Deadstick.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Deadstick.

Post by Cat Driver »

Where did the saying " deadstick " come from.

I do almost every landing with the throttle/'s closed from fifty feet to touch down because I can get better landings without power.

Sure does not feel like the stick is dead to me.

Anyone?
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Deadstick.

Post by GyvAir »

The Wikipedia take:

The "stick" does not refer to the flight controls, which in most aircraft are either fully or partially functional without engine power, but to the traditional wooden propeller, which without power would just be a "dead stick".[1]

[1] OED Online entry for "dead stick" (Oxford English Dictionary

Doesn't ring very true to me.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Me either.

Usually when describing any flight control use the words describe the action or lack of.

However the expression deadstick has been around forever and I guess it really is not all that important.

So when I reduce the power to zero thrust at fifty feet I just killed the prop.

If I need power before touch down and move the throttle/'s forward I have resurrected the prop?

Hey I like that sort of gives it a biblical touch. :prayer:

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

When a/c used rotary engines, back when . and I were learning to fly, they didn't have throttles, just a kill button. You had to get good at letting the engine slow down, but not too far or it would quit cold. No starters. Not saying this is the origin, just saying.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I believe it originated from the vary earliest airplanes. They had limited power and very high drag so a power failure resulted in a sudden reduction in airspeed often into the stall regime thus rendering the control stick “dead” or unresponsive.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Some interesting comments.

goingmach_1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by goingmach_1 »

Seeing how we are exploring ancient aviation terminology, where did "taxing" an aircraft come from? Or the "button" of the runway? Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

You are not hijacking the thread because it is about words that are used that do not seem to describe the action being observed. :mrgreen:

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

goingmach_1 wrote:Seeing how we are exploring ancient aviation terminology, where did "taxing" an aircraft come from? Or the "button" of the runway? Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.
Here's a whole page on taxi airplanes:

https://esnpc.blogspot.ca/2016/05/fligh ... y-and.html

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
dash8dave
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dash8dave »

If we are talking about old sayings my favourite is the 'near miss'. If two planes had a near miss, didn't they actually hit each other?

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." - Albert Einstein
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

When a/c used rotary engines, back when . and I were learning to fly
Are we talkin about the GNOME ROTARY ??? :D

I think I know where the word Cock-pit came from--- damn male chauvinist pigs ! Where is F___ is the bridge on an aeroplane?

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

.:

About that "deadstick" thing you're talking about. I feel that we know each other well enough now that I can suggest (in all confidence, of course) that there are pills now for that little problem.

Dr Hirondelle.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Whenever I had "power to spare" my "stick" was surely not ""dead" but on the rare occasions when the A/C fan stopped functioning, I got hot and bothered and my schtick went from hard and active to soft and DEAD !!! :roll:

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I don’t know about “deadstick”, but the word “cockpit” of course, like many aviation terms, comes from nautical parlance referring to, variously, the area on the orlop or ‘tween decks where the midshipmen lived on a warship, or the helm area on a yacht or small cutter. And that term, in turn, refers to the arena, if you want to call it that, in which people traditionally staged fights between fighting roosters. It has nothing to do with male genitalia at all. The other day I said “cockpit” and a flight attendant told me she wasn’t sure if I should be using such a “sexist” term. For fucks sake. People are getting more and more stupid.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

How about "ramp"

BTW, has anyone ever heard a pilot using the word "tarmac"?

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

We need an Etymologist.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Meatservo wrote:The other day I said “cockpit” and a flight attendant told me she wasn’t sure if I should be using such a “sexist” term. For fucks sake. People are getting more and more stupid.
Did you give him/her a nice pat on the bum as you told them to go get you a coffee? :smt040

Here's one: Ded or dead reckoning?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Mach1 wrote:We need an Etymologist.
"Hi, I've found a fault with the English language and I need an entomologist"
"An etymologist you mean?"
"Νo. It's a bug, not a feature"

Badum-tsh.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Dead stick refers to the propellor. Every etymological reference i've ever seen has said so, it must be true...

Here's one people have fun debating... Where did "ditching" an aircraft come from? The most interesting explanation i've heard is that WWII pilots referred to the Atlantic as "the pond" and the English Channel as "the ditch". Running out of gas (or structural integrity) on the way back from a sortie into Europe aircraft sometimes had to land out in the Channel... Hence "ditching". I've only seen that story referred to once or twice, though, so I don't know if it's completely valid.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

From the online etymology dictionary:
http://www.etymonline.com/word/ditch
ditch (v.)
late 14c., "surround with a ditch; dig a ditch;" from ditch (n.). Meaning "to throw into a ditch" is from 1816, hence sense of "abandon, discard," first recorded 1899 in American English. Of aircraft, by 1941. Related: Ditched; ditching.
dead reckoning (n.)
"ascertaining the position of a ship by measurement of the distance run," 1610s, might be from nautical abbreviation ded. ("deduced") in log books, but it also fits dead (adj.) in the sense of "unrelieved, absolute."
taxi (v.)
1911, of airplanes, from slang use of taxi (n.) for "aircraft," or from or reinforced "in allusion to the way a taxi driver slowly cruises when looking for fares" [Barnhart]. Related: Taxied; taxiing.
cockpit (n.)
1580s, "a pit for fighting cocks," from cock (n.1) + pit (n.1). Used in nautical sense (1706) for midshipmen's compartment below decks; transferred to airplanes (1914) and to cars (1930s).

Return to “General Comments”