Where to keep logbook

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Where to keep logbook

Post by rotorspeed »

I always carried my log book in my flight bag thinking I had to have it on me when flying. I guess that's not the case. Is it better to not keep it with you. Due to loss or something else
---------- ADS -----------

ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Where to keep logbook

Post by ditar »

I keep it in iCloud.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

I have the good old physical book

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Purely your choice, but since it's not a legal requirement to carry it and you are exposing it to more risk of loss/damage, I'd leave it at home. I used to carry little pocket logbooks to enter my flights and then transfer them to my logbook once a month.

But I would strongly recommend an electronic logbook. Everyone has their own (strongly-held lol) opinion of which one is better, this or that brand or an Excel spreadsheet, but whatever one chooses, the advantages of digital far outweigh the disadvantages. And the sooner you start entering the data, the less you'll have to catch up later.

You can maintain both if you really want to. But digital ones now can be printed to exactly the same format as a paper one if a hardcopy is required so why bother? I do not know of any company or regulatory authority in the world that won't accept a printout of a digital logbook, and so far I've dealt with Transport Canada, FAA, UAE GCAA, UK CAA with no issues. Always a first time I guess.

Just backup backup backup.

Of course if you're just flying recreationally a few hours/year, a paper one is fine, but I'd still leave it at home. Your invoices will have the flight times on them and you can transfer those. Dunno what type of operations you're flying.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

I started flight training in the 90's and had to stop when i was almost done. I am finishing up now and the school I went to back then is no longer around. My proof of hours is my log book. I don't know if they used pilot traning logs back then I any case I don't have one

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

On paper in my house, pictures of all pages in the cloud and photocopies in another town.

I'm not interested in an electronic logbook, they're gonna have to force me to do it.

unenthused
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by unenthused »

In a drawer at home.

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

What about the Journey Log? I understand there's a legal requirement to carry it onboard, but the chance of loss is always present.

One could keep the JL at home, and enter the data from notes after the flight.

Do I do that? Uhh ......

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

Journey log is needed for the chance ramp inspection. If you lose it, the tech logs contain the maintenance history. Flight info can be re-created from pilot logbook.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

My flying career spanning nearly sixty years and counting...

Attachments
LOGBOOKS2.jpg
LOGBOOKS2.jpg (727.45 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

rotorspeed wrote: My proof of hours is my log book
Yeah, that's sorta the reason not to carry it with you. And to have a backup copy.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Paper, scanned and backed up every time a page is filled, and an Excel spreadsheet formatted the same as the paper book. Excel keeps an eye on the math for me. The paper book lives on a shelf at home - I try to carry as few things in my flight bag as possible.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I count my paper logbooks amongst my most valuable records and documents and are treated accordingly- they live in a safe, at home, only to be taken out when updating records or when absolutely necessary.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Orvlrite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Orvlrite »

1+ LogTen Pro

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:What about the Journey Log? I understand there's a legal requirement to carry it onboard, but the chance of loss is always present.

One could keep the JL at home, and enter the data from notes after the flight.

Do I do that? Uhh ......
Journey Log has to be onboard unless you are taking off and landing in the same place within a certain radius.

Return to “General Comments”