Austin Airways mishap, 1986

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Austin Airways mishap, 1986

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Was there an TSB report on this accident? Sounds like it would be interesting reading.

On 19 January 1986, Douglas C-47A C-GNNA struck a 150 feet (46 m) high Non-directional beacon tower and crashed at Sachigo Lake Airport, Ontario.[7] After clipping the top of the tower the pilot lost use of ailerons and plane began flipping over. He used the rudder to correct and spotted the runway making a controlled crash landing. The pilot saved all 5 on board with his actions but he himself suffered two crushed vertebrae.
---------- ADS -----------

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Austin Airways mishap, 1986

Post by Mr. North »

Well I doubt anyone would question the pilot's ability to fly an NDB approach after that!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I remember reading a report of a DC-3 hitting an antenna but I though it was fatal. Probably was published by the CASB.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

There are several crash sites in Canada that are on a specific bearing from an NDB tower. Not an isolated incident, I'm afraid. I guess sometimes one is a little bit better at certain things than one gives oneself credit for; otherwise they might have borne in mind the height of the NDB tower. "Close" only counts in horseshoes...

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Close" only counts in horseshoes...
Horsefeathers!. Close counts in hand gernades, curling, shuffleboard......I could go on.....

Gone are the good old days when men had brylcream in their hair, flew with no gas reserves, and minimums were the price the peeler bar charged for a drink.....

Yet today, despite huge increases in technology, touchy feelie Sensitivity training, and TC's fine oversight, we still have pilots flying planes into the ground....

Go figure

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”