Pros and Cons of owning a Maule

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Pros and Cons of owning a Maule

Post by Art Garfunkel »

I am looking at owning a smaller float plane that can handle two adults and a child. I have been searching N. American websites for C172, C180, and C182's and have come across several Maules. To be honest, I don't really know too much about them other than a casual word here and there that their wing is inferior. (too much chord and not enough span).

Does anyone here have any experience with them? They look like a real workhorse for the size. It wouldn't be used for any x-country or extended trips. Just buzzing around from lake to lake visiting friends. Any extra info would be great!

Regards,

Art
---------- ADS -----------

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Pros and Cons of owning a Maule

Post by waterdog »

I went through the exact same process last year, I ended up buying a Lake Buccaneer. I can comfortably get my wife and 12 year old daughter in it along with a 70 lb dog, lots of luggage room and fuel and easily be under gross. When you take out the weight and cost of amphibious floats there is a whole lot of more room for stuff. The Lakes have some vices and you absolutely have to do the 25hr course to learn how to fly them safely. That said I've had mine for a summer, put more then 70hrs on it in the last couple of months and wouldn't give it up for anything.
Happy to walk through more info on them if you want, just pm me.

Good Luck

Kyle
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”