High Blood Pressure

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

jdm1982
Rank 0
Rank 0

High Blood Pressure

Post by jdm1982 »

Let me start with saying please feel free to PM me if that is more suitable.

I am giving serious consideration to a late start in this profession. I have always had consistently high blood pressure. Would taking blood pressure medication disqualify me from obtaining my CAT 1 medical?

It runs in the family and my mother who is fairly healthy could no longer control her BP through exercise and diet and has to take medication to control her BP now. This leads me to believe that I will likely end up with the same fate eventually.

The Transport Canada medical FAQ section seems to only address “Renal Stone, SSRI, HIV, and Diabetes”

I’ve had a bit of a read through the Guidelines for medical examiners by conditions: cardiovascular disease section, but I’m no doctor! It talks about “in license holders”, but does that apply to fresh applicants as well?

Not sure if it matters or would affect a future application, but I failed a CAT 1 two years ago due to my high BP when I was curious if I could pass it. The doctor was concerned about my high BP and I asked him if it was even worth submitting to Transport Canada, but he said to try anyway.

How well/badly would it go over if I contacted the following with an inquiry? (I know what dealing with the government can be like lol)

PACIFIC REGION
British Columbia

Civil Aviation Medicine
Transport Canada
820-800 Burrard St.
Vancouver, BC
V6Z 2J8

Telephone:  1-800-305-2059
Telephone:  (604) 666-5601 (General)
Facsimile: (604) 666-0145
E-mail:  rosmin.nathoo@tc.gc.ca
---------- ADS -----------

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: High Blood Pressure

Post by ZBBYLW »

I nor anyone on this board will be able to help you unless an AME is on here. My 2 cents, contact them and see where it goes. The medical professionals are the only one s with an idea on what means a criteria.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Hypertension won't disqualify you alone.

It can be managed with medication.

There are a couple medications that aren't compatible with a Cat I med... but many that are.

Find a good Dr.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Last edited by CL-Skadoo! on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Go all veg man. Start there, and give it 6 weeks to 3months, then assess.

Read "Engine 2 diet" - Rip Esselstyn

jdm1982
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jdm1982 »

Thanks for the replies!

By pure coincidence I ended up stumbling on a show called "plant pure" on Netflix last night so I figured I might as well watch it. The show was interesting. I think I may give going veg a shot. Nothing to loose (other than hopefully some weight and bp points)

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

jdm1982 wrote:Nothing to loose (other than hopefully some weight and bp points)
....and any semblance of enjoyment from eating. :wink:

Seriously though, if you can find a doctor that isn't a CAME or directly associated with TC but knows a bit about pilots as they could possibly be a source of consultation before talking with a CAME.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I've heard of a couple of cases where prescription drugs were accepted for blood pressure control and they regained and kept their Cat 1.

So I don't think you are condemned at all.

for comparison purposes, my pressure is typically at 129/80, not the greatest but within limits. I did get a scare once when a CAME recorded 140/100 and had all kinds of grief from TC until I got three independent readings well below that, and everything fell into place.

Moral of the story is that it is perhaps not that big of a deal.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Mikehills101
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mikehills101 »

All I can say about this, it is a traitor disease. Healthy living is a must!

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

Mikehills101 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:02 am All I can say about this, it is a traitor disease. Healthy living is a must!
Diet foremost. More vegetables, greens and natural products.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

makmoco wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:38 am
Mikehills101 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:02 am All I can say about this, it is a traitor disease. Healthy living is a must!
Diet foremost. More vegetables, greens and natural products.
It isn't always that simple.

Genetics comes into play for many with early onset hypertension. In some cases, an injury can bring it on.

Despite healthy diet and active lifestyle, it strikes some and it's manageable with you keeping your medical.

dpm
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dpm »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:58 pm I had issues with my blood pressure earlier in my career, entire family has battled with it. Switched to a vegetarian diet for the last 15 years and I sit around 115/65, obviously your mileage may vary and its not for everyone, but if anything, I just wanted to say others have been there and found a way.
I became vegetarian 20 years ago, but I'm not a very healthy-eating vegetarian, and maybe that's why it didn't help—fries and cheese pizza are both vegetarian meals, after all. :)

More seriously, my numbers are only slightly over, and have been since my 20s (and are for most of my extended family, regardless of weight or fitness level). I've used several different meds over the years to control it, and the TC aviation medical person (Toronto office) has never given me grief for a class III medical, at least. They just ask me to wait a week or two after changing meds to see how I'm tolerating them.

@CYRO
Uwish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Uwish »

http://eamastrangelo.ca/blog.html

Blog from a Canadian AME regarding BP specifically. Apparently, in Canada there are no 'hard' limits other than the very high caps (180 systolic and 105 diastolic) if you get that, you fail. But it also goes on to say that reading above 140 and 90 should warrant 'further investigation'

Not sure what that really means, may they want to ensure your also not sig overweight? or have other health risk factors?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm a bit annoyed about how everything is so difficult to find information on.

I went to a new doctor a while ago and she panicked and wanted to feed me some pills. This might be fun if there was better information about them.

I have been prescribed coversyl. I have not made it to the pharmacy so I don't know if they will just fill it with that or recommend generic.

I feel like it would have been easier to go to med school than put in the hours of Google chasing to finally find out it might be a good choice. Even though my brother had the dry cough and did not enjoy it.

I found a few blogs with the FAA acceptable medications list. Everything Transport Canada is secret squirrel.

...I used to love this country.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Question: If you have a high BP, are you on medication?

If so, and it is controlled within limits, no problem.
If so, and it is NOT controlled within limits, problem.

If not on medication, go see your physician and get it under control. Sometimes the fix is something as simple as a "P" pill...

I have been on medication for years...

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Uwish wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:17 pm http://eamastrangelo.ca/blog.html

Blog from a Canadian AME regarding BP specifically. Apparently, in Canada there are no 'hard' limits other than the very high caps (180 systolic and 105 diastolic) if you get that, you fail. But it also goes on to say that reading above 140 and 90 should warrant 'further investigation'

Not sure what that really means, may they want to ensure your also not sig overweight? or have other health risk factors?
Yup can't possibly spell it out straight like a quick google search for the FAA limits. Gotta make it as subjective as possible. I will say I currently have high blood pressure. 145/90 to 155/100. I was on coversyl for a while am currently off (probably going back on) also just lost my thyroid, lymph nodes. I'm 255lbs and pre-diabetic after getting my weight down from 285 and being type 2 diet controlled. (Yeah I thought diabetes was permanent. Guess the answer is not necessarily) I still have a Cat 1. You'll be ok.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I don't think the coversyl is fixing me but maybe my doc will try something else. I need to find a fitness buddy that will harass me if I'm not at the pool three times a week.

What are you taking Schooner69?

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

C-GGGQ wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:43 amI will say I currently have high blood pressure. 145/90 to 155/100.
So how long did it take from your CAME finding this to you getting your medical signed? Mine wouldn't sign mine this past week, saying it had to go for "further consideration" in Vancouver. Knowing how fast other parts of TC are working right now, am I going to be grounded for 6 months, or are they going to be reasonably snappy about it? What did you have to do between diagnosis and getting a stamp on the medical?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

My only hang up was I forgot I was due for a EKG. Had to go back.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Due for my next one next month. Due to the cancer/ surgery I have lost weight. And blood pressure is lower now. Other than feeling like garbage right now due to being off meds and on a special low iodine diet for radioactive iodine therapy which will be over in a week, I'm confident the medical will be fine.

Return to “Health & Fitness”