to where I live, but, getting away from the distractions of the city may be the ideal way to get my ratings done and study for those tests! Also, does Harv's have a high turnover rate of instructors? Obviously, this could affect my career decision making process as well.

If anybody did any training at Harv's and has any advice on any aspect of their experience there I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

sissyphus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Starting Flight Training Now-Am I Crazy!!!

Post by sissyphus »

Congrats. Its a long hard road to get qualified and working, but very enjoyable.

I can't tell you much about Harv's other than they have a great reputation in the industry. If you're looking to stay in the province, then you're going to be working for Perimeter. Its hard to avoid. My advice is to get started early. Once you've got you flight test done (min 150 hrs) get a job working ramp/cargo/reservations at Perimeter.

Aviation works on seniority, get in quick. You have to put in your time in non flying duties which is usually 1 year. Expect 2 years, but there have been cases where its been only a month. It all depends on the state of the industry. Use your off time to get your multi/ifr, then build time towards your 200 requirement for the cpl. By the time everything comes together, you'll be sitting pretty for a right seat job logging good hours.

If at that time there's no movement, get an instructors rating. You can save some money with sim lessons as an employee, which you could bank towards the instructor rating.

Best of luck
---------- ADS -----------

The mouth is the anus of the mind.

Return to “AvCanada's Mentor Program”