Where to go from here..

Place a topic in this forum to introduce yourself and find a little advice.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

povertypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Where to go from here..

Post by povertypilot »

Hi, I'm a long time lurker on the boards, but I've found myself on here more and more recently, so I figured I'd sign up. I'm trying to decide what to do.. I have just over 400hrs, I don't have a flying job right now but I am trying to build time. I tow gliders on weekends, and get to fly at the company I'm with occasionally (maint. test flights/ferry flights) so I am slowly accumulating time (trying to crest 500h for med f/o). I'm coming up for renewal on my Group 1, which hasn't really done anything for me since I got it. I did have a job at NAC Air but I never got into the aircraft, and I know the industry has changed enough now that I don't think I really have that option of putting a short amount of time on the ramp and getting into an aircraft like the PC-12 now. Which is really frustrating to think of where I'd be now if they hadn't gone down, but I can't live in the past...

Anyway.. I'm trying to decide if I should renew my group 1, coming up on Jan 1... (if I am aiming to renew, better to do in the fall or wait till spring??). Or if I should put off going the IFR route for a while and try to scrape together enough money for an instructor rating. Given my current income/debt load I can't really afford either option, but if I want to continue in aviation I think I need to do one or the other in order to get a flying job.

I've already received tons of great advice from friends, I just thought I'd open this up to a larger audience and see what people suggest.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Where to go from here..

Post by xsbank »

If you are unemployed, get EI to finance your IFR - just be convincing.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Where to go from here..

Post by AuxBatOn »

Do you NEED you MIFR now? If now, I'd wait till you have your 500 hrs TT.

Going for the deck at corner

Return to “AvCanada's Mentor Program”