Jazz Hatters

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Jazz Hatters

Post by iamnomaverick »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:And in my experience, it's been those captains who preach professionalism, that never practice it, and do things way outside the SOP's because "that's how I've always done it." One guy in particular had absolutely no idea what calls to make in a go around ffs! And he's been at Jazz for over a decade!
PostmasterGeeral, If that story is true then said FO should have filed an SMS and dealt with it professionally, not by posting it on a avcanada.
---------- ADS -----------

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

iamnomaverick wrote:
HansDietrich wrote:I tend to get defensive when people call me "butt-hurt", especially after putting my time in and paying my dues. Did I know about Jazz and what it was offering? Yes. I knew the pay, I knew schedule, I knew the routes, I knew the aircraft. What I didn't know is about the 4 year freeze and the fact that it's very hard to get a weekend off (1 out of 4 would be sufficient for me). These are the only things I didn't expect.

Anyway, I worked way too hard to get to Jazz and I'm celebrating my time here, but I'm not going to hide or deny the fact that I want something else (aircraft wise)... and it'll come... If not next year, the next... and if not... there's WJ, Sky Regional, Transat, Encore, Porter, Corporate, etc. Nobody's holding a gun to my head to stay here; and why should they? It's a free world, ain't it?
HansdietRich,

Up until the point you called me "arrogant" for assuming the convo was between a Captain and an FO I never made any comments about you, just regarding the story. You were just the guy who overheard said conversation. However you seemed to be interested in attacking me personally for some reason.

I am on no high horse, I just don't exactly enjoy hearing people complaining about the pay here. I am not saying they shouldn't be paid more (contrary but that is not in my hands), however, they agreed and signed the contract so they better be prepared to follow it and stay professional while the opportunity they came here for comes their way. some of us are here for the long run so we don't need to hear it all the time.(This is in no way directed at you personally HansDietRich)

I wish you good luck in getting on the type you want or on your next move.
I apologize for my rudeness. Believe me, I want every one of the pilots at Jazz to have the best careers and lifestyle they can possibly get.

Cheers

Hans

Das ist mir wurst...
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

iamnomaverick wrote:
PostmasterGeneral wrote:And in my experience, it's been those captains who preach professionalism, that never practice it, and do things way outside the SOP's because "that's how I've always done it." One guy in particular had absolutely no idea what calls to make in a go around ffs! And he's been at Jazz for over a decade!
PostmasterGeeral, If that story is true then said FO should have filed an SMS and dealt with it professionally, not by posting it on a avcanada.
I did.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I did.
What was the result of your filing?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

Thanks for clarifying in response to my post iamnomaverick :goodman:

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

I had the privilege of wearing an oxygen mask with a beard while flying a corporate machine. It fit just fine, the amount of force the back straps apply to your head combined with the pressure from O2 being dispensed is probably sufficient for deep sea diving.
I think if a beard is kept neatly trimmed and the owner is capable of growing one, then it can portray a very professional pilot. Definitely don't want to see a duck dynasty facial travesty on anyone I work with.
As I sometime have to remind my f/o's- if you can't figure out how to put on a uniform how can you expect passengers to assume that you can figure out how to fly a plane.

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.
short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

Hey iamnomaverick, just so ya know, you're "that" guy

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

HansDietrich wrote:
iamnomaverick wrote:
HansDietrich wrote:IamnoMaverick:

That's pretty arrogant of you sir. First of all, it was a CAPTAIN that said that, not an F/O. Most First Officers I know at Jazz love the uniform and finally "looking the part".
I don't agree at all. perhaps you should have clarified cause I have never encountered or seen an instants were the FO was questioning their captain about their hat so I call BS on your entire story... So you are saying Captains at Jazz are not being paid professionally now?

From all your previous posts I understand that you are butt hurt over flying the classic but really that is no reason to sewer your co-workers or the company that puts food on the table.

Go back and read my post:
I said: (quote)
"Best answer yet (I heard it in the Lounge at YYZ between two Jazz pilots)..."

It was you which (in your arrogance) automatically assumed it must have been an F/O. It was actually a captain speaking to another captain (probably his friend). You can call "BS" on my story all you want. Among the things I've heard in the crew room:

1. This uniforms sucks
2. This uniform has no pockets
3. I'm not even wearing those retarded pants. I bought my own at Mark's Wearhouse, because they have back pockets.
... and the list goes on.

