Central Mountain Air

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

powerbrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Central Mountain Air

Post by powerbrian »

Central Mountain Air.

I have yet to find any recent information. It does not look like they have been hiring much lately.

With that being said, does anybody have any current info with regards to First Officer pay scales, schedules, work conditions, bases etc. This would be for any of their aircraft.

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Central Mountain Air

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

No idea about recent info, but I would hope to god they would pay more than what Airline Pilot Central said 4 years ago (info updated 2011):

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... untain_air

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

They pay much more than that

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

32k ish first year fo
50k ish first year captain

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.
wowie_kazowie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wowie_kazowie »

How does the hiring for the 328 and the Dash work? If there is an opening do guys move over from the 1900? Or do they take someone off the street? finally do they prefer higher time guys for these positions or similar to the 1900?
Thanks

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

wowie_kazowie wrote:How does the hiring for the 328 and the Dash work? If there is an opening do guys move over from the 1900? Or do they take someone off the street? finally do they prefer higher time guys for these positions or similar to the 1900?
Thanks
I'm interested too. I've heard the 1900 FOs would rather wait for an upgrade on the 1900 than go right seat on another aircraft, so most of the 705 hiring is external. Any truth to that? And any hiring planned for those aircraft?

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

Does anyone have current info on CMA?
What is the situation for over 1000 hr f/o applicants?
Pay, schedules, upgrade times, differences between bases and types, etc?
PM if you prefer.

the AK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the AK »

Wakco's wage is accurate. The reason for the adds coming out is that the vast majority of the 1900 fo's simply weren't willing to take upgrades on either the 1900's or the 705 machines. They understand the reality that there isn't any point in staying when they could just wait for Jazz. 1900 pilots fly 20 days a month for little money while the cost of living keeps increasing. The simple fact is that "perks" like airline passes don't pay rent or mortgages. A few months ago the schedule was changing every single day making any chance at living a life for your 20 days on a complete impossibility. Pilot bases for types are 1900 = Calgary, Vancouver, Smithers, Prince George. Dash = one 300 in Calgary and 2 100's in Vancouver. Dornier are all based in Calgary. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason on who gets hired for what type.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

the AK can correct me if I'm wrong but all internal postings go by seniority, so odds are if a dash or dornier position is open to the outside, nobody internal wanted it. The bond, and the schedule, as well as having to move could all be factors in addition to pay.

the AK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the AK »

You are correct, they do go by seniority but also (somewhat) by experience and time on type. What I mean by that is that if a pilot was trained on the 1900 8 months ago then they would stand almost zero chance of going on the 705 machines. The company won't spend the money on initial training on a 1900 just to spend more money on a 705 initial. Unfortunately by the time a pilot has spent 2 years on a 1900 they kinda have the whole thing figured out and start applying elsewhere. Let me put it too you this way, about three months ago they had an internal posting out for a Vancouver dash crew. Nobody within the company applied leading to two outside hires. Now that being said they started a dash 2 weeks ago with two pilots from within the company so maybe it has changed. One thing that is important for anyone thinking to apply is that you don't receive pay until you are done your PPC is complete at which time you receive the pay for your time spent training. So you will go about a month without any money coming in which is an important thing to factor into any budget that you may have. Another is the fact that the company runs most of the 705 machines with about 1 and a half crews per plane. I personally haven't put a scheduling bid in in about 9 months because there isn't really any point. I am going to get what I am going to get.

the AK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the AK »

I just looked at the current draft that came out for July and the crewing levels are

CYYC Dornier (3 planes) = 4 Capts based in CYYC + 2 Capts who are management based in Smithers. 5 FO's
CYYC Dash 1 300 = 1 Capt 0 FO's
CYVR Dash 2 100's = 3 Capts 2 FO's (1 Capt and 1 FO in gorundschool / sim)

apilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by apilot »

A few perks of CMA:
- good maintenance, easy to talk to, no pressure to fly an aircraft that you deem unacceptable
- good 704 CP, always working hard towards a safe operation and better conditions for pilots, frustratingly little power on costless HR practices that would make pilots happier to stay
- no operational support for middle management
- bond
- as written before, training is only paid after it is complete
- no written policy or transparency on payscales, upgrade criteria, benefits, roster building
- rosters published on the 25th for the following month, drafts one day before
- crewsched does not build rosters. HR does, through a 3rd party. Crewsched puts out fires
- seniority only a minor factor in scheduling
- any first sick day is unpaid. Either you take the pay cut or you work on a day off (usually very short notice) to make up for it. Consequence: pilots flying despite being sick
- impractical travel benefits : no online system, instead paper tickets that need to be requested two weeks in advance, then fetched from the office at your base; not even possible to book oneself on a CMA flight on short notice, especially if on a weekend
- submit your vacation requests before the end of the year, but only in February will you know if you get them. If you are in the 50% that gets them as requested. If not awarded then, you'll only know when the rosters are published. They may get cancelled by HR if too short staffed.
- for low-timers going in the Tier 1 program : 2 to 3 year wait before ground school, then up to 6-month wait for flight training. If poor recruitment planning from HR, a ground school of DECs may jump ahead of you for flight training.

apilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by apilot »

20 work days per month.
Extension of duty day may happen if someone is sick or an aircraft goes mechanical.
2 weeks off per year after a full calendar year of employment. Bid for vacation before December 31st, if you get what you requested you know it by late February. If not, when rosters come out.
Rosters published on the 25th for the following month. Bid for roster before the 8th of the month. Seniority only a factor among others in building rosters. Crewsched does not design the rosters. HR does. No published policy.
Crewsched does the logistics for training and puts out fires when something unplanned arises, working with the limited resources they get.
No published payscale, even internally. The memo that came out 4 years ago when everybody got a raise has not been accessible for years now.
First sick day is unpaid. Either take the pay cut or accept to work on a day off to "pay it back". Or work when sick, like many others.
Good maintenance. Good 704 CP. Good bunch of pilots. Good CSAs at the smaller bases.

the AK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the AK »

I guess we can cross "good 704 CP" off that list

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

the AK wrote:I guess we can cross "good 704 CP" off that list
Elaborate

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
the AK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the AK »

Got hired by AC from what I heard

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

Nice. I really thought he was a lifer :) must have had enough of the BS.

the AK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by the AK »

Ya it would be a tough job at the best of times now that the hiring is on it would be a nightmare.

alexdenham
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by alexdenham »

Wacko wrote:32k ish first year fo
50k ish first year captain
This is accurate but people may come in on the scale at a different place if they come with experience.
apilot wrote:First sick day is unpaid. Either take the pay cut or accept to work on a day off to "pay it back". Or work when sick, like many others.
Happy to say that the sick policy was revised and there is now a policy with paid sick days that has been well received by the pilot group.
apilot wrote:good 704 CP
Thanks mystery internet people. Appreciate it! I did what I could! :prayer:
Wacko wrote:Nice. I really thought he was a lifer :) must have had enough of the BS.
Never been a lifer at CMA, AC has been the objective all along and my life at CMA doesn't have anything to do with the timing of the leave. It's just taken this long to get through the AC process. :D

Return to “Employment Forum”