My sweet First Post

Place a topic in this forum to introduce yourself and find a little advice.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

CelBatrin
Rank 4
Rank 4

My sweet First Post

Post by CelBatrin »

Hey all!
Just registered on the forum after some time browsing, and I've decided this would be the place for a first post.

Anyway, in my 20s and will be in this aviation biz most likely for the rest of my life (against my better judgment and all that). Just graduated university with an engineering degree and looking for a job (probably will for some time to come). At about 110TT with a night rating and currently flying out of CYKF. Planning on a MultiIFR so I'm just brushing the 50h PIC XC off. I'll try and score some of those at night as I've read that the 25h PIC XC night is sometimes an issue for the ATPL.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice/comments.

See you guys around. :)
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by CelBatrin on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'll just sneak through here... they'll never see me if I stay low.
SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: My sweet First Post

Post by SkyWolfe »

Go be an engineer and buy your plane :P

Okay, if ya got the bug THAT bad... What advice are you looking for?

CelBatrin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CelBatrin »

Ha ha, I don't know bout that, cant even afford a car right now... And yeah I do have it THAT bad.
As for the advice... If I knew what I wanted to hear it wouldn't be much advice (just someone echoing my own thoughts back to me).

But let me shoot this question: Is a JAA conversion worth it? Do I have a better chance at low time flying over there? I've been hearing that being fluent in English and knowing one of the local languages there would be a significant asset. Any thoughts (advice :wink: )?

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

CelBatrin wrote:Is a JAA conversion worth it? Do I have a better chance at low time flying over there? I've been hearing that being fluent in English and knowing one of the local languages there would be a significant asset. Any thoughts (advice :wink: )?
By exploring this avenue, I assume you already possess one of the European's Country Citizenship/right to work there.
But if you don't have the money for a car, how will you do for a JAA conversion !?
It is quite costly and time consuming.

To answer your question, I don't think it will guaranty you a job more as a low timer than here in Canada.

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

love the avatar

I am ahead, I am advanced
I am the first mammal to make plans, yeah
I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
It's evolution, baby
Do the evolution

CelBatrin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CelBatrin »

looproll wrote:love the avatar

I am ahead, I am advanced
I am the first mammal to make plans, yeah
I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
It's evolution, baby
Do the evolution
Spot On Spot On!
I captured and cropped it myself 8). Yours Is more "action packed" though.

By exploring this avenue, I assume you already possess one of the European's Country Citizenship/right to work there. But if you don't have the money for a car, how will you do for a JAA conversion !?
Hmm yeah..., and financing is a bummer. I heard bout EUR5000. Is that horribly misinformed? And I got the remainder of this CPL to go....
Maybe your right about the chances, but when you do get to fly there, don't you generally fly bigger (bigger plane to total time ratio)?

Last edited by CelBatrin on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lowaltituderecord
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lowaltituderecord »

"go be an engineer and buy your plane"

Don't worry about not making a lot of money as an engineer when you start out, my first job out of college paid only $11/hr.

I make 90K now, don't have to work very hard for it either.

Stick with the engineering, you can also use the TN visa program to get jobs in the US with that engineering degree, all you need is a job offer. Just put down a local address and don't even tell them you live in Canada, many do this successfully.

yvanddivans
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yvanddivans »

lowaltituderecord wrote:"go be an engineer and buy your plane"

Don't worry about not making a lot of money as an engineer when you start out, my first job out of college paid only $11/hr.

I make 90K now, don't have to work very hard for it either.

Stick with the engineering, you can also use the TN visa program to get jobs in the US with that engineering degree, all you need is a job offer. Just put down a local address and don't even tell them you live in Canada, many do this successfully.
You can also have a chance to crash in a desert and know what to do with the scraps of the old plane to build a new one and escape from rampaging sand people! :roll: :lol:

Private Pilot - 09/2009

Return to “AvCanada's Mentor Program”