So what if I'm "butt-hurt" about flying the Classic Dash? I paid my dues in the industry and now I want something more. Is that wrong? Eventually I'll get it. Till, then I'll come to work, wear my uniform (which I actually really really like, no bullshit here, including the hat) and last and most definitely not least:, fly that plane as I'm supposed to do it, by the book (to the best of my ability and knowledge), always strive for something better and offer the best service I can to our customers, because guess what? I am also a customer of AC (and Express)... and my family and my friends are also customers of Air Canada (and Express).

Get off your high horse and come down to the real world, where you'll realize that we're all in this together. Bitching a little here and there on some online forum is not the end of the world.

P.S. When's your time for retirement? (Just curious)
No pockets anywhere on the uniform? I would take issue with that as well. Call me old fashioned, not quite ready to equip myself with a man purse. :lol:

I really really hope that I misread the entire subject and that there is at least one pocket somewhere on the uniform to at least put a wallet and car keys and spare change.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Air.Field wrote:I think most FOs feel they aren't being paid professionally, and that would be correct. Does that mean you're not going to fly with any FO? Does that mean they don't take flying the plane professionally? Especially over a hat? Have you seen anyone fly unprofessionally? Or refuse to put the gear down? I think you are obviously reaching for something that is not there.
If you think the guy next to you deserves to get paid 36k a year, that's your opinion, easy to think that when you comfortably make over 100k more. The majority think it's too low, again everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's great you love your job, but the job isn't for everyone. For most now a days it's the stepping stone to AC. If someone wants to be non compliant with uniform, sop or whatever, then talk to them, if no response send the CP a email and let mgmt deal with it. But to think anyone at Jazz is unprofessional... I certainly haven't seen it, and would fly on a Jazz crewed plane any day.
+1

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

HansDietrich wrote:
iamnomaverick wrote:
HansDietrich wrote:I tend to get defensive when people call me "butt-hurt", especially after putting my time in and paying my dues. Did I know about Jazz and what it was offering? Yes. I knew the pay, I knew schedule, I knew the routes, I knew the aircraft. What I didn't know is about the 4 year freeze and the fact that it's very hard to get a weekend off (1 out of 4 would be sufficient for me). These are the only things I didn't expect.

Anyway, I worked way too hard to get to Jazz and I'm celebrating my time here, but I'm not going to hide or deny the fact that I want something else (aircraft wise)... and it'll come... If not next year, the next... and if not... there's WJ, Sky Regional, Transat, Encore, Porter, Corporate, etc. Nobody's holding a gun to my head to stay here; and why should they? It's a free world, ain't it?
HansdietRich,

Up until the point you called me "arrogant" for assuming the convo was between a Captain and an FO I never made any comments about you, just regarding the story. You were just the guy who overheard said conversation. However you seemed to be interested in attacking me personally for some reason.

I am on no high horse, I just don't exactly enjoy hearing people complaining about the pay here. I am not saying they shouldn't be paid more (contrary but that is not in my hands), however, they agreed and signed the contract so they better be prepared to follow it and stay professional while the opportunity they came here for comes their way. some of us are here for the long run so we don't need to hear it all the time.(This is in no way directed at you personally HansDietRich)

I wish you good luck in getting on the type you want or on your next move.
I apologize for my rudeness. Believe me, I want every one of the pilots at Jazz to have the best careers and lifestyle they can possibly get.

Cheers

Hans
No worries buddy, I believe you and know that things can get frustrating sometimes when you have worked hard for something but no getting the results you are looking for but you will eventually get where you want to be one way or another. We all do.

Good Luck!

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

Air.Field wrote:Thanks for clarifying in response to my post iamnomaverick :goodman:
8)

Last edited by iamnomaverick on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

short bus wrote:Hey iamnomaverick, just so ya know, you're "that" guy

Hardly.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Interesting thread. For what it's worth I always fly wearing my hat. And only my hat. I like the feeling of cheap vinyl on my taint.

Also I'm disappointing in hearing people hate on my almost nipple length beard. How the @#$! else am I supposed to know when the Cherokee goes inverted?

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

To wear the hat or not
Such a dilemma who would have thought
Not about safety, skill, or technique would we talk
No, only if you don't wear your hat should I walk?
Beards, their size, their shape, their length
Would somehow lend the arguments strength
Both sides would get madder and madder
Some would say, much like a hatter

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Somebody want to grab the mic he just dropped?

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

BEST. POST. IN .THE. HISTORY. OF. "AVCANADA"

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

Hatters gonna hat

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